Your Local MP

• Thread starter Deleted member 16999
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16999

Without going into too much detail, my wife was medically discharged from the Army and then 10yrs later suffered a stroke, she’s been registered disabled for over 20yrs and has been in receipt of DLA for part of that period.

We have a motability vehicle which is large enough to carry her wheelchair when required. Initially she was awarded the DLA for life.

Due to her health deteriorating I decided to retire early, to both look after her and spend some quality time together.

Last year she was recalled for reassessment for the PIP scheme and after reviewing her medical history and her undergoing a medical the DWP dropped her from an enhanced rate to a standard rate, not only did this mean losing the car it also jepordised whether we could afford for me to be retired and had to consider at least part time work.

We went through the reconsideration process, lost that, then applied to go through the Tribunal process, which we were waiting for.

We were also advised to contact our local MP and make him aware of the situation.

We then took her case and asked questions in Parliament on her behalf.

Today she has received a call to say she has been reassessed and placed back into the enhanced rate of PIP.

The worry and stress she has endured over the last 8 months has at times been awful to watch.

Don’t be afraid to ask for help, MP’s get a lot of justified stick and it’s only right they get the credit when they come through.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Pleased you got a positive outcome...

However 'the system' is producing too many negative outcomes for others...
Who, for whatever reasons, don't seek the right help to ensure they get a proper understanding of their situation and appropriate help...

Have also had to seek help, from our local MP, on behalf of a family friend who wasn't in a position to seek their own help...
It really shouldn't happen if those in the appropriate position, to help, did their job anywhere near properly...

Last edited:

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
This is shambolic quite frankly, glad you got sorted Paul but it should never have went near Parliament when it's as obvious a case as that.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
My dad was having no end of bother with the tax man due to him having a pension from the Irish govt as well as a UK state pension. He would receive different tax codes, on average, almost weekly. Every time there was a change in the interest rate it affected his tax code. Some weeks he could get up to 3 new tax codes a week. He was a very bright man, ex-company director and more than capable of calculating his tax code. 9 times out of 10 the tax office got he wrong. He then had to argue and argue with them to recoup what they shouldn't have taken. In his mid 70's and with failing health, they were at times down right obnoxious in the way they sneered at his calculation. After nearly 2 years of back and forth he, in desperation contacted the local MP, the then secretary for Northern Ireland Mo Mowlem... wow! After talking to her, and working with her office the tax office appointed a senior tax officer to review his case. I'm not sure I would call it a win but at least he was totally vindicated.

As for Mo, what a legend!

D

Deleted member 18121

It always seems crazy to me how genuine honest people seem to get the crappy end of the stick, when you see TV benefit programs of people that seem to be absolutely fleecing the system.

Glad you got the outcome you deserve, just a shame it took months of worry and anxiety.

D

Deleted member 16999

Pleased you got a positive outcome...

However 'the system' is producing too many negative outcomes for others...
Who, for whatever reasons, don't seek the right help to ensure they get a proper understanding of their situation and appropriate help...

Have also had to seek help, from our local MP, on behalf of a family friend who wasn't in a position to seek their own help...
It really shouldn't happen if those in the appropriate position, to help, did their job anywhere near properly...
When you get the decision letter following the medical etc, you are allowed to ask for a “reconsideration” you are basically raising questions against the points they listed in the decision letter, we did this and provided further information from her doctor.

3 weeks later we got the reply to that, unbelievably it was the decision letter again with the date changed, they’d ignored everything we’d submitted, phoned up and told there was no way it was the same letter as the case had been re-assessed, told the woman I had both letters side by side and they were 100% the same apart from the date, even had the same spelling mistake.

She checked and apologised and said she would see if it could be looked at again.

The MP was furious when we showed him both letters!

D

Deleted member 16999

It always seems crazy to me how genuine honest people seem to get the crappy end of the stick, when you see TV benefit programs of people that seem to be absolutely fleecing the system.

Glad you got the outcome you deserve, just a shame it took months of worry and anxiety.
Cheers Adam, Martin and Bri :thup:

D

Deleted member 16999

Good to hear a cloud has been lifted :)

Now will you retract your "Ferry across the Mersey" Statement !
Cheers Craig, No on the retraction, it was that song that got me through the darkest days :rofl:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

..and I suspect - I do not know - that there are a lot more genuine honest people getting the crappy end of the stick than there are people fleecing the system for all it's worth...

Problem is that the focus and publicity on the latter might well tend to drive the policy and treatment of the former.

Meanwhile I wait a reply from my MP to an Email I sent to him couple of weeks back

Last edited:

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I complained to my MP in the 1970's regarding being gazumped on a new build despite paying a deposit.

He was very helpful and I finally received a two page hand written letter from the Solicitor General [Quinten Hogg. ie Lord Hailsham].
He basically apologised, saying there was nothing he could do.
He said that in this case the law was a total mess and he would review it.

Both Tory politicians were very helpful and sympathetic.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Reading this brings back memories, it is horrendous having to resort to taking these things as far as you have to, just glad you got the correct outcome in the end, many don't and give up from my experience which is sad (and probably sadder that is what the gov't dept in question wants as it saves ££££)

D

Deleted member 16999

Reading this brings back memories, it is horrendous having to resort to taking these things as far as you have to, just glad you got the correct outcome in the end, many don't and give up from my experience which is sad (and probably sadder that is what the gov't dept in question wants as it saves ££££)
Cheers mate, apparently over 50,000 Motability cars have been returned since the changes were made, plus when you decide to go to tribunal the letter also states that you could end up losing all disability benefits.
ie, The missus had been downgraded to the standard rate from enhanced and the tribunal panel could not only award the enhanced but remove the standard.
Imagine being a vulnerable person reading that.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's a bit like when they introduced fitness to work assessments that were undertaken by a private company (ATOS).

Nearly everybody was found to be fit to do some sort of work even if that was Quote; "just the ability to press a button".

The number of successful appeals made against the decision was just staggering.

My sympathies are with you for what you have go through from the moment the first letter is received and how long 'due process' can take. ( I know from personal experience)

D

Deleted member 16999

It's a bit like when they introduced fitness to work assessments that were undertaken by a private company (ATOS).

Nearly everybody was found to be fit to do some sort of work even if that was Quote; "just the ability to press a button".

The number of successful appeals made against the decision was just staggering.

My sympathies are with you for what you have go through from the moment the first letter is received and how long 'due process' can take. ( I know from personal experience)
Cheers Jim, The ATOS report on her was part of her appeal paperwork as they had found her unfit for work due to her conditions.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Having seen the obstacles during my mining career that are put in ones way to prevent people from claiming. Nothing suprises me. No one will convince me that it is done for one reason only. To save money. Out of every 100 people that are put through this, how many will appeal? How many will take it the distance? How many will contact there MP? At every stage when a claimant drops out money is saved.

Now don't get me wrong, there were a lot of genuine miners who deserved claims from deafness, vibration White finger, emphysema, dust on lungs, knackered knees etc etc etc. But some tried to take the piss and should not of got claims.

I to went through an appeal process, and when I saw the letter which I had signed as a true record of my second appeal hearing at my third and final hearing. You could see where the dr had added notes in between the lines I had signed as a true record. I was livid. The final hearing panel were embarrassed. I won my appeal and everything was back dated so happy days. But sod all was said to the dr.