2019 PGA Tour

happyhacker

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
You are in a minority of people I have met from NI most consider themselves Irish whether of Catholic or Protestant heritage, I am not speaking about political identity many consider themselves British as well as Irish. And yes I do know quite a lot of people from NI my son has been living there for seven years I visit from time to time and know a lot of people from NI who work over here in Scotland.

As a matter of interest who do you cheer for in International rugby matches?

In the minority of people you have met is not the same as in the minority within my country. You'd do well to know what you are talking about before a statement like that.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the link that banks us up. 57.9% identity as Northern Irish.

“Small minority” indeed.
My points are not about politics it is whether or not it is reasonable to call someone from Northern Ireland Irish. The majority very clearly do identify themsleves as Irish as is evidenced by that poll, more consider themselves Irish even than Northern Irish but many obviously consider themselves to be both.
When I have heard McIlroy speak he has identified as Irish it is quite possible to identify as being Irish & Northern Irish and or even British as is very obvious from the fact that the numbers add up to over 100%.
It is utterly reasonable to call a golfer from the lsland of Ireland Irish. One can always add an addendum if one wishes to say from which part of the Island they come from whether that be town, province or political entity.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ireland, of course. The team that are formed of my home country and the Republic of Ireland.
Excellent, and in commentary most reasonable commentators say that it is the Irish that are playing not an amalgam of the country of the Republic of Ireland and State of Northern Ireland . Nor do they say if Ulster are playing that it is the State of Northern Ireland plus a few counties from the republic.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Excellent, and in commentary most reasonable commentators say that it is the Irish that are playing not an amalgam of the country of the Republic of Ireland and State of Northern Ireland . Nor do they say if Ulster are playing that it is the State of Northern Ireland plus a few counties from the republic.

For ease of use, no. It doesn’t stop those things because the case, does it?

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
My points are not about politics it is whether or not it is reasonable to call someone from Northern Ireland Irish. The majority very clearly do identify themsleves as Irish as is evidenced by that poll, more consider themselves Irish even than Northern Irish but many obviously consider themselves to be both.
When I have heard McIlroy speak he has identified as Irish it is quite possible to identify as being Irish & Northern Irish and or even British as is very obvious from the fact that the numbers add up to over 100%.
It is utterly reasonable to call a golfer from the lsland of Ireland Irish. One can always add an addendum if one wishes to say from which part of the Island they come from whether that be town, province or political entity.

https://images.app.goo.gl/DyUFuLq7N9GBmcW98

D

Deleted member 15344

The whole of one side of my family is from N Ireland - they all count themselves as Irish ☘️

Hoganman1

Visit site
I assume Clarkie will be playing too. I think former champions can compete until they reach the age of 60, correct?

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
McIlroy states: “It’s hard because I’m Irish but also Northern Irish and whatever you want to call me, but I have no real strong allegiances to any flag or nation. I am from where I am from and, if people want to accept me as British, then they can and, if they want to claim me as Irish, they can as well.”
Like many people he identifies as Irish as well as Northern Irish calling him Irish is utterly reasonable as is calling him Northern Irish.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
McIlroy states: “It’s hard because I’m Irish but also Northern Irish and whatever you want to call me, but I have no real strong allegiances to any flag or nation. I am from where I am from and, if people want to accept me as British, then they can and, if they want to claim me as Irish, they can as well.”
Like many people he identifies as Irish as well as Northern Irish calling him Irish is utterly reasonable as is calling him Northern Irish.

Don’t be a fool - you know he’s just saying all the right things from a PR point of view there.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Don’t be a fool - you know he’s just saying all the right things from a PR point of view there.
I think that from the fact that he has chosen to represent Ireland in the Olympics he means it.
Do you seriously think that he regards himself in no way whatsoever as being Irish?