Your Natural Swing

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Watched Scratch Golf's latest video last night:

[video=youtube;nCouVHCy1go]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCouVHCy1go[/video]

Fully agree with the sentiments in the video, golf instruction has become so technical it's, in my opinion, one of the worst things about the game.

Followed on from this video and watched a few other similar videos. Definitely going to be giving this a try and in truth, it's something I've been trying to implement anyway. I really enjoy Shawn Clement's videos as well as they are on a similar vein.

I've just finished reading 'The Lost Art of Putting', all about getting back to the 'putting like a child' concept and I can thoroughly recommend the 'Be A Player' book as well.

Anyone else trying similar things?

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I watched it as well. Not sure I could ever make contact with the ball without looking at it. I always wanted to try to hit a full shot with my eyes close, but never really dared to, not even on the range. But I do agree that technical thoughts are not helping most of the time.

I do putt with my eyes closed sometimes, and that works remarkably well.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
I watched it as well. Not sure I could ever make contact with the ball without looking at it. I always wanted to try to hit a full shot with my eyes close, but never really dared to, not even on the range. But I do agree that technical thoughts are not helping most of the time.

I do a lot of swinging with my eyes shut, but without the ball there, but more to let my body move in the natural way and to feel the weight shift. Think I will give this a try though.

I do like the Spieth way of putting from short range, looking straight at the hole, just feels so much more automatic that way.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Really, really interesting that.

Similarly to Deano above. I do close my eyes a lot when practicing in order to try an inbed just the feel.

Very intriguing and a good watch.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
most of the swing work i do (very little) is without a ball, just checking reflection in the french windows and looking at the top of the swing etc.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Haven't watched the vid - but I imagine my swing is pretty natural given that I haven't had a lesson since I was 14. Pretty much made up as I go along. :D I watch videos online for little things to tweak, but I don't do anything that feels unnatural.

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
Ultimately, you are trying to eliminate the anxiety of hitting the ball (well). You could probably achieve the same result by having some kind of focus on something else rather than the ball strike. I know when I am playing well, it's automatic. There's no swing thoughts going on, just a swing.

Defo going to try it at the range, as I do spend too much time thinking swing thoughts on the course, anything to have a more reactive swing rather than a "planned hit" has to be better. Less mechanical, more feel.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Ultimately, you are trying to eliminate the anxiety of hitting the ball (well). You could probably achieve the same result by having some kind of focus on something else rather than the ball strike. I know when I am playing well, it's automatic. There's no swing thoughts going on, just a swing.

Defo going to try it at the range, as I do spend too much time thinking swing thoughts on the course, anything to have a more reactive swing rather than a "planned hit" has to be better. Less mechanical, more feel.

Absolutely right about the focus. The Be A Player book is a big advocate of this, trying to focus on something external rather than internal, although some of it is about focusing on your balance, but then at least you're not fixated on the ball. I know I'm guilty of trying to hit the ball instead of letting the ball get in the way of the swing.

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is Flow Motion golf co founded by ​Stéphane Bachoz and also has something to do with Zen Golf and Nick Middleton. I’ve not tried it myself but you can see the results plus I’ve seen it myself from a friend of mine who busted a driver 270 down the middle with no look. It baffled me. Needless to say I tried and topped it 30yds.

On the other end of the scale I’m doing Tathata Golf which is the complete opposite that incorporates martial arts and having to pressurise the body with strength and engaging the core and body at set up and being rooted. Very interesting stuff.
I’ve always said never discount anything that’s new to the game, as you’ll never know unless you try.
If it costs you and find it’s not for you then no harm done. At least you’ve tried.

http://www.flowmotion-golf.com/concept.html#

https://www.tathatagolf.com

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
This is Flow Motion golf co founded by ​Stéphane Bachoz and also has something to do with Zen Golf and Nick Middleton. I’ve not tried it myself but you can see the results plus I’ve seen it myself from a friend of mine who busted a driver 270 down the middle with no look. It baffled me. Needless to say I tried and topped it 30yds.

On the other end of the scale I’m doing Tathata Golf which is the complete opposite that incorporates martial arts and having to pressurise the body with strength and engaging the core and body at set up and being rooted. Very interesting stuff.
I’ve always said never discount anything that’s new to the game, as you’ll never know unless you try.
If it costs you and find it’s not for you then no harm done. At least you’ve tried.

http://www.flowmotion-golf.com/concept.html#

https://www.tathatagolf.com

Cheers for the info. Will definitely have a proper look at that Flow Motion site.

I've seen about Tathata before (seen many adverts on youtube too), it's a very interesting concept.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site

Used to have lessons with a coach about 10 years ago that got me to swing at balls with my eyes closed. Surprising how often you hit the ball OK. Haven't done it a lot since, but given the state of my swing, might give it another go...... can't be any worse than my normal swing :whoo:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Used to have lessons with a coach about 10 years ago that got me to swing at balls with my eyes closed. Surprising how often you hit the ball OK. Haven't done it a lot since, but given the state of my swing, might give it another go...... can't be any worse than my normal swing :whoo:
I normally shut my eyes after I've hit it. In despair. :(

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Cheers for the info. Will definitely have a proper look at that Flow Motion site.

I've seen about Tathata before (seen many adverts on youtube too), it's a very interesting concept.

Oh it's definitely an interesting concept, as he talks about masters of tai chi and how they use strength with a sword and incorporating that into golf. It makes sense to me but so does that flow motion as well.

I wanted to find out if I could use what I've got in body wise without going to the gym. Since starting this at the beginning of the year I've gained yardage on my irons approx 7-10yds just through his philosophy..

Mind you some may say I'm clutching at straws, like Aimpoint.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Hit the range tonight and having seen the video, thought it was only right to give it a go. Managed to hit it and forward but contact was rubbish. I did feel self conscious doing it on a busy range. Not sure I was fully committed to the concept and concerned about a miss or a shank. Maybe in the solitude of the practice ground tomorrow I'll give it another whirl

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Hit the range tonight and having seen the video, thought it was only right to give it a go. Managed to hit it and forward but contact was rubbish. I did feel self conscious doing it on a busy range. Not sure I was fully committed to the concept and concerned about a miss or a shank. Maybe in the solitude of the practice ground tomorrow I'll give it another whirl

That's the thing I'm dreading, doing it on a busy range and shanking one or two :D

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If you want to swing naturally and control the ball then you should try what nice faldo does and just thinking about how you want the swing to finish.

I think he said he had something like 7 different follow throughs to play all manner of different shots. Don't worry abut the back swing. Just turn behind the ball. Worry about how you want to finish. For example is it a held off kind of swing for a cut or a low wristy action through the finish for a low hook.

A recent example of a tour pro implementing this is Patrick reed doing the helicopter finish to play a cut. Works brilliantly for him.