You never know what will work.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i have a friend who though a great ball striker has tremor in is right arm and hands. when i first started playing with him some 8 years ago he was a 3 handicap, as the shakes have gotten worse his handicap has risen up to 8 in that time.
Many a round he would smash a long drive down the middle and hit a great 2nd shot into the middle of the green. I and many other were always impressed with the ball striking and how well he drove the ball. That unfortunately the putting due to the tremor often resulted him 3 and often 4 putting from even short distances on the green, sometimes it was heat breaking to watch. over the years he tried every type and make of putter going to no real avail.

Earlier this year he switched to putting left handed (he is right handed and plays right handed). played with him twice in the last week and what a transformation, 4 birdies last game and gave me a real beating. He was holing 3 and 4 footers as easy as pie which before were the real problem. he said it had taken a good 3 or 4 moths to get used to it but now was starting to work.

Great to see such a nice guy finally get it all going together and make the most of all those great shots. though i hate getting beaten, I happily handed over the winnings he so richly deserved.

so if you are struggling you never know what might work.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That must have taken a lot of effort.

I once tried playing left handed - bucket of balls on the range and not a single good shot.

One of my mates is left handed, putts right handed but has done it all his life.

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There's a guy at our place who plays with two putters.

Putts RH outside 15 feet, LH inside.

Cured his yips but I always think it's mad how you'd ever think of trying it!

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’m right handed but can putt just as well left handed. However, I have to keep my right handed grip so I putt left handed with right below left. If I try left below right (right handed or left handed putting) it just feels wrong.

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thats a brilliant story, i wud try anything to keep playing golf due to an illness.
Did he come up with left handed putting himself or did someone suggest it

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
There's a guy at our place who plays with two putters.

Putts RH outside 15 feet, LH inside.

Cured his yips but I always think it's mad how you'd ever think of trying it!
I knew a guy who had/acquired the yips. Horrible to watch! He did a similar thing - left-handed for the short ones. I was about to 'donate' a Betti Riviera (double-sided) to him when he went left-handed for all putts.

D

Deleted member 21258

What a great story and sticking power by the guy.

Hope its a long term solution for him(y)

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
My mate did the same to cure the yips. Best ball striker at our club, but he does have the chipping yips and putts from everywhere if he can't bump an 8i. If he could chip he'd be a + handicap.

How does your mate go with his chipping Patrick?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
My mate did the same to cure the yips. Best ball striker at our club, but he does have the chipping yips and putts from everywhere if he can't bump an 8i. If he could chip he'd be a + handicap.

How does your mate go with his chipping Patrick?
not great but around Nairn you can get away with putting it most of the time, unless you are carrying something of course. He does have one of those Sure out wedges that helps short chips and bunker shots.

as for how he arrived at left handed i would have to ask him, but i'd imagine it was worth a try as he had tried everything else

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Always an advocate for people try different things no matter how off the charts it may seem.

Played with a bloke at lee park who putted with 1 hand from 15 feet and in. I didnt want to mention the the yips incase it set him off. Lol