Your Golfing Goals...

Wolf

Visit site
I was having a little scroll through Instagram this evening & came across this posted by Justin Thomas, found it really interesting that he wrote down all his goals for this year and then shared them honestly about what he had achieved, what he failed at & how open he was about the way he set some realistic goals, some hard to attain but with work achievable goals and as he put some out of reach goals to push himself.

Kind of similar to what we do in my industry but harder to get people to stick to.

It got me wondering what does everyone else do when it comes to their own game, do you set goals? Do you aim for specific competitions or handicap cuts? Or do you simply go with the flow and just see how it turns out...

I've set a few simple ones for next 12 months so I'm happy to share them and would love to see some others.

1. Once we move in 8 weeks or less Join a club
2. Meet new golfing buddies & enjoy social aspect of the game
3. Obtain a handicap that is realistic to my current level
4. Play in a few competitions & see some progress
5. Have a good golfing year and enjoy the walks

Screenshot_20181005-202729_Instagram.jpg

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
less than 5 double bogeys / worse the entire year? I have the same goal but for the entire round.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Would never set specific goals, other than to enjoy playing, remember I'm blessed and lucky to be able to play and to enjoy the company of others.

Good golf every now and then is simply a bonus

Wolf

Visit site
Would never set specific goals, other than to enjoy playing, remember I'm blessed and lucky to be able to play and to enjoy the company of others.

Good golf every now and then is simply a bonus
That's what my main aim is, I've spent so many years not playing for one reason and another that I just want to enjoy it again, playing junior golf was fun, then as intermediate and young adult it felt like a chore to keep improving and trying to always go lower and lower. I thinks that's where my love affair for the game started to diminish. Now I'm looking to simply enjoy the course, company and see what happens no pressure or expectations.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My only target for this year was to get down to 18 h'cap. Only got to 20 so far, but still got a few Stablefords coming up that I could do it in.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My only target for this year was to get down to 18 h'cap. Only got to 20 so far, but still got a few Stablefords coming up that I could do it in.

Mine was the same. I've got to 19 but run out of steam this year. Annoyingly i'm at 19.4 so the likliehood is that I am going back to 20 rather than lower before the season is out :cry:.

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My sole goal for this year was to remain as an 8 handicapper. Which I have done, would have been on for a little cut on saturday until I blew up on the 18th (par4) and walked off with an 8! I was +6 for theround prior to that! Buffered though!

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
set just two goals, to get to 18 and to have a technically good base swing. Getting there on the swing, looks ok but still work to do. Handicap going the wrong way, can blame swing changes. I set my goals before renewal time, so that if I want something different i can move

GOLFER1994

Head Pro
Visit site
I only started playing again 2 months since. However my goals for the next 12 months are:
-Reach 16 handicap or below
-Win a competition
-Consistently shoot 90 or below
-Hit more than 10 fairways in one round :oops:
-Get my name on a clubhouse board

PaulyMcK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think it is a great idea to set goals for your golf throughout the year or season. This is something I started doing last season, after reaching all of the goals I done it again this season.

Certain goals I absolutely smashed, main goal was to get to a 14 Handicap, and actually the way it worked out, I went from a 14.6 Handicap to a 13.1 and completely missed the Target of 14. Everything was working out great in practice and 4 days later I went from a 13.1 to a 11.6.

At this point I had to change my goals, as we were only half way through the season and I had met my targets. This is something I believe that is useful and will be working on again soon for the new season ahead next year.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My main goals were to get to 12 (epic fail) and win a club comp (success). I like to set goals but don't want them to become a distraction which is how I've felt in the past
Scuse the ignorance, but I thought you were around the 11 or 12 level already? I've only recently started reading the forum again so am not yet uptodate with everything!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Scuse the ignorance, but I thought you were around the 11 or 12 level already? I've only recently started reading the forum again so am not yet uptodate with everything!
No, sadly I started 2018 at 14.2 and I'm still there now so no change. I had a bad couple of years and lurched from 12 upwards but hoping I've gone as high as I'm going and I can start a downward trend again

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Mine is to start playing somewhere near my handicap, miles off at the moment mainly due to a combination of dodgy driving and terrible putting.