2 hours 40 minutes

D

Deleted member 15344

Pace of play - always going to create the debate

For me it’s not about how quick you can get round - the aim of the game is to get the ball in the hole not play 18 holes as quick as possible

But what needs to happen is common sense and consideration for all people on a course

If a fourball want to just take their time and enjoy everything then no one should have any issues with that as long as that fourball have considered all the other groups , if they have people behind them and they are getting held up then let them through

That’s the crux on the course - etiquette

When you are about to start a round what is your aim - hit your handicap , be two shots below it ? Or is it to get round the course in 3 hours ?

And also consider that not every course is the same - you can’t put a definitive time on how long a group should go round a course

Main thing is to remember that the golf course is for all

So well done for going around in the time you did - but I don’t see the point in it being something to say “celebrate” - I would have been more impressed if you had shot level par

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In the days before even yardage charts be available going out first as a 2 ball I have played many rounds around of less and slightly more than 2 hours.

On a personal level playing as a single late in the day on a empty course I once got round in 1hour 10 minutes (but I do use a buggy and every putt within the steel was a gimme) I also shot a rough 2 over gross so no time was spent looking for balls.

On a busy Saturday morning I feel happy if our group (teeing off at about 11am) get round in in under 4 hours. As I have said in the past the slow Saturdays are down to one group in particular who often finish 2-3 holes behind the group in front of them. They have been spoken to on several occasions but nothing changes.

Despite Ready Golf and ways of speeding up the game being well advertised we still have groups who will not follow the guidelines we issued.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well, walking a mile at an "average" pace should be about 20 minutes a mile. Therefore that's only an hour 20 minutes. Go figure the rest.

It's not an obsession it's pointing out the fact that some people refuse to accept that slow play shouldn't be an issue. You have inadvertently highlighted that further.

I accept competition golf will slow but it shouldn't slow significantly which is happening these days. In the last 20 years or so I have seen a huge shift in the time an "average" round of golf is taking. It really is ridiculous now and its driving people away from the game.
Agree with you about time.
It’s like anything else in life though.
People in Tesco at the till I always get behind the one who takes forever, no card ready to pay then has a chat with the girl on the till.
It’s an attitude thing some people don’t care who they hold up.
I do find no hold ups I get a good rhythm going and do play better.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Pace of play - always going to create the debate

For me it’s not about how quick you can get round - the aim of the game is to get the ball in the hole not play 18 holes as quick as possible

But what needs to happen is common sense and consideration for all people on a course

If a fourball want to just take their time and enjoy everything then no one should have any issues with that as long as that fourball have considered all the other groups , if they have people behind them and they are getting held up then let them through

That’s the crux on the course - etiquette

When you are about to start a round what is your aim - hit your handicap , be two shots below it ? Or is it to get round the course in 3 hours ?

And also consider that not every course is the same - you can’t put a definitive time on how long a group should go round a course

Main thing is to remember that the golf course is for all

So well done for going around in the time you did - but I don’t see the point in it being something to say “celebrate” - I would have been more impressed if you had shot level par
I do find it strange trying to get round as quick as possible then sitting in the clubhouse bar for two hours.
Not everybody obviously.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
I do find it strange trying to get round as quick as possible then sitting in the clubhouse bar for two hours.
Not everybody obviously.
It's not about "as quickly as possible". It's about getting round in a decent time. 3hrs 30 for a Comp 4 ball is achievable. If it takes longer than 4 hours, then someone, somewhere in the field is taking the piss..

Also, I'm quite happy to head into the bar after a round for a social drink and a bite to eat. However, if the round takes over 4 hours, then I'm probably going to forego that Burger and Chips with a Moretti for a quick coffee and then eat at home with the family. Who loses then? A quid for a coffee or a tenner for some scran and a drink.. Clubs should be all over this, but they're not because some of the main culprits are almost untouchable..

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't check the time when I'm playing, and nor will I ever play that way. That's not an enjoyable way to play golf, constantly worrying about how long it's taken to get where you are. I sometimes check the time after 9 holes just out of curiosity, that's it. I expect our fourball to take 3:45 to 4 hours, it's four mid-to-high handicap golfers. And we are not slow, the only times we ever really get caught and end up letting someone through are two-balls or singles. We don't have pre-shot routines, we play ready golf, we know where to leave our bags and all that. It just takes that long, and we don't worry about it. If we were over 4 hours I'd be worried and thinking about ways we can speed up maybe, but we're not, so I don't. If anyone on the course wants to play speed golf, that's fine, we'll let them through in a heartbeat, not a problem.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I work all week, I provide for my wife and kids as well as 2 dogs and a rabbit. My one game of golf per week (head clearing mental exercise really) will not be spent running round a course.

If it takes 3hrs30 or 5 hours, as long as we are ahead of the guys behind and behind the guys in front, I'm fine with it. If you have the luxury of being able to play multiple times a week, come competition day give the guys a break, if the field is slow going, there is no point ruining the guys in front day by pressuring them every hole. Doing that is a great way to lose members and end up costing you more in the long run.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I don't check the time when I'm playing, and nor will I ever play that way. That's not an enjoyable way to play golf, constantly worrying about how long it's taken to get where you are. I sometimes check the time after 9 holes just out of curiosity, that's it. I expect our fourball to take 3:45 to 4 hours, it's four mid-to-high handicap golfers. And we are not slow, the only times we ever really get caught and end up letting someone through are two-balls or singles. We don't have pre-shot routines, we play ready golf, we know where to leave our bags and all that. It just takes that long, and we don't worry about it. If we were over 4 hours I'd be worried and thinking about ways we can speed up maybe, but we're not, so I don't. If anyone on the course wants to play speed golf, that's fine, we'll let them through in a heartbeat, not a problem.

So you've now changed your tune and want to say you can play in less than 3hrs 45 minutes yet previously you were the most vocal about claiming you couldn't get round in less than 4 hours?

:sleep:

D

Deleted member 16999

I think people sometime get confused with terminology, nobody is suggesting everybody races around the course or goes really slow.
The Course, the day, the time, the event, the weather etc will all impact on pace of play.
Golfers should be aware of their surroundings and be ready to play, don’t hold up people behind and were applicable keep pace with the group in front, weekend rounds at our place will ebb and flow, but it’s very rare for a 4 ball to take 4hrs in a comp.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I work all week, I provide for my wife and kids as well as 2 dogs and a rabbit. My one game of golf per week (head clearing mental exercise really) will not be spent running round a course.

If it takes 3hrs30 or 5 hours, as long as we are ahead of the guys behind and behind the guys in front, I'm fine with it. If you have the luxury of being able to play multiple times a week, come competition day give the guys a break, if the field is slow going, there is no point ruining the guys in front day by pressuring them every hole. Doing that is a great way to lose members and end up costing you more in the long run.

Another stupid reply.

Where has anyone asked anyone to "run" round a golf course. Play smartly and considerately and the game flows. You should never be on a golf course even in a medal day for more than 4 hours, sadly atitiudes as displayed quite clearly on here are dictating otherwise and increasing the amount of members who are walking away from the game.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
So you've now changed your tune and want to say you can play in less than 3hrs 45 minutes yet previously you were the most vocal about claiming you couldn't get round in less than 4 hours?

:sleep:
I haven't said we can get round in less than 3:45? 3:45 is about the quickest our four ball has gone. I said it takes between 3:45 and 4. If we go down to three players it's obviously quicker.

And this is without being held up unduly. In comp days, late Saturday mornings, you'll be lucky to get in under 4 hours.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Another stupid reply.

Where has anyone asked anyone to "run" round a golf course. Play smartly and considerately and the game flows. You should never be on a golf course even in a medal day for more than 4 hours, sadly atitiudes as displayed quite clearly on here are dictating otherwise and increasing the amount of members who are walking away from the game.
Stupid to you maybe. If you want to play speed golf do it when the course is quiet. What I said was
If it takes 3hrs30 or 5 hours, as long as we are ahead of the guys behind and behind the guys in front, I'm fine with it
This means we keep up with play, if the rest of the field are slow, we don't ruin anyone else's day by trying to get through them in the quest for a faster round nor let a slow day bother us, you're a long time dead and this simply isn't worth getting het up over.

User20204

Visit site
Another stupid reply.

I think you're getting confused by some of these replies. It seems you're reading in to them that they are farting about and taking forever to walk and play, maybe some are and if so then Yes, your points are valid.

However, I walk smartly, I play considerably but I won't play a shot until a number of factors. 1) I know how far I have 2) What effect does any weather have on my shot 3) Decide how I wish to play that particular shot etc etc. Now many of these decisions can be made while waiting for others to play/green clearing etc but one thing I'm absolutely certain is I won't play til I'm ready.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Stupid to you maybe. If you want to play speed golf do it when the course is quiet. What I said was
This means we keep up with play, if the rest of the field are slow, we don't ruin anyone else's day by trying to get through them in the quest for a faster round nor let a slow day bother us, you're a long time dead and this simply isn't worth getting het up over.

So in essence you decide sod it we won't push anyone and by doing so we'll disrupt the pace of play for everyone behind because we don't want to push slower groups in front. As I said that is the attitude that is killing the game.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I think you're getting confused by some of these replies. It seems you're reading in to them that they are farting about and taking forever to walk and play, maybe some are and if so then Yes, your points are valid.

However, I walk smartly, I play considerably but I won't play a shot until a number of factors. 1) I know how far I have 2) What effect does any weather have on my shot 3) Decide how I wish to play that particular shot etc etc. Now many of these decisions can be made while waiting for others to play/green clearing etc but one thing I'm absolutely certain is I won't play til I'm ready.

I think most of the replies are confused about me walking round a course at a reasonable pace, played our shots as described by your own pre shot routine, even included dropping another couple of balls at times, and still got round in the time we did which could have easily been quicker. Nobody is advocating "running" round the golf course. Brendy summed up exactly why golf takes so long. He thinks because he works all week to provide for his family he's entitled to take as long as he likes. Guess what I would imagine 99% of golfers on here also work all week to provide. He also thinks cos pace is at a certain level it shouldn't be pushed or challenged.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I think most of the replies are confused about me walking round a course at a reasonable pace, played our shots as described by your own pre shot routine, even included dropping another couple of balls at times, and still got round in the time we did which could have easily been quicker. Nobody is advocating "running" round the golf course. Brendy summed up exactly why golf takes so long. He thinks because he works all week to provide for his family he's entitled to take as long as he likes. Guess what I would imagine 99% of golfers on here also work all week to provide. He also thinks cos pace is at a certain level it shouldn't be pushed or challenged.
Nope, you are both still not understanding what I am saying. I'll try once more.
If the entire field is slow on a given day, our fourball are perfectly in time with everyone else, I see no reason to pressurise the group in front if there is nowhere for them to go. Getting annoyed and annoying others isn't the way to do it, the committee have to address it but some days lost balls etc can lead to slower play. I don't like it neither but it happens.
Again, for the record I don't and won't condone slow play but I also won't stand shaking my arms at the group in front who are not necessarily to blame. Life is too short.

D

Deleted member 21258

What I never follow with slow play threads and peoples replies generally, is that reality seems different to comments posted. On the forum days I have attended (apart from RCP when I was part of the 1st group), I don't remember a round taking under 4 hrs 15mins and most nearer 4hrs 30mins/4.45. Even on comp days at my own clubs, unless we are out near the front, rounds are normally over 4hrs 15mins. This is one of the reasons why I gave up golf myself due to time pressures and why we tend to play at non peak times.

I do not wish to run around a course and I would take 3.45 to 4.15 any day of the week at peak time, but some one is playing slow who is, come on own up :p

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
What I never follow with slow play threads and peoples replies generally, is that reality seems different to comments posted. On the forum days I have attended (apart from RCP when I was part of the 1st group), I don't remember a round taking under 4 hrs 15mins and most nearer 4hrs 30mins/4.45. Even on comp days at my own clubs, unless we are out near the front, rounds are normally over 4hrs 15mins. This is one of the reasons why I gave up golf myself due to time pressures and why we tend to play at non peak times.

I do not wish to run around a course and I would take 3.45 to 4.15 any day of the week at peak time, but some one is playing slow who is, come on own up :p
To be fair, I've made that exact same comment myself before.. However, what I would say is that most Forum days are held at very good championship courses that very few people have played before. It's not overly surprising that 18 holes takes a bit longer. We played Royal Liverpool a few weeks ago. There was no one in front of us or behind us. It took just under 4 hours as a 4 ball. We did slow down a touch though as it was a gorgeous day on a stunning course..

Tiger man

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Perhaps clubs are missing a trick, could have a button next to the first tee, just before teeing off you hit the button and your off, another button next to the 18th that you dash to after hitting your last putt. Don't even get your ball out the hole or shake hands, just a sprint to the buzzer and fastest round wins some prize money?

D

Deleted member 1418

There have been a number of very good posts on this thread.

Personally I play quickly, and prefer to play with others that similarly do so. But I agree with the points that others have made - you can play at a good pace without being, or feeling, rushed, and still be able to enjoy the company of your playing partners and the surroundings that your are in; and irrespective of the ability/handicap of those you are playing with.

To be honest I'm usually fuming if I've taken over 4 hours to play a round and there isn't a good reason why. However I fully appreciate that there are occasions - like a big Forum meet such as H4H, or Society/Charity Day - that will take well over 4 hours to get round and I accept before going out that's just part and parcel of the day.

And similarly to bluewolf I've played at championship courses where my 3 or 4 ball have not had anyone in front of or behind us so we've taken longer than normal to really take in the experience.