Youtube Golf instruction - hidden Gems

Russ_D

Club Champion
Visit site
As a rule I dont watch youtube instruction videos. I find they often confuse me and dont really help me much.
With the weather being as bad as it has i've only been able to hit foam balls inside with a PW and once at the range. Something i noticed was when I made my usual length backswing two things would happen.
1. My upper body lifts if i go too far
2. I manage to somehow pull it together and make decent contact. At the moment plenty of thins :(

So I started practicing with essentially a half swing (arms paralell to ground but probably a smidge above), smooth, accelerating downsing and full finish. Only swing thought was "back and through". Indoors, contact was spot on. The one day I got to the range I was suprised on the distance. Same distance (150yd 7 iron) but better contact more often with all clubs.

So I googled "short backswing golf" and one of the videos was the "short controlled acceleration swing" by John Hensby. Seen this guy before, nice fella but usually does a quirky swing called channel lock. This video however was pretty good and made sense on how I was getting good distance, good acceleration and contact with a short swing, and it "feels" REALLY short even though it probably isn't much shorted than usual.

It's nice to find a video that resonates with you in and amongst all the drivell thats on youtube these days. Definatley looking forward to working on this when the weather improves

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
So I started practicing with essentially a half swing (arms paralell to ground but probably a smidge above), smooth, accelerating downsing and full finish. Only swing thought was "back and through". Indoors, contact was spot on. The one day I got to the range I was suprised on the distance. Same distance (150yd 7 iron) but better contact more often with all clubs.
I had exactly the same realisation like two or three years ago. I swing back only until my left arm is about parallel to the ground, wrist only slightly hinged as well so the club is probably pointing almost straight up. Straight away I was connecting with the ball much more consistently, and I found I didn't really lose any distance (most likely because the contact was better). My golf improved a lot after that and I have kept my swing like that ever since.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Have had a little spare time recently for some reason...
I sometimes flick through the "be better golf" channel, hosted by Brendan (not the shotgun start Brendan, unfortunately, as that would be fantastic...). It's a bit hit and miss, and Brendan is a little (ok, sometimes a lot) annoying, but...
He has done a series of sessions with a guy called Eric Meichtry recently, culminating in a playing lesson. I've found them really soothing, Eric is an excellent player and very chilled.
They are in this playlist, though only the last few (5-12) are in the current series I think.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLK1sbUjAAin7oNNLM4ZiP3t64O3iN8vjq

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The BEST I've found, and believe me I've watched plenty, is without doubt Eric Cogorno.
His videos might go on a bit, but stick with it and listen carefully. I find he explains things in great detail and unlike others doesn't get excited and rush.