Your best clubhouse event ?

D

Deleted member 16999

Still with the Darts and Dominoes for the team in the League, then different entertainment nights, Bands, different genres, quiz nights, etc.
Doing a few food and beer specials for the World Cup.
Quite active and attendance varies.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I always find it strange how few do family days as it draws partners and kids into the club. I'd also say for any event, whether family or not, then the dress code is important to me personally. I've got less interest going to a quiz night or summer bbq if I've got to be my golf clothes on as jeans or shorts aren't accepted.

I'd tie more to sporting events even if that means being flexible on kitchen openings so lion series, world cup etc.

Quiz nights were good and they added in a monthly draw for £100 and rising - key was you had to be there to win so that encouraged turnout. Think the prize went up to £1,000 at one stage so they split it in two to give more chance of winning.

D

Deleted member 16999

I always find it strange how few do family days as it draws partners and kids into the club. I'd also say for any event, whether family or not, then the dress code is important to me personally. I've got less interest going to a quiz night or summer bbq if I've got to be my golf clothes on as jeans or shorts aren't accepted.

I'd tie more to sporting events even if that means being flexible on kitchen openings so lion series, world cup etc.

Quiz nights were good and they added in a monthly draw for £100 and rising - key was you had to be there to win so that encouraged turnout. Think the prize went up to £1,000 at one stage so they split it in two to give more chance of winning.
I agree about the family events, however not all clubs are the same, mine up here has very much an old fashioned “working men’s” club feel to it and is taking some effort to break the barriers down, many admit to playing golf and having a few pints to escape the wife and kids.
Therefore regardless of advertising some families do not get to hear what we are trying.
Thankfully we have the local cricket team who are excellent at organising and getting support for family events and we are using them to show members the benefits that can be gained.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

My previous club used Captain's Day as a family day - it worked very well. As well as the main 4BBB 18hole comp in the morning, we'd have a 5 hole 3-club comp in the afternoon; longest tee shot with 5i; fun chipping comps; putting comp; raffle; burgers and hot dogs etc.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I agree about the family events, however not all clubs are the same, mine up here has very much an old fashioned “working men’s” club feel to it and is taking some effort to break the barriers down, many admit to playing golf and having a few pints to escape the wife and kids.
Therefore regardless of advertising some families do not get to hear what we are trying.
Thankfully we have the local cricket team who are excellent at organising and getting support for family events and we are using them to show members the benefits that can be gained.

There are times when I'm pretty happy to have some piece, round of golf and chill with a pint, but I'd definitely spend more time at a club if relaxed to children and wifes who can wear normal clothes (again jeans). Appreciate that's not for everyone, but I never got the impression many minded young kids coming to visit. As ever, all about balance with these things.

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I like the idea of a murder mystery, hopefully that will appeal to all members, especially combined with Halloween maybe

I can tell you this wont appeal to anyone around my age (38). If my club advertised this (i think me ex club did) I'd laugh it off and assume it wasn't aimed at me. If i messaged in my friends whats app group now 'anyone fancy a murder mystery night?' I would not get any takers, unless it was a charity night for a cause close to our hearts.

I think you need to think who you're targeting before deciding what events to put on.

A family day, with bouncy castle and kid entertainment will get more traction with my age group right now!

gregc1

Visit site
I absolutely agree, but we need to have different events for different people/ age/ interests , but the main thing is to get the clubhouse used more

GOLFER1994

Head Pro
Visit site
Im 23 and completely am up for clubhouse events! I think music nights/comedy etc is more likely to appeal to me than the murder mysteries etc but fully enjoy supporting the club. Anything light hearted and enjoyable that the lass might be able to engage with captures my interest.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
We have curry nights etc, the club asks what we want but the overall consensus is that the golf club is for golf!
Gone are the days where men can leave the wives all weekend playing golf and drinking in the clubhouse. You can’t have a whiff of alchohol anymore, smokers have to smoke outside.
Quite a few times I’ve been eager to get a drink after the round and partners say they have to rush off because of kids or the missus is kicking off.
Times have changed, and frankly not in favour of golf and it’s clubhouses.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If we had a murder/mystery night, the victim would be the old guy at the weekend whose group invariably falls two holes behind everyone but it's never his fault. The mystery would only be which one of us did it and on what hole.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We have had food/wine tasting nights, race nights, bingo and night golf. The latter was hugely popular and going to be repeated. Sadly though it seems no matter what events our social committee try and organise it's always the same hardcore of between 50-100 people every time. Generalising a tad, it's mostly the older members that simply don't/won't support the club and try any of the social events or even suggest ideas for stuff they'd like to see but are always the first to moan when the club is complaining about a lack of revenue and the need to increase subs. If you don't support your club, to some degree (and they already get discounted membership as seniors) then how can you complain, or at least that's how I see it