Prizes for comps

jpjeffery

Assistant Pro
learnergolfer.wordpress.com
My club is the only (golf) club I've been a member of, so I have no experience or visibility of how things happen in others, but I'd like to know how we compare.

First some context: We're a club that doesn't own any property other than the perpetual cups and shields and the like. So, no course, no buildings, no staff, instead we're hosted at a (high-ish end) public course. We have around 75 members. Annual subscription is under £100, so we're not exactly an expensive, nor rich club.

Monthly medals have no sweep - unless members playing decide to organise one within their group(s) - and no entry fee. Winners receive a small shield after the AGM in early December. It's a very similar arrangement for the Bank Holiday Mixed roll-ups.

For all Tee Closure Perpetual Comps there is a £3 entry fee, plus an optional £2 sweep. At the end of the competition we divvy out the sweep money to the top two or three winners (depending on the size of the field), with the overall winner getting more than 2nd place, who gets more than 3rd (assuming they paid in to the sweep - such a gamble for crappy players like me!)

At the AGM we give out prizes to the Tee Closure Winners.

At our Captains' Day we give out some extra prizes such as sleeves or boxes of balls for the top 3, bottles of booze, and for Longest Drives and Nearest the Pin (both for men and for ladies). Likewise for our two Away Day competitions (less the drinks).

How does this compare to your club or previous clubs? Would any of this put you off joining (or renewing) a club that had a similar arrangement? For context, please summarise what 'sort' of club, or even society, you're a member of.

Cheers, all!

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our monthly medals are £3 entry, with a £1 for 2's sweep. Shop vouchers for first and second, with those with a 2 sharing the pot (if they entered) with moneies put back onto their swipe card.
Thats just the medals:)
Im at a private members club:)

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
At my club comp fee is £3.50 which includes 2s. Money goes to 1st,2nd and 3rd plus lowest gross. There are usually over a hundred and twenty entrants for the Saterday comps. Medel comp are also put on wenesday and Sunday throughout summer.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
At one club now its:

£4 entry (£5 board comps)
£1 NTP
£1 2's
£1 Lucky 50 draw

So £7 if you go in the lot, most have given up on two's so the pool is pointless, last time I won £4 so I don't bother myself now.
They run a comp both days at weekends.

NTP Div 1 & 2 = £15
Win Div 1 & 2 = £50
Div 1 & 2 2nd = £30
Div 1 & 2 3rd = £15

Other Club:

£5 flat rate allocation is (.50p 2's, £1 NTP, £3.50 Comp)
Only run one comp at weekend and it's always full from 7.30am till 3pm every weekend (3 balls in single comps)
Prize pool for every aspect is decent with a total pool between £650-700 most weekends which is split between divisions obviously.

Not sure on the breakdown as it's not published the same at this club, but it's certainly bigger winnings however there are prizes allocated for divisions and tee's as we have some really old boys with us.

I typically play in both comps at course A and then the comp at course B so each weekend it's around £17 as I no longer bother with 2's at first course due to pathetic pool.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
We pay £4 and £1 for twos
50% of income paid out in prizes ,Medal this week was £50 ,£40, £30, £25,£20 and twos worth £13.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
£3.50 for comps inc 2s.
We had 169 players last sat so big fields.
£150 winner.
£100second.
Paid onto pro shop account.
Private members club 700 members.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My first club was like yours £2 in and the winner got a Medal and a sleeve of balls.

Current club £5 in 2 divs top 5 in each Div take home prizes. Plus for a board comp there is a bit of crystal.

To me prizes aren’t important I have 5 or 6 medals in drawer and no crystal left as it isn’t dishwasher safe.

I wouldn’t entertain asking about prizes when joining a club, and if I was interviewing a prospective member I’d have serious concerns about them if they asked.🤠

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
All regular club comps have entry fees
Prizes are done by handicap division either 2 or 3 depending on the number of entries 2-3 best net in each division and a single prize for best gross

Seniors and Ladies operate their own comps on a similar basis.

Comps with a Trophy attached the trophy is presented at the Annual prize giving.

All winnings go as credit to ones Pro shop account.

Some comps have prizes instead but if they came from the pro shop they can be credited to your account.

I would always have membership at a Private members club largely due to the amount of golf I play, works out at roughly £6-7 a round.