How Was Your Golfing Summer? Targets Acheived? Gives us a Review.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
After barely playing at all in 2010 my aim was just to get back playing regularly and to a reasonable standard and I'm fairly happy with how I've done. Wasn't sure what sort of scores I'd be shooting but amongst the high 80's and odd 90+ I've broken 80 a couple times in knockabouts and had 3 or 4 buffers in qualifiers and twice a poor tee shot cost me a sub CSS round.

Getting to the Blackmoor meet was another aim and I have just come off 3 rounds in 3 days which I'm pretty pleased I managed without falling apart so my fitness is coming back. Ball striking is generally Ok thanks to a couple of lessons over the summer. Need to work on my short game though - too many thins and duffs near the green.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Not a very good year started on 8 and managed to get up to 10. Goal for the year was to get to 7 at least maybe 6. Joint a new club and have struggled in medal play though did pretty well in the match play comps getting to the semi finals in two. Got a case of the Sherman’s in May and had a complete swing rebuild to rectify this. Managed to slip a disk and have a back spasm that kept me from playing for the best part of two months.

Despite all this have shown glimpses of form in-between even shot a 4 under par gross round off the medals tee’s in a money game and a few 75’s in bounce games.

Won two competitions this weekend and have gone back down to 9.00, trouble is there’s only two more medals comps at my home club and a walk on a Brora to get back to where I started!

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Started the season on 8.2 and set a target of playing off 7 by end of this season

Started poorly with a few .1s taking me up to 8.8 before a great week of golf seen me cut right down to 7 exactly, since then ive had another run of .1s taking me up to 7.6 after the last qualifying comp.

So over the season a cut of .6 but unfortunately not enough for me to hit my season end target but in all honesty probably didnt deserve it as had way more poor rounds than good ones.

I putted much better this season, just a shame I didnt hit enough GIR to take advantage of my putting.

Roll on next season:cool:

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Started the year on 16.

Went up to 16.4, and on the day of the medal that would make or break me, I came 3rd and got cut to 15.5. Then got cut in a stableford 2 weeks later to 14.6. Then got cut 1.8 (!) in the President's Bowl 3 weeks after that- shot 38 off 3/4 handicap and came 3rd by 1 point - to 12.8!

Wanted 14 by the end of September, so well and truly achieved! :)

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
First full year back playing for 6 or 7 yrs, target was to try and get back to cat 1 from 10, have managed to get to 6.4 and still have a few qualifiers left so time yet to stumble over the line

Mightymoose

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Target for the year was Cat 2, missed out by 0.1 after a couple of bad rounds at the end (got to 12.3) - overall I'm pleased with my season. I also set myself a secondary target of beating 80 gross, again close but no cigar.

Overall, I'm definitely better than I was at the start of the season, hit more GIR, had more birdies and brought down my putting average. Only downer was the number of blow-up, card wreckers - next season I'll be working on my ability to escape with a bogey!

BoadieBroadus

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
ok, the question was asked...

went from 19 to 10, won the club handicap, won a knockout comp, the stableford final (2nd in the medal final) 3 stableford wins, 1 medal win (a number of seconds)

still waiting on a couple of aggregate order of merit comps to be decided and announced, hoping def for one, maybe both.

aim to be down to cat 1 next summer and win a bunch of stuff again...

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Awful year. Started off 9, and now off 11.:( Don't think I have had one round even in the buffer zone this year. Did manage some how to get to semi-finals of club knockout.

Good news is I am still a pleasure to play with, and have not lost my sense of humour.:D

Visit site
I wanted to get my handicap under 10 and hopefully get on the boards at the club.
My handicap started at 12.0 and early season was really consistent. Buffering repeatedly or losing 0.2 here and there.
Unfortunately the last 6 weeks have been shocking. Handicap has steadily crept back up to 12.4 with just the 2 round classic left. I can't face a 0.1 increase on either day to get to 13 for the winter.
On a happier note won the club foursomes knockout with a great guy who carried me through the quarters and semi finals during my bad patch. We both played superb golf in the final, so managed to reach the goal of getting on a board in the club house.
Also reached the semi finals of the fourballs knockouts.
Bit of confidence back and shot a 9 under nett 62 this weekend in a bounce match. Easy game eh?

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
its gone ok, played not bad, still awaiting 1st h/c cut but not far off and then I reckon it will tumble a fair bit (ever the optimist)

just wish I had played a bit more and taken a few more lessons early doors :(

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Target was to get back to single figures, i did a lot of work in the winter and thought i would have a good season but not to be am now playing of 12 and having back problems and not enjoying my golf anymore.
Have had lessons and things just got worse to be honest so not sure which way to go know to be honest

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Been a frustrating year.

Last year I got myself from 23 down to 13. This year was looking to push on to single figures.

My coach said we would need to make some changes so went through some swing changes last winter and they just haven't taken. Handicap went up to 14 at one point and was struggling to keep my scores under 100. Almost quit the game.

Then out of nowhere I shot an 82 in a comp in July and got cut to 12.1. Shot a few comps to my handicap since, but in general haven't even looked like getting down any further. One day I'll shoot 80 the next 94. Doing my head in.

Already started working on next year.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I made myself an achievable target of getting to Cat 2, starting on a handicap of 13.0, achieved this fairly early on so just tried to see how much lower I could get, cue a run of 0.1s back.
Recently had a return of form and am now at 11.5 with one qualifier to go this Friday, fngers crossed!

I also broke 80 for the first time, which had been a goal for a year or two.

All in all not a bad season but if I could get a cut on Friday it would round things off nicely.

AuburnWarrior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I started the year off 10.4. I knew that this wasn't a true reflection of my golfing ability but I never seemed to be able to get my head right before a comp.
Then, it started in March and continues to this day - pretty much every time I play I'm under my handicap.

I'm now off 7.3 which I'm happy to have over the winter.

Next year my aim will be to get to 5.

If I can sort my putting out then I reckon it's achieveable.

Jaymosafehands

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Been a great year.

Started at 19, wanted to get to 15 and made it to 15.6, with 2 comp rounds to go.

Won the inaugural par 3 challenge, won the club matchplay championship, won a medal, 3rd captains day and won the Yorkshire Trilby Tour, and didn't disgrace myself in the final. Currently 6th in the club order of merit with 2 events to go.

How did I do it? Hard work, lessons, reading, practice, playing a huge amount of competition golf and having a VERY understanding fiancee!!!!!!!!

Roll on next year....

kmdmr1

Head Pro
Visit site
Started 2011 with a Handicap of 14.2,got a cut in the annual handicap review,lost full shot (13.2) played in nearly every comp I could this season,and now got a handicap of 11.7 (Div 1) ....hopefully this time next year aim to be high single figures or at least 10................

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I joined Royal Ascot with the intention of playing more in order to get to single figures which I achieved last week. We still have qualifiers though so the new aim is staying there :D

The other less serious aims were beating my PB which I did by 1 shot and to get lowest gross in a medal which I haven't achieved.

Already thinking about next year. I don't think I'll set a h'cap target apart from staying at single figures but I'd still like a lowest gross in a medal and also to break my PB again. Still plenty of time to think about next years targets though.