2 bounces and stop!

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Afternoon folk of the forum.

We see this shot week in, week out on the TV and some folk on here probably play it on there local track week in, week out.

Greenside, long green, punch the ball in low, lots of spin, 2 bounces and stops dead!

I've been working on my greenside game recently as I've highlighted it as an area where I'm maybe losing a couple of shots.

I've worked on opening up my 52*and 58* to through it high enough it comes down like a butterfly with sun burnt feet. Hitting 7,8, 9iron from off the green and running it in, but cannot for the life of me get the above mentioned shot to work, and frankly it annoying me :mad: .

I've tried opening the face in the 58* just a little and opening my stance to accomodate the open face, but when the ball leaves the face, it either flys too high and comes up short, or goes as intended but doesn't check.

Any suggestions?

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
I use a 56* wedge, ball set back in stance and a good forward press. The key part of the swing is to make sure you go straight back and then straight throw, with the club stopping not long after contact with a decending blow. (Kinda like a kirate chop).

Its a handy shot to have but I'd only play it if I had too, you'd get better and more consistant results from chip'n'running

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I use a 56* wedge, ball set back in stance and a good forward press. The key part of the swing is to make sure you go straight back and then straight throw, with the club stopping not long after contact with a decending blow. (Kinda like a kirate chop).

Its a handy shot to have but I'd only play it if I had too, you'd get better and more consistant results from chip'n'running

It's just a shot I'm looking to learn, as I feel around my track it could be pretty useful.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

I do the same but would suggest the real key is to hit the small ball first with this shot!

It's not a soft shot as you indicate, and you definitely don't want to be 'opening up clubfaces' (whatever that's all about)

it needs tight fairways/fringes and tight greens as well

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I do the same but would suggest the real key is to hit the small ball first with this shot!

It's not a soft shot as you indicate, and you definitely don't want to be 'opening up clubfaces' (whatever that's all about)

Thanks for the input Duncan.

Seems I've been going about it in the wrong manor. I'll give it another crack tonight after my regular practice and do as you and Lump suggest and see how I go. Thanks again.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

A clean contact is whats needed, i do get this shot occasionally but not all the time, in fact i'm not a fan of spin. it just means you end up further from the hole. ;)

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Afternoon folk of the forum.

We see this shot week in, week out on the TV and some folk on here probably play it on there local track week in, week out.

Greenside, long green, punch the ball in low, lots of spin, 2 bounces and stops dead!

I've been working on my greenside game recently as I've highlighted it as an area where I'm maybe losing a couple of shots.

I've worked on opening up my 52*and 58* to through it high enough it comes down like a butterfly with sun burnt feet. Hitting 7,8, 9iron from off the green and running it in, but cannot for the life of me get the above mentioned shot to work, and frankly it annoying me :mad: .

I've tried opening the face in the 58* just a little and opening my stance to accomodate the open face, but when the ball leaves the face, it either flys too high and comes up short, or goes as intended but doesn't check.

Any suggestions?

75 people have looked at your thread.
4 have replied and not really a definative answer.
I too have been giving this a go recently with mixed results.
Or more to the point,no consistency.
It just goes to show its not an easy thing to do,and it seems no ones got the definative answer.
As has been said in the past,if theres nothing in the way,run the ball in,its a safer option.
However it is a show off shot if it could be mastered

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I too have been giving this a go recently with mixed results.
Or more to the point,no consistency.
It just goes to show its not an easy thing to do,and it seems no ones got the definative answer.
As has been said in the past,if theres nothing in the way,run the ball in,its a safer option.
However it is a show off shot if it could be mastered

Not so much to show off PJ.

I just think, personally it looks a useful shot and would be a useful "shot" to learn especially around the green.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
To be honest I don't use the shot, too risky to mishit and end up across the green.

Personally I spend the time practicing other aspects of the short game.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

interesting interpretation - I see 3 responses and total agreement;

"56 degrees not opened up, crisp/positive downward strike, ball first"

only goes to show how everyone has a different perspective on reading things

(I would only expect to see more responses if people disagreed - which is always good as a potential learning experience)

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The only useful thing I have to add is....

Are you sure you're not doing it already?

I didn't think I could do it and mentioned trying to learn it to my mates and they told me my chip shots already spun and stopped pretty quick. I just hadn't noticed because I'm at the other end looking down the line. They're looking at the shot from the side and see the effect of the spin on the ball.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
Love playing that shot, especially on links. Once you master it, it won't leave you. I would add to the vid by saying, if you shut the face of your 58 or 60 and swing as normal you can get even more spin as the ball has to climb up the face a little on impact. Watch out as the club bounce will be reduced. The shot needs to be crisp.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
back in the stance. sharp, agressive short blow. depends on the greens and you should use a premium soft ball. some days are better than others at my place for it. into the wind helps. i only really try it during practice or bounce games as its quite unpredictable due to the changing nature of my home greens and my limited ability to pull it off correctly. i mean, whats the point of getting it to stop and check if this happens before it should or past the pin.

ive tried that "its got cheese on it" video. that works too but you also get too much height that way. the OP is talking about the low spinning ones. i use the 56 for this! i also stand in a closed stance but this just may be my prefrence. it may or may not help with the particular shot.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The only useful thing I have to add is....

Are you sure you're not doing it already?

I didn't think I could do it and mentioned trying to learn it to my mates and they told me my chip shots already spun and stopped pretty quick. I just hadn't noticed because I'm at the other end looking down the line. They're looking at the shot from the side and see the effect of the spin on the ball.

many a time i clip a shot and dont notice the check but you hear the remarks from the playing partners saying that had great action on it. pity you cant see that from where you hit the shot.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
The amount will depend on a few factors, green firmness, the ball you're using, clean grooves and the quality of the strike.

Suffice to say if you strike a golf ball properly ie. ball first, you will get backspin.

As others have said though, it might be happening and you can't see it due to the angle you are viewing.