Help identifying Golf Balls

Yosser11

Visit site
A "senior" friend of mine (who is an avid golfer), has asked me to try and find out the history of a set of golf balls he has (see photos). He is not tech savvy and asked me to find out what I could about them, are they worth anything and where would be the best place to sell them. He is keen to make sure that they stay with another golfing enthusiast, hence me coming into your forum. They are 6 x - The TT (Tough & True) North British balls. They are all still in the original wrappers and are 1:62. Any info or help would be very gratefully accepted. Unfortunately, the posting won't accept the photos of the balls themselves for some reason?

Attachments

• IMG_5882.JPG
    IMG_5882.JPG
    682.9 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_5885.JPG
    IMG_5885.JPG
    719.1 KB · Views: 59

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Nice find. I'd also guess that they'd be 1930s and there'd be quite a few collectors out there who'd be interested in buying them.

eBay would find the biggest number of potential buyers and serious collectors do use it. Price wise I'm not an expert where balls are concerned but would estimate £50 to £100 as a ball park.

If you like I could post your pictures on the British Golf Collectors site and ask for information and any interested buyers.

Yosser11

Visit site
That would be great and I really would apprecite it. Ebay and Amazon were my first ports of call, when researching. The only thing that I found was a "Great British" advert for sale.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
This advert from Golfing magazine is dated March 1935.

321057425_888168829095542_3710652370751310239_n.jpg

D-S

Visit site
“Capable of greater distance and is more responsive to control”, plus ça change….. in the world of golf marketing.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Is that advert for 2 shillings (that's 10p to all you whippersnappers) per ball?

I think a typical weekly wage was about £3 in 1935.

When I started playing, pro shops would usually sell balls individually or in boxes of 6. I rarely saw tubes of 3 or boxes of 12.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Is that advert for 2 shillings (that's 10p to all you whippersnappers) per ball?

I think a typical weekly wage was about £3 in 1935.

When I started playing, pro shops would usually sell balls individually or in boxes of 6. I rarely saw tubes of 3 or boxes of 12.

Golf was very much more a middle class sport back then.
Cheaper brands were available and refurbished balls were also popular.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
That would be great and I really would apprecite it. Ebay and Amazon were my first ports of call, when researching. The only thing that I found was a "Great British" advert for sale.

I've had a but of feedback already from the Golf Collectors.
Apparently you'll maximise your sale value if you split the balls up and sell individually, maybe £30 to £50 per unwrapped ball and £40 for the box.
Always seems a shame to me to do this but if you're looking to make the most money then it would be the way to go.

Here's a website listing prices for wrapped golf balls.
https://www.golfballbook.co.uk/marketplace-wrapped-golf-balls

I had one message from someone who says they'd be interested in buying the lot, if your friend is interested you could pm me their email address and I can forward this on to the interested buyer and they can discuss price between them.
Alternatively he could email directly to: info@timewarpgolf.com

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Golf was very much more a middle class sport back then.
Cheaper brands were available and refurbished balls were also popular.
Mind you - even I when just starting out very quickly realised that a Price's Everlasting just didn't cut any sort of mustard.

Yosser11

Visit site
I've had a but of feedback already from the Golf Collectors.
Apparently you'll maximise your sale value if you split the balls up and sell individually, maybe £30 to £50 per unwrapped ball and £40 for the box.
Always seems a shame to me to do this but if you're looking to make the most money then it would be the way to go.

Here's a website listing prices for wrapped golf balls.
https://www.golfballbook.co.uk/marketplace-wrapped-golf-balls

I had one message from someone who says they'd be interested in buying the lot, if your friend is interested you could pm me their email address and I can forward this on to the interested buyer and they can discuss price between them.
Alternatively he could email directly to: info@timewarpgolf.com

My apologies. I missed your reply before I listed them on Ebay for £120 + postage. Looks like I dropped a clanger. They were gone in 5 minutes to a buyer abroad. My friend is over the moon regardless and said he would have preferred them to be sold as a lot rather than splitting them. Many thanks for your help and advice.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Mind you - even I when just starting out very quickly realised that a Price's Everlasting just didn't cut any sort of mustard.
At least they made an attempt to live up to their name. They could withstand some rough treatment and keep their shape. If you kept going with one for 3 rounds the paint would start to crack and fall off. Very solid feel was uniquely strange.

One of the worst was The Goblin. Rarely would one last a whole round without losing its shape or smiling back at you.

prices everlasting.jpg goblin.jpg

Well the thread was over really, so I thought I'd do a bit of memory lane blather to keep a tiny minority entertained. :)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
At least they made an attempt to live up to their name. They could withstand some rough treatment and keep their shape. If you kept going with one for 3 rounds the paint would start to crack and fall off. Very solid feel was uniquely strange.

One of the worst was The Goblin. Rarely would one last a whole round without losing its shape or smiling back at you.

View attachment 46039View attachment 46040

Well the thread was over really, so I thought I'd do a bit of memory lane blather to keep a tiny minority entertained. :)
I do remember playing Goblin’s and IIRC yes..They were rubbish - Id rather play a mishappen or cut Penfold Ace or Dunlop Commando. If I was lucky I’d find Dunlop 65 and would use it even when cut.

Anyway that was all then..

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
My apologies. I missed your reply before I listed them on Ebay for £120 + postage. Looks like I dropped a clanger. They were gone in 5 minutes to a buyer abroad. My friend is over the moon regardless and said he would have preferred them to be sold as a lot rather than splitting them. Many thanks for your help and advice.

Listing on eBay was fine but listing as a buy-it-now without knowing the actual value probably was a clanger. ;)

Oh well, your friend is happy and someone in America is probably very happy too. (y)