Your favourite golf holiday destinations

Alicia

Visit site
Hello - it's the Travel Editor here. I'm just planning in next years travel features (we're already working on November here in the office and I'm starting to get sent Christmas gift ideas!) Are there any destinations you would like to read about in the magazine, or maybe you've played golf in a country you think would be worth writing about. Please let me know your ideas and suggestions....

blindpete

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Played a couple of rounds in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic last year - Cocotal and La Cana. It can be pricey at around £100 but the courses I played were fantastic. I am holidaying in Playacar, Mexico next month and have two rounds booked at "All Inclusive" golf courses...can't wait!!

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am off to Thailand in November so hope to get in a couple of rounds. Open to suggestions as to any courses worth visiting.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've visted Aphrodite Hills in Cyprus a couple of times.....the course and facilities are out of this world !

furyk_or_unique

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Definitely somewhere less exotic for me than all you jet-setting globetrotters.

Ever since I went on my first golfing holiday with a couple of mates 25 years ago to Cornwall, it's always been one of my favourite golfing destinations.

In fact, just talking about it here is making me go all misty-eyed as I conjure up images of fun holiday courses likes Mullion, West Cornwall, Perranporth, Newquay....

Oh, well, back to the reality of work...

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Went to Buenos Aires last year. Not your usual golfing destination, but the courses were brilliant, cheap(ish, £50 per round on a championship course, with caddy, and also with a guy from Goucho golf to pick me up, drop me off, buy me lunch, and fix my tee times for me thrown in). The greens were in general the fastest I have ever played on too. Most of the courses I played have been used for the Argentine open and were in superb nick.
Also, the people were friendly, the food was fantastic, the weather was great, and most people spoke some english (my spanish is non existent).

greengiant

www.clubmurcia.com
My favourite destination is still Spain. I regularly visit the Murcia region which is an up and coming region of Spain, its also where Jack Nicklaus is building 9 of his courses within a 25km radius - a truly unique golfing location.
The latest Jack Nicklaus course, El Valle Golf Resort, has just opened (last week) and is a stunner! In a few months his next course, Hacienda Riqelme will be open along with Seve Ballesteros' new course Peraleja Golf.
These are exciting times for this little corner of Spain that has until now only been famous for its fantastic wines, oh and La Manga Club ofcourse!!
For more information on golf in Murcia visit www.clubmurcia.com - it is a great site with details of almost 50 courses to choose from. You can also become a member of Club Murcia (which I am) and be kept up to date with all the latest golf offers and news.

AliB

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hi Alicia
Belgium's probably not somewhere you'd think of for golf, but we've just had a week there and I would recommend the courses. Quiet, well-kept and with good clubhouse facilites. And it's not too far to go. You can find more details on my blog, and also of other places we've golfed in this country (try Golf Breaks label)
Cheers
AliB

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
When I am on holiday, I want a good forgiving course where I don't have to look for my ball if I miss the fairway. The two courses at Mijas - Los Olivos and Los Lagos - are ideal holiday golf courses. Always in good condition, well stewarded, and considering the number of visitors, have reasonably quick rounds.

Also in the area, and one of my favourites is Santa Maria, on the road to Marbella.

One golf course I would not re-visit under any circumstances is Monte Major. When I went there, there were miles and miles of rough track to get to the clubhouse, buggies were mandatory, and the average loss of balls I was told, was 7. But don't let me put anyone off.

robtee

Visit site
Hi Alicia,
Having played in Spain, U.S., Scotland i
think that for value for money and quality of the golf courses then Southern Brittany takes some beating. Empty courses, and allowed to play off white tees, for around £35 takes some beating. Courses include La Baule, La Bretesche (around the Chateau), the links at St John de Monts and St Laurent(at over 6400m) are all fantastic and always in excellent condition. With superb food, excellent wine what more could a man want?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I also go to Florida every year, Bradenton / Sarasota. Play courses like Legacy, Waterlefe, University Park, Heritage Harbour, Riverstrand etc.
Always go in April, so weather is good but not too hot, and gets the golf season started. I stay at the IMG tennis accademy in Bradenton, which is also the home of the David Leadbetter golf acadamy, and also a football (soccer) academy. The accomodation is not cheap, but very convenient for my wife who plays tennis for two weeks while I golf.

The down side to Florida is the food (no veggies, just meat and pickled gherkin) and the fizzy beer.

blindpete

Assistant Pro
Visit site
WooHoo...cancun is still intact!!! Been in touch with both courses I'm playing and everything is fine. Will fill you all in on the gory details of me hacking my way around Mexico in a few weeks.