2 hours 40 minutes

User20204

Visit site
That’s a poor attitude, times have changed, I’ve 2 young kids and a wife and work away half the year.
I’m not saying rush but don’t go at a snails pace either, your not on the PGA tour.

So you think getting off the course after 18 holes 10 minutes early will make all the difference ? I suggest you've taken up the wrong sport if you are in such a hurry to get back to your wife and kids, may I suggest you take up football, couple of hours max from getting changed, playing and getting changed again, sorted.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
So you think getting off the course after 18 holes 10 minutes early will make all the difference ? I suggest you've taken up the wrong sport if you are in such a hurry to get back to your wife and kids, may I suggest you take up football, couple of hours max from getting changed, playing and getting changed again, sorted.
I played football for a long time, too old now.
Your missing the point, 3.5hours should be long enough for a four ball.
Looking forward to seeing you on tour 😉

User20204

Visit site
I played football for a long time, too old now.
Your missing the point, 3.5hours should be long enough for a four ball.
Looking forward to seeing you on tour 😉

It takes almost exactly 2 hours to play our front 9 in summer on a sat morn and approx 1.45 for the back 9 regardless how quick or slow we play, how do we find that ever so precious 15 minutes so we can get back to our wife and kids ? Also, how can you possibly say how long it takes our group to play our course, you have no knowledge of it. My previous club was much shorter and 3.5 was plenty.

D

Deleted Member 1156

First match out in one of the knockout rounds during the Eden trophy, all square after 18 so back to the 1st again, looked at the clock on the tee and we were 2hrs20 for a competitive match.

HamiltonGuy

Visit site
It’s clear and apparent that there are a number of people who pay their fees and feel entitled to take as long as they desire. Not everyone is as lucky to have all day. Me personally I don’t need to rush but there’s nothing worse for me than a slow game.

User20204

Visit site
First match out in one of the knockout rounds during the Eden trophy, all square after 18 so back to the 1st again, looked at the clock on the tee and we were 2hrs20 for a competitive match.

Comparing match play on a short course closed to only matchplay competitors on the day is absurd to a Saturday morning club medal.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Comparing match play on a short course closed to only matchplay competitors on the day is absurd to a Saturday morning club medal.

Why can't you get round a Saturday medal in 3 hours 30 absolute max, instead its always 4+ every week. Selfish play and attitudes are the biggest reason I can see.

User20204

Visit site
Why can't you get round a Saturday medal in 3 hours 30 absolute max, instead its always 4+ every week. Selfish play and attitudes are the biggest reason I can see.

It's not 4+ at my place but it's not 3.4 either. Again, trying to compare the Eden, in matchplay, with an empty course in front of you to a Sat morning medal is just being silly.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I wasn't comparing the two, just stating how quickly you can get round a course if you do the right things.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
My life would be a lot easier if I could get round in 3hrs 30 on Comp days. I've got an entire family life to live, 2 young kids, 2 dogs, a burgeoning drink problem. Only one of these gives way if the Golf starts taking up half the day, and it's not family time.

Get a bloody wriggle on. The amount of people who think that it's a gentle ramble through the bloody countryside is increasing. You can walk and talk at the same time. You don't need to gently stroll from one players ball to the next. The course isn't your personal fiefdom.

Rant over.....

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Well, walking a mile at an "average" pace should be about 20 minutes a mile. Therefore that's only an hour 20 minutes. Go figure the rest.

It's not an obsession it's pointing out the fact that some people refuse to accept that slow play shouldn't be an issue. You have inadvertently highlighted that further.

I accept competition golf will slow but it shouldn't slow significantly which is happening these days. In the last 20 years or so I have seen a huge shift in the time an "average" round of golf is taking. It really is ridiculous now and its driving people away from the game.

So lets say 1hr30 walking to account for having a bag or trolley, having to go from green to next tee and presumably not only walking straight down the middle of the course.

Allow 30 seconds of stopped time per shot, that's to make a decision, pull a club, practice swing as needed and hit the ball. Let's say 85 shots, some people will take more, some less, but its a decent enough average. That brings it to 2hrs 10 for a single.
For subsequent players, let's say 20s per shot, because sometimes they can do their prep before hitting simultaneously, but sometimes they can't due to position. Using the same assumptions this gives us 27 minutes per additional player:

Twoball: 2hrs 37
Threeball: 3hrs 04
Fourball: 3hrs 31

These seem like fairly reasonable average times, obviously, course conditions, difficulty, length, terrain etc will modify them slightly, and a comp is likely to be slower.
It's also worth noting that small margins can have a big impact. If every player in a fourball takes 10 seconds longer per shot, this doesn't seem like much, but actually adds nearly an hour (56mins) to a round.

My personal opinion is that it is a balance, I don't want to rush my way round the course, but I don't want to be out there for 5 hours either. Yes, I have a family and other duties, but it's also my hobby and time for me to enjoy myself, which my family understand.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
My life would be a lot easier if I could get round in 3hrs 30 on Comp days. I've got an entire family life to live, 2 young kids, 2 dogs, a burgeoning drink problem. Only one of these gives way if the Golf starts taking up half the day, and it's not family time.

Get a bloody wriggle on. The amount of people who think that it's a gentle ramble through the bloody countryside is increasing. You can walk and talk at the same time. You don't need to gently stroll from one players ball to the next. The course isn't your personal fiefdom.

Rant over.....

Another who "gets it".

Nobody is asking anyone to run round a golf course, just move and play at a considerate pace. Not really difficult unless you're one of the "it'll take as long as I want brigade" which seems to becoming more and more the norm these days at golf clubs.