2 Ball/Foursome Courses

• Thread starter Deleted member 21258
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21258

Was a bit surprised when in Norfolk at a number of courses that were almost purely 2 Ball/Foursome courses.

How did it come about (ie choosing to be mainly that setup) ?

and would you ever join one (don't think I would)?

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I assume you're on about Hunstanton and Brancaster(Royal West Norfolk)?

Speed of play I'd guess, maybe thats also the origins of golf?

I've not played either, but plan to play both this year!! I've only heard postive feedback from both, and can't see a reason why I wouldn't join.

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
West Sussex is like that mate. Don't know how it came about but can be a bit aloof. I would think these courses will not change until the next generation or the one after gets to be the main part of the membership. I could never join a course like that as you can't beat a 4 ball bounce game with your mates

D

Deleted member 15344

It’s all down to pace of play at the courses - places like RSG , RCP and a good number of other links courses are the same

But they do have specific times where people can play in a threeball or fourball

I have played both Hunstanton and Brancaster and they are superb - played Brancaster in a 2 ball and we went round in just under 3 hours and Hunstanton as a 4 ball

D

Deleted member 21258

I assume you're on about Hunstanton and Brancaster(Royal West Norfolk)?

Speed of play I'd guess, maybe thats also the origins of golf?

Correct, also looked at Aldeburgh which was similar iirc(RSG in kent is also), as fancied playing them whilst away.

The times they did allow 3-4 balls on, just didn't work for us so didn't play them.

But was left with the curious about the origins and as you say maybe the good old speed of play.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Muirfield is 4 somes in the afternoon and they only have a couple of medals a year, but would join in a heartbeat.... if i could get in and that is;)

The Autumn Wind

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Burnham & Berrow have the best system I think.

2 balls only up for the earliest tee times each day.
Then up to 3 balls for the next time slots.
From mid morning onwards, 4 balls are allowed out.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Burnham & Berrow have the best system I think.

2 balls only up for the earliest tee times each day.
Then up to 3 balls for the next time slots.
From mid morning onwards, 4 balls are allowed out.

It works pretty well. If I ever take guests down all day we’ll usually play channel in the morning until the 4 ball tee time opens up

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Littlestone are predominantly a 2 ball/foursomes coure but are gradually allowing more 3 and 4 ball times

Cols_Ears

Hacker
Visit site
Muirfield is 4 somes in the afternoon and they only have a couple of medals a year, but would join in a heartbeat.... if i could get in and that is;)
Me too if I lived a bit closer and had the available cash...

I was going to mention Muirfield, played $ Balls in the morning and foursomes there in the afternoon a couple of years ago. We got round after lunch in about 2½ hours with the help of some caddies pointing us in the right direction. Was great fun, but I wouldn't want to play foursomes all the time.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Me too if I lived a bit closer and had the available cash...

I was going to mention Muirfield, played $ Balls in the morning and foursomes there in the afternoon a couple of years ago. We got round after lunch in about 2½ hours with the help of some caddies pointing us in the right direction. Was great fun, but I wouldn't want to play foursomes all the time.

if we get in then, we could propose each other depending who gets in first???:rofl::rofl:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
But was left with the curious about the origins and as you say maybe the good old speed of play.

I think it's the other way round....the origins of the game of golf are singles matchplay and four players would play that with alternate shots for the pairs (foresomes).

The next radical developments were whole club competitions, played twice a year as the Spring, and Autum medals when most of the members were at the club.

So the question becomes why clubs choose to stay with this, and that will include speed of play as well as wishing to. They have run that way for more generations than many modern clubs have even existed...so I sometime find it surprising that people think it will change shortly (didn't take that from your question, more some responses).