16 hole course?

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
16 hole courses would be a great idea. It would reduce costs to the club and maybe to the members, but mainly bluddy par threes could be removed off the card

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Our place has 19 if you need an extra hole.

Our's has 3 extra holes that aren't actually on any of the courses - so if you add them all up including the academy course there's 51 of them all together.

Might do a little challenge to play them all in a day next summer.

The Fader

Visit site
On the odd occasion that our course has fewer than 18 holes in play I always feel as if the round has no value, no slight to anyone or any course that isn't 18 holes, but it's just the way I feel.

Saying that I once played a course in York with 11 holes. You played the first 9, the extra 2, and then 7 of the first 9 again but from different tee's. I remember it well because my second 9 consisted of 9 4's. I loved the look of that scorecard with all those 4's.
I

That would be Heworth GC

Jaco

Medal Winner
Visit site
Is there anything laid down that states a golf course must be 9 or 18 holes?

What is to stop a course being only 16 holes for example?

I don’t know the answer to your question but only yesterday I played at my local club which is a lovely, well maintained course, and I was thinking how it would be improved if it was a few holes less. Every par 4 or 5 is tight and too many are similar. Play between trees for 300 yds, turn left, play back down the other side of same trees. It’s only 500 yds from home but the tightness puts me off joining.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is there anything laid down that states a golf course must be 9 or 18 holes?

What is to stop a course being only 16 holes for example?
2.1a in the handicap manual suggests that anything other than 9 or 18 hole courses are not authorized for handicap purposes and 2.2a says that all holes do not have to be played.
But the RoG have no specified requirement.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Genuine question - How does the likes of Shiskine get rated as a 12 holer then?
The CR is 63.3 and par is 65 so they must have had some holes adjusted and rated twice.

They also have 18 and 12 hole handicaps

https://www.shiskinegolf.com/handicaps/

NOTICE THE DATES ON THE CARDS

shiskine-scorecard-2.jpg

shiskine-scorecard-1.jpg

Last edited:

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
moot point now I'm afraid....looks like the long term plan is for the course to change to a nine-holer, with changes to virtually every hole as we currently know them. Ultimately will result in an overall course length increase of around 500yds.

SyR

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I like the idea at Payne's Valley that have a 19th "bonus hole" where you can have a crack at a really tough hole without ruining the score card.

OntheteeGavin

Visit site
moot point now I'm afraid....looks like the long term plan is for the course to change to a nine-holer, with changes to virtually every hole as we currently know them. Ultimately will result in an overall course length increase of around 500yds.

Hi I am correct in thinking that you live in Suffolk?