2019 PGA Tour

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
When are we starting a petition to get Roe removed from Sky?

I have said it before, and stand by my opinion, that whenever the pressure is on Rory, there is something inside him that means he can't deal with it as he use to and doesn't compete. Happened yesterday when in contention and fell away. Huge expectation at the open and collapsed yet in round two where no-one expected anything and there was no pressure he played some of the best golf of the week. I don't know why it is Rory falls away so much now but it surely has to impact any chance of adding to his majors and so annoying as he shows snippets of class play but can't string four rounds together at the moment often enough

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Aye, he is dreadful.

Probably only the second best golfer in the world at the moment.

Won twice this year but absolutely dreadful... Numerous top 10's.. Fell away so much yet still finished T4.

Sure he should have won more this year and is struggling to put a final round together but he is still probably the second best golfer in the world at the moment behind Brooks who is an animal currently.

Some of the comments on here are brilliant.

No one ever seems to mention the likes of JT, Speith, Day, DJ etc etc who haven't even challenged recently. But hey, having one bad round out of 4 is dreadful.

This season is Rory's best in a number of years and can only see him improving going forward. Taken a while for him to come back but he isn't far off now.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
When are we starting a petition to get Roe removed from Sky?

I have said it before, and stand by my opinion, that whenever the pressure is on Rory, there is something inside him that means he can't deal with it as he use to and doesn't compete. Happened yesterday when in contention and fell away. Huge expectation at the open and collapsed yet in round two where no-one expected anything and there was no pressure he played some of the best golf of the week. I don't know why it is Rory falls away so much now but it surely has to impact any chance of adding to his majors and so annoying as he shows snippets of class play but can't string four rounds together at the moment often enough

I tend to agree with that on Rory. He is a great guy to free wheel when the pressure is off and he can shoot in the mid 60s without really breaking sweat. But when there is pressure in a major, or he is paired with Tiger, Brooks etc. he has performed well below even average for him.

Ok, so he is very effective at hoovering up world ranking points and cash and is usually good for a couple of wins a year - but ultimately he is now in this game to win majors. From that point of view, this season has been very bad for him.

Ultimately he has not been a feature in any majors this year, with the absolute disaster of shooting himself out of the Open on the 1st hole by making 8 on his way to a 79. Then to freewheel on the Friday and get himself in position - to play the final 2 holes poorly and not even give himself a putt on the 18th to make the cut.

I know winning is difficult, and lots of players play worse when the pressure is on, also Rory puts himself into contention with such regularity that we maybe think it looks like he does it more often, but to me it is becoming a big mental block for him and he plays a good 4 or 5 shots poorer on average on either day 1 of a major, or when he is in the final group.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Aye, he is dreadful.

Probably only the second best golfer in the world at the moment.

Won twice this year but absolutely dreadful... Numerous top 10's.. Fell away so much yet still finished T4.

Sure he should have won more this year and is struggling to put a final round together but he is still probably the second best golfer in the world at the moment behind Brooks who is an animal currently.

Some of the comments on here are brilliant.

No one ever seems to mention the likes of JT, Speith, Day, DJ etc etc who haven't even challenged recently. But hey, having one bad round out of 4 is dreadful.

This season is Rory's best in a number of years and can only see him improving going forward. Taken a while for him to come back but he isn't far off now.
It's not that he's a terrible golfer, it's that he has these mental collapses so frequently, which is alarming for a player of his standing. Technically his game is up there with the best, but he has clearly been struggling mentally for a long time. And half the battle is mental - maybe more than half.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It's not that he's a terrible golfer, it's that he has these mental collapses so frequently, which is alarming for a player of his standing. Technically his game is up there with the best, but he has clearly been struggling mentally for a long time. And half the battle is mental - maybe more than half.

Yes, the positions he gets himself into he probably should have won more this year.

But on the other side, he is putting himself into these positions, playing great golf, won twice, numerous top 10’s.

That is not a golfer who is struggling with his game or mental ability. Golf is such a tough game and made up of fine fine margins.

Brooks is head and shoulders above everyone else at the moment but I would say Rory is second best.

If Rory is in such a bad mental state, how bad is DJ etc? Should we lock them up in case they are mentally unstable?

Humpy

Visit site
Looking at McIlroy's stats from yesterday he certainly didn't play badly i.e. he was hitting fairways and greens but just couldn't hole a putt. Ok his approaches could have been closer but the majority seem within 20 feet. And looking at the stats for approaches between 125-150 yards, he is ranked 10th. And for approaches 100-125 yards he is ranked 97th, with distance to the flag about the same as for 125-150 yards - c.20 feet. Koepka (for example) is ranked 47th between 125-150 with an average of 22 feet but for 100-125 he is ranked 25th with an average of 18 feet. So again not massively different.

So again it comes down to putting. And as a poor putter myself I know that if you're not confident of your putting ability it puts more and more pressure on your approach play as you strive to get it closer and closer. Maybe McIlroy is just a streaker putter. Putts well and it's a 65. Doesn't putt well and it's a 72. What's probably more of a concern is that a lot of his first putts didn't seem to be close, leaving himself 2 or 3 footers for par which again just adds to the pressure.

I'm sure McIlroy is as frustrated at it than all of us put together. No professional sportsman is happy just picking up cheques. They'd rather be winning. What's the answer? Who knows. Maybe he needs to just try something completely different - long putter, different grip, etc - just to refocus his mind.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Looking at McIlroy's stats from yesterday he certainly didn't play badly i.e. he was hitting fairways and greens but just couldn't hole a putt. Ok his approaches could have been closer but the majority seem within 20 feet. And looking at the stats for approaches between 125-150 yards, he is ranked 10th. And for approaches 100-125 yards he is ranked 97th, with distance to the flag about the same as for 125-150 yards - c.20 feet. Koepka (for example) is ranked 47th between 125-150 with an average of 22 feet but for 100-125 he is ranked 25th with an average of 18 feet. So again not massively different.

So again it comes down to putting. And as a poor putter myself I know that if you're not confident of your putting ability it puts more and more pressure on your approach play as you strive to get it closer and closer. Maybe McIlroy is just a streaker putter. Putts well and it's a 65. Doesn't putt well and it's a 72. What's probably more of a concern is that a lot of his first putts didn't seem to be close, leaving himself 2 or 3 footers for par which again just adds to the pressure.

I'm sure McIlroy is as frustrated at it than all of us put together. No professional sportsman is happy just picking up cheques. They'd rather be winning. What's the answer? Who knows. Maybe he needs to just try something completely different - long putter, different grip, etc - just to refocus his mind.
Yeah completely agree.

When that putter is cold it is cold.

The putt on the th (I think) set the tone for the day. The putt wasn’t even close to dropping.

It seems to be if he doesn’t hole one early he just can’t get it going. He was bombing it down the middle and walking off with pars all day.

Must be very frustrating

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Maybe it's not so much his putting but his green reading that's an issue.
I bet there are a whole host of tour players who wish they were as 'bad' as Rory!
He'll win more majors, I'm sure of that.

Visit site
I see yesterday as somewhat similar to the Masters the other year vs Reed

An early missed make-able putt and he then never got it going

In general though he is playing extremely well and personally I reckon can maintain this

Then it's just a matter of getting it all together in a big one again - heh the Players isn't small - where was Brooks in that one (he does have bad 'big events' you know)

As for Brooks - certainly at present he is the best (and best in the biggest events) but thats only the past 2 years - and we have been here before with DJ, Jason Day, and young Rory (and YJS)

It's partly driven by media and need for simple storylines - I reckon Rory's legacy will be greater than any of the others stated

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I see its been reported Koepka only got to the course 45 mins before his tee time for the final round :) And then just ground the rest of them down again

Plenty not feeling the love for Brooks, its gonna be a long road ;)

D

Deleted member 1147

Oh dear, Rory touching the sand thinking he was picking up a stone
He wasn’t doing that 5 years ago...totally lost it mentally! No wonder he can’t win anymore, bottling it has made him forget the rules 😱

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Penalty has been rescinded

Credit to him for calling the penalty on himself though. He could probably just have pretended to pick up a stone and toss it aside, would have been difficult to determine otherwise. I know the rules is the rules, but a two shot penalty for attempting to move a stone that turned out not to be a stone is pretty harsh, especially when he actually left it in place and didn’t disturb the sand or change his lie.

Surprised it has been rescinded, although Rich Beem was championing Rory to go question it because he read the rule multiple times after and failed to see how it was a penalty under the actions taken due to the wording.