2020 Open Championship

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
In light of recent media speculation, we would like to clarify the position regarding The 149th Open.
Martin Slumbers, Chief Executive of The R&A, said, “We are continuing to work through our options for The Open this year, including postponement. Due to a range of external factors, that process is taking some time to resolve. We are well aware of the importance of being able to give clear guidance to fans, players and everyone involved and are working to resolve this as soon as we can. We will give a further update as soon as we are in a position to do so and thank everyone for their support and understanding in this challenging situation.

https://www.randa.org/News/2020/04/Update-on-The-149th-Open

Chances are they'll get crucified for this and forced to postpone.

D

Deleted member 1147

I’ve got tickets and accommodation in the official campsite booked, but am still expecting a postponement at the very least.

I have no problem with the R&A approach. As and when they decide they should keep us up to date.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I guess the spotlight on them will intensify now, with Wimbledon being cancelled.

I think this approach is the right call though. When you read on here and other websites people saying 'we're going to be locked up for 18 months' or on the other end 'we'll be playing golf in a few weeks', I think the truth is that absolutely no one knows for sure what the rest of the year holds.

I do wonder if they would consider an Open behind closed doors?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
It's 3 months away.... they just needed to put the word "yet" a bit clearer in the communication.

I don't see why they would be "crucified" for it. The have said nothing other than it is under review, which we would expect. April, May and June are no-nos, July might be, who knows??

The same folk would be up-in-arms if it was cancelled today, but able to go ahead in July. They will know the date when the decision must be made, so that isn't yet. The Green staff are happy, the course has closed to players much earlier than usual! :)

Last edited:

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I personally feel there is no need to make the call at the moment, but I think realistically when we know that 'normal life' can resume at a certain point, then I think we'll see the governing bodies getting together and knocking up a schedule for late summer / autumn.

However I do feel that this statement is a bit of a waste. Why go to the bother of simply saying 'these rumours are wrong, we've not made a decision on this' without also giving a bit of commentary on what their thought process is.

i.e. if they can't have it in July, is that it for 2020? Or would they consider other dates. Is the rumoured insurance policy a deal breaker towards having the tournament later etc.

I just feel by saying so little, it's going to lead to further rumours and speculation.

FWIW, I think a tournament in late August or September would be great at RSG. Possibly with reduced field or two tee time start etc. Given the location in the SE it would surely still get good revenue, even if the crowds had to be reduced a bit. Appreciate the logistics of having likely softer ground for walkways, temp car parks etc. become much more of a concern (albeit still a risk in July). But as a one off compromise, people will give you a pass if they end up getting stuck in the mud or you can't have disabled access for one year. Much much better than having no championship, even if they do get an insurance payout.

I also wouldn't be surprised if an insurance company still allowed a reduced payment if a later staging was going to lead to reduced revenue, as opposed to sticking to a 'you must postpone' line and getting stung for the full liability.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
At a time where flights are cancelled and hotels are closed, travel restrictions in place yet the R&A think they can plough on??

Utter madness.

Reactions: Val
D

Deleted member 1740

Yet events scheduled for August have already been cancelled, Edinburgh festival for example.

That’s down to the organisers and possibly local authority involvement? I don’t think The Open will go ahead but I think they've got to give it a fair chance to get it on.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
...only if they said it is deffo going ahead... which they didnt.

So having people scramble to try and make arrangements which will ultimately no be able to be booked/confirmed is a sensible decision?

Having local authorities and emergency services divert resources to plan for this maybe/maybe not Open going ahead isn't selfish and unrealistic?

D

Deleted member 18588

It’s not utter madnesss, it’s over 3 months away. Theres no benefit to cancel it now, none whatsoever.

What’s the rush to cancel or postpone it?

Building the infrastructure, grandstands, tented village, TV cabling etc; takes months.

A decision would need to be made within the next few days.

Social distancing restrictions are likely to still be in place, at least in some form, for many weeks, if not months, yet.

I think we just have to accept that there will be no Open Championship this year.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
So having people scramble to try and make arrangements which will ultimately no be able to be booked/confirmed is a sensible decision?

Having local authorities and emergency services divert resources to plan for this maybe/maybe not Open going ahead isn't selfish and unrealistic?

They are just saying that as at 2nd April, it's not cancelled or postponed. They're not saying it's def going ahead, just that the rumours of the cancellation are not correct.

A month is a long time, never mind 3. So it's not completely unrealistic that professional golf will be getting played in July, albeit that's different from playing one of the biggest 4 day sporting events in the world. In reality we don't know all the balls that are in the air here. Whether it's July or bust, or if they want to, or could, run the same or slightly smaller event later in the year.

I'm sure the resource that local authorities or emergency services might be diverting to this at the moment is trivial and if they didn't want to, or couldn't do any necessary work, they'd make the call for the R&A.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I think we just have to accept that there will be no Open Championship this year.

I don't think that's the case at present. There would still likely be a commercial viability to playing this with none, or very few fans.

Accept it would likely be a last resort, but not impossible to imagine they might prefer that to no championship.

D

Deleted member 18588

I don't think that's the case at present. There would still likely be a commercial viability to playing this with none, or very few fans.

Accept it would likely be a last resort, but not impossible to imagine they might prefer that to no championship.

I doubt that the R&A could afford to run the event funded only by sponsors and TV money.

The income from ticket sales, hospitality and tented village represents a massive proportion of the total each year.

The broadcasting rights do not generate the same sort of figures as the Premier League.

Plus, as an event, it would be as flat as a fart thereby devaluing it in the future.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk

..that will not happen!
  • There are laws re the minimum notice period you have to give emergency services for large public events. - Which they wouldn't get in current emergency anyway!
  • The are deadlines for licencing and insurance - which they won't get if the above isn't in place!
  • There are minimum timings for suppliers and putting in the infrastructure - again, dependent on the above
  • Anyone going to Sandwich will have booked accommodation with ticket or soon after, or they won't get any! No scrambling!

that is without all the other variables! Which to the original point, the R&A have not said the Open is going ahead, they are still reviewing. They have a detailed plan which they successfully execute every year to stage this major undertaking. They know what the dates on the critical path are for ad ahead of those, decisions can be reviewed. That is all they said. :ROFLMAO:

D

Deleted member 18588

Wimbledon was due to finish on the Sunday prior to The Open and cancelled yesterday.

Bear in mind that te "build" for Wimbledon is likely to be less than for The Open due to the former being on a permanent site it is unrealistic to expect the R&A to defer making their decision beyond a few days more.