social convenor

Jdb2005

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
evening all, first post in along time.

recently been appointed Social Convenor at my golf club. One of the tasks is to organise speakers for our Captains dinner in October 22. does anyone have any recommendations without breaking the bank? how to go about this or any ideas on how to get members to use the clubhouse. what events o you host at your club?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

recently been appointed Social Convenor at my golf club. One of the tasks is to organise speakers for our Captains dinner in October 22. does anyone have any recommendations without breaking the bank? how to go about this or any ideas on how to get members to use the clubhouse. what events o you host at your club?

What sort of budget do you have?

Jdb2005

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
What sort of budget do you have?

hi not sure on budget, this is something I can discuss with the captain once I have some options available . seem like a poisoned chalice the social job gives restrictions now a days, especially in Scotland.

D

Deleted member 15344

We have two gents evenings a year where you get in a dinner speaker and a comedian

It’s normally a sports star - we have had - Cook , Parlour , McBride , Gooch , Poll and Billy Foster amongst others - all good plus Nobby Styles son is excellent as a comedian as well

There are companies that source them

Jdb2005

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We have two gents evenings a year where you get in a dinner speaker and a comedian

It’s normally a sports star - we have had - Cook , Parlour , McBride , Gooch , Poll and Billy Foster amongst others - all good plus Nobby Styles son is excellent as a comedian as well

hi mate

I think this is the line id like to go down with sports stars etc, my fear is well out our budget, or if we go for it we have to charge tickets at a higher price if that make sense. however I will look online and get some quotes for similar. heard great reports about billy foster.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
We've had some good music evenings at ours; Beatles & ABBA tribute bands and the Paul Cox Blues Band amongst others. We've also done Murder Mystery evenings, quiz nights, and are having a Fawlty Towers dining experience soon. Might give you some ideas. to a degree it will be dictated by what the members are prepared to pay unless the club are subsidising it

Jdb2005

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We've had some good music evenings at ours; Beatles & ABBA tribute bands and the Paul Cox Blues Band amongst others. We've also done Murder Mystery evenings, quiz nights, and are having a Fawlty Towers dining experience soon. Might give you some ideas. to a degree it will be dictated by what the members are prepared to pay unless the club are subsidising it

yeah this is also something am looking to do. unfortunately our club wouldn't be in a position to subside anything. our club has a good nucleus of 25 or so members that would attend functions regardless of cost. our clubhouse holds 70. its getting the rest to buy. we've had a few instances in the past, where we've had to cancel events due to lack of interest which is a shame.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
yeah this is also something am looking to do. unfortunately our club wouldn't be in a position to subside anything. our club has a good nucleus of 25 or so members that would attend functions regardless of cost. our clubhouse holds 70. its getting the rest to buy. we've had a few instances in the past, where we've had to cancel events due to lack of interest which is a shame.

I think if you only have a nucleus of 25 then you really need to do some serious homework and find out what would attract other members to attend and also why they aren't supporting the club. If you can't get numbers up then I think you may struggle to get too much arranged, unless you open it up to partners and maybe the general public (could be a good way of getting new members)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
See if you pro has any links to a Tour Pro? He/She doesn’t need to be any of the main tours or particularly well known, those I’ve heard talk seem to have lots of interesting experiences, anecdotes and insight into the life of a tour pro, and their journey to get on the tour.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I'm not being funny, but I've visited Southerness and while it is a superb course and the clubhouse was extremely welcoming it is most definitely in the middle of nowhere.

My question would be, who did you upset to be given that job.

Jdb2005

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'm not being funny, but I've visited Southerness and while it is a superb course and the clubhouse was extremely welcoming it is most definitely in the middle of nowhere.

My question would be, who did you upset to be given that job.
This is for Dumfries and county

phils226

Medal Winner
Visit site

What the ballpark figure for these speakers or tribute acts - I'm guessing about £750-£1000? If that's about right the OP will need to charge a minimum of £25 and I guess that'd be just a buffet meal. Personally I wouldnt take the role unless the Club subidises part of the cost on the first event. They'll make some on the Bar and at least it gives you a chance

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Contact a local talent booking agency they'll give you a list of after-dinner speakers personalities with prices. They're not cheap :eek:
Over the years we've had ex- Footballers, Rugby players, referees and pro- comedians.
Besides the Captains and prize-giving nights, our best-attended nights are the general knowledge quiz nights [ pay a pro around £80 to run them (y) ].
BTW you'll never please everyone
best of luck.