16 hole course?

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Is there anything laid down that states a golf course must be 9 or 18 holes?

What is to stop a course being only 16 holes for example?

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would think that a course can be as many holes as you like, but qualifying rounds for handicap have to be over registered 9 or 18 holes

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would think it is tradition that dictates. It would be a bold club that opens with 16 holes only.

A quote I like, Jack Nicklaus has stated that if he was inventing golf now he would make it 14 holes.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I would think it is tradition that dictates. It would be a bold club that opens with 16 holes only.

How about a current 18 holer that is losing holes due to property development and has limited space to add new holes. There is space to add a couple of par 3s but they would be squeezed in on flat, featureless areas of the course.

I wonder if golfers would prefer 16 holes of proper length golf over well established territory that fits into the natural landscape and contours of the land or, a full18 hole course with a couple of bland featureless shortish par 3s thrown in just for the sake of making an 18 hole course.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Surely if the course is properly rated it shouldn't matter how many holes there are...although I guess 9 is the minimum...
Would WHS be able to cope..?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
How about a current 18 holer that is losing holes due to property development and has limited space to add new holes. There is space to add a couple of par 3s but they would be squeezed in on flat, featureless areas of the course.

I wonder if golfers would prefer 16 holes of proper length golf over well established territory that fits into the natural landscape and contours of the land or, a full18 hole course with a couple of bland featureless shortish par 3s thrown in just for the sake of making an 18 hole course.
Oh, I'm not against it and to be honest I get mentally tired over 18 holes so 16 good holes would suit me nicely.

There is a course near to me where the 16th green brings you back to the clubhouse and the 17th and 18th are bland up and down holes out and back again. They could easily lose those 2 holes and the course would be none the worse for it.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site

A quote I like, Jack Nicklaus has stated that if he was inventing golf now he would make it 14 holes.

We've just done 13 in the Winter League - and I'm an advocate of golf being played over shorter courses. If I was iinventing golf from scratch, it would be over 12 holes, courses generally designed in 2 loops of six, making it feasible to play a 6 hole format of the game.

There's a six hole course near us, it's rated as an 18 hole course by playing the 6 holes 3 times over - even then the total yardage is under 2400 yards - the slope rating is 113, but it's a pucker course with members gaining correct handicaps by playing there.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There has been many a time when I wished a round of golf was 15/16 holes where I play (finish 15 go to 18) . The painkillers are just about wearing off after 15. The 16th goes all the way down to the river and the 17th all the way back up again.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Surely if the course is properly rated it shouldn't matter how many holes there are...although I guess 9 is the minimum...
Would WHS be able to cope..?

I tend to agree with this....the lack of length will be reflected in the Course Rating and slope takes care of everything else.

We will see what happens....the planning request has only recently been submitted to the local authorities for the "development".

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
A course near me only has 12 holes. I think it used to have 18 but six of them got trashed by failed drainage works or something. If you want to play 18 though you just play the first six again.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The system makes provision for a few holes to be out of action temporarily. Out 18th is currently out of play but we can still play qualifiers. I don't know how the authorities would view a permanent closure of a couple of holes.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
I tend to agree with this....the lack of length will be reflected in the Course Rating and slope takes care of everything else.

We will see what happens....the planning request has only recently been submitted to the local authorities for the "development".
But they will still have to rate 18 holes.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I have always thought 3 loops of 6 would be about perfect.

I find 9 holes often too much if you just want to quickly nip out on the course, and too little if you have a bit more time but not for a full 18.

3 loops of 6 would mean that day to day rounds could be done over 12 holes, with board comps or matches played of 18

Golfnut1957

Visit site
On the odd occasion that our course has fewer than 18 holes in play I always feel as if the round has no value, no slight to anyone or any course that isn't 18 holes, but it's just the way I feel.

Saying that I once played a course in York with 11 holes. You played the first 9, the extra 2, and then 7 of the first 9 again but from different tee's. I remember it well because my second 9 consisted of 9 4's. I loved the look of that scorecard with all those 4's.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I have always thought 3 loops of 6 would be about perfect.

I find 9 holes often too much if you just want to quickly nip out on the course, and too little if you have a bit more time but not for a full 18.

3 loops of 6 would mean that day to day rounds could be done over 12 holes, with board comps or matches played of 18

Also should mention though I like playing 18, it is quite full on, if you carry like me it is a bit tiring, and can take over 4 hours depending on the speed of play, plus warm up time and social time afterwards could take 6 hours, which is a huge chunk of the day, 12 holes could easily be done in 2 and bit hours, which mean you could nip out play and get back with plenty of the day left

sunshine

Visit site
A course near me only has 12 holes. I think it used to have 18 but six of them got trashed by failed drainage works or something. If you want to play 18 though you just play the first six again.

Harefield? A national gas pipeline was laid at the far end of the course. I think there was supposed to be compensation to remediate the site after the work was completed, but I heard it was pocketed by the company running the course.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Harefield? A national gas pipeline was laid at the far end of the course. I think there was supposed to be compensation to remediate the site after the work was completed, but I heard it was pocketed by the company running the course.
Yeah I always forget the proper story but I knew it was some kind of stitch-up, ha.