Your Signature Hole

• Thread starter Deleted member 21258
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21258

If you were a golf course designer, what would be your signature hole be, that you would have on each course ?

For me it probably would be a short par 4 of say 250ish yards, that is driveable but has a high element of risk attached.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Tricky to really call something a signature hole. Often it is the aesthetics that give it a signature status rather than the actual golf hole.

For me, a strategic par 5 that doesn't give longer hitters a real advantage. Maybe 475 yards long.

A wide landing area between 200 and 230 off the tee, that narrows a bit with proper penal bunkers at 250 & 270 really cutting into the edge of the fairway. Again, a wide landing area 130 yards from the green, with further trouble and much narrower fairway further up. I would want the hole to slope down from the landing area, so you have a decent view of the whole green. I would also want a green raised slightly up from the fairway with some nice, pretty steep bunkering front left and right of the large 2 tier green. Across the front of the green, maybe 40 yards from the front edge, a burn running across the lowest point in the hole with some nice stone edging to the burn and a swilken bridge type feature.

Behind the green, plant 3 silver birches that will serve as a marker for people further back on the fairway who won't be able to see the green.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Just about the worst type of hole design for me, nothing but a gimmick.

Completely agree with this. It is certainly fun to see the pros have to take on a tough shot and inevitably out of a field of 150 guys, a few will make mistakes.

The best holes are ones with multiple ways to play them that an amateur can potentially make a risk free bogey on, but one or two good shots can bring birdie into play.

Possibly the 17th at St. Andrews being one such hole. You can bail out left, then plod your way down and hit a short 3rd onto the green. Maybe occassionally you make 4.
But take on the corner and leave yourself an approach up the length of the green and you can have a birdie putt at the Road Hole. 2 very good shots required though and brings all sorts of scores into play if you lose either your drive or 2nd shot right.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I nice undulating Links par 4 with no views or scenery... the blander the better, oh and a very undulating fairway so any tee shot was heavily punishing to a ball landing in the middle of it bounces off into a deep pot bunker, you can only exit out of backwards....and have the course in the windiest place possible;)

Last edited:

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I nice undulating Links par 4 with no views or scenery... the blander the better, oh and a very undulating fairway so any tee shot was heavily punishing to a ball landing in the middle of it....and have the course in the windiest place possible;)

Which Aberdeen course is that you have described?

D

Deleted member 3432

I nice undulating Links par 4 with no views or scenery... the blander the better, oh and a very undulating fairway so any tee shot was heavily punishing to a ball landing in the middle of it bounces off into a deep pot bunker, you can only exit out of backwards....and have the course in the windiest place possible;)

While playing Stableford obviously ;)

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
A hole where the fairways and the rough are reversed ( think Brazillian). Straight hitters need to be punished, and in the long stuff. A massive block or snap hook should be fine, with a nice shot to the green.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
There's one at Sheringham that looks down the coast on a clear day you can se about 3 billion light miles. Massively elevated tee with about 150 yd carry over Norfolks Grand Canyon. It's a thing of beauty to drive. There one similar at Palmares. Owt like that would do me.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
I too am a big fan of elevated tees, the one above at Sheringham is awsome
I also like the 8th at The Manor House, Castle Combe. 250 yard par 4 , huge elevation, dire trouble if you knob it off the tee, and views to die for.

Couple of nice elevated tees at Royal Cromer too

OOB

Medal Winner
Visit site
I always loved the 3rd at Bridlington Links. A par five that is no great challenge on distance, but weaves left and right around two water hazards.

For my own design I’d go par 4 that offers risk vs reward. Carry a hazard for an easy shot at the green. Lay up for a tougher shot at the green guarded by sand. Dog leg to the left encouraging a draw if you dare.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I too am a big fan of elevated tees, the one above at Sheringham is awsome
I also like the 8th at The Manor House, Castle Combe. 250 yard par 4 , huge elevation, dire trouble if you knob it off the tee, and views to die for.

Couple of nice elevated tees at Royal Cromer too

Good to hear re Royal Cromer, on our play list next year.