How Was Your Golfing Summer? Targets Acheived? Gives us a Review.

elliottlale

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
well, i joined my first club and recieved my first handicap of 27 at the start of the golfing season. i practised as often as i could and got early doors on my own so i was able to spend time with my girlfriend whilst i was home over the weekend from work. had a few lessons and even the pro said he thought i was off 10 by my swing. alas no.....in the 3 comps i entered went up 0.1 twice and the 2 supplementary cards i put in, also 0.1 each time. i find i just get annoyed with myself if i duff a shot and it all goes pete tong after that! prime example, 4th hole, par 3, about 175 yds, hit a great 6 iron onto the front of the green, walking up, thinking at least a 3 here, walked off with FIVE!!!! need to put more work in, stop being so self critical and try and relax playing. i know i can do it, being out with friends with no cards being submitted have shot 83, 87 and lots of low 90s!

goldenbare

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I wasn’t going to admit it publicly but perhaps its the best way of getting rid of the demons. After a frustrating year (but eventually only having gone up by .3 overall so far) A shot which I cannot even work out what went wrong caused me to throw my 8 iron in disgust and it snapped in half on the rock hard ground still affecting our course.
On reflection I think my poor 8 iron took the brunt of my frustration with life in general, a S**t year at work and at home finally culminated in me destroying something that I will find difficult to replace in my current situation. Sounds about par for the course.
Will have to go back to the Cobra irons which I couldn’t use when I bought them last year.

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
Generally very positive
3rd final in 4 years in Winter 4 ball (but lost)
Won Team Texas Scramble in June (?)
Won Summer Eclectic
Won work Golf Day
Reached career goal of 9.4 :) then gave it straight back this weekend :(
And won the GM PING day

sweatysock41

Q-School Graduate
www.oakridgegolfclub.co.uk
Not a bad year at all, won one comp in April - thought that was going to be the start of a good year. Aim was to get handicap down by at least 3 this year - actually achieved 4 so got to be pleased with that. Striking the ball much better now - just got to spend more time with that V-Easy thing to improve the putting.:rolleyes:

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Started the year on 11 with the aim (hope) of getting down to 8 (since lots just aim for sf).

I thought I could do it by cutting out the disaster holes, but instead got down to 7 thanks to a purple patch with my short game.

Back up to 8 now my putter has gone off the boil and I still have disasters :(
It's soul destroying going from having a great card going to a poor one in the space of 2 or 3 holes because there's not many shots to play with. Muchos respect to the Cat1 golfers.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Pretty good really.

Won 2 comps (and 2 society away days), a load of 2nd and 3rd places and handicap come down from 11 odd to 6.7 now.

More specific stuff I beat 80 for the first time round my course and now can't seem to go over it and had 3 rounds with no 3 putts aswell.

Really enjoyed it, first full year playing in comps etc and have met some great folk, played some nice courses and also some good golf.

Actually quite looking forward to the winter golf shortly......

Achilles

Challenge Tour Pro
www.cirencestergolfclub.co.uk
A difficult year for me. After a really good winter of bedding in my swing, I ruptured my Achilles playing football at the end of January. That put me out until the start of May so I felt like I was starting over. Missing out on so many months of golf was not fun!

Joined a new club and decided to forget about targets. Primary focus has been to get back into things and most importantly make sure I enjoy myself (not always the case!), and I finally feel like I'm now getting some consistency back. I've met some great people this year and have managed to get my handicap down from 20.9 to 19.7. Not a big leap but I'm happy with how I've progressed given the circumstances. Cannot wait for the next season as really determined to make up for lost time, and play in as many comps as possible - something I've not been able to do this year. Roll on 2012!

Mark_G

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Well my target during my first year was to get a handicap and break 100, cards for my handicap are going in and I broke 100 on Sunday. Next target is to break 100 again, and again, and again.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Too long in the tooth for setting targets - I just get out there as often as possible, try my best and see what happens.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Wanted to get from 11.6 to single figures - Failed with flying colours. Touched 14 at one point and then won a monthly stableford to get back down to 12.6 so in essence only gone up 1 full shot.

The negatives
Short game issues despite diligent practice and lessons - all mental now
Huge issues with consistancy

The positives
Qualifying for the Forest of Arden
Enjoyed it more this year apart from one round where I gave up.
Still managed to win a comp at Royal Ascot
Played more than I practiced
Shot a personal best around Ascot
Played a lot more meets and events

Not bothering with goals now. It's about playing, putting some work in on the swing over the winter and enjoying getting out and hitting it

Slicer30

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Got my handicap of 22.5 at the end of last season and never got any comps in before the winter.

So spent alot of the winter itching to get my first competitive season underway. Feel like I'd like to have played more comps and definetely have progressed from last year. Made a big effort to improve the short game and ball striking and this year has definetely had lots of positives.

Comps - 2 stableford wins and 1 medal win. 3 second places. All of which gave me enough to buy a new bag.
PB - Having broke 90 only once before, the PB dropped considerably with a 79 during a period when I was playing my best golf. Regularly break 90 now bar the odd day when the shanks pay a visit :)

Unfortunately during that purple period I wasn't able to get in any comps so the handicap has dropped from 22.5 to 19.8 only.

Got 3 comps lined up this month starting sunday so I hope to get to at least 18 before the winter.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
My target was consolidation of my 8 handicap.

Well it's now 4.7 so that didn't work.

Might have to do some more consolidation next year too....:confused:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Won a club trophy and had a hole in one. Not a bad year.

We have suffered from a long dry spell this year and the course has become very dry and parched, the greens are good but the rock hard fairways have affected my short game where it is almost impossible to create lob shots or nice floating pitches, the ball is also subject to unpredictable bounces that can punish good shots. Hopeing for a bit more rain next year.

B

birdieman

Last played in late May, was hampered by shoulder so just stopped as I felt I was wasting my time. With a bit of back trouble too I have not really been fit for golf since July 2009. Hoping I'll be fit for next spring but this frozen shoulder is not budging presently. Missing the exercise associated with golf as much if not more than the golf itself.
Total waste of a membership fee this year - 2 rounds at home club.
Not a good golf year.

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Last played in late May, was hampered by shoulder so just stopped as I felt I was wasting my time. With a bit of back trouble too I have not really been fit for golf since July 2009. Hoping I'll be fit for next spring but this frozen shoulder is not budging presently. Missing the exercise associated with golf as much if not more than the golf itself.
Total waste of a membership fee this year - 2 rounds at home club.
Not a good golf year.

Where did you join in the end Stuart?

When your fit I'll get you over for a knock.

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well after joining last October this was my first ever full season. Aimed for 24 hcp got 26.1 which I will take as a first hcp. Playing more was achieved averaging a round a week. Keep enjoying the game, sort of achieved. Lastly and most important for me was not to come last in our lads day out at the Warwickshire which I achieved by coming third from last!! Mid table next year!

lobthewedge

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Had a great year.

Went from 4.4 down to 2.9, reckon I would have got lower too if we had a bit more decent weather.
Shot a gross 67 (-4 par) the lowest score in the club this year.
Won a couple of trophies, including the club 4ball with one of my best mates.
Played the Old Course St Andrews for the first time and also got a knock round Royal Dornoch.

Already looking forward to winter nights at the range, got a few things to work on.

Swinger

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am now 116 qualifiers away from my ideal H/C. Not good.

I've done everything I thought I had to do:- practice less and drink more.

I even played twice with Richart this year to see how he does it.

Left handed next year I guess.

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Set a handicap target of 11, failed to reach that target. Stayed on my starting handicap of 13.
\looking to the turkey shoots to win a few prizes to end the year on a high note.