Yips

Mike_j_golf

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Have the chipping yips, i spend a couple of hours on the short game area each week and i chip great but once i'm on the course i'm hitting thinning them, hitting them fat even topping them. The technique if fine have stood in front of the pro and hit 20 perfect chips in a row. So its all mental, anyone else been thru this and what have u done to recover or has anyone any tips.
Mike

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
i swear by Bob's V-easy for chipping. I used to think a wristy "professional" looking stroke with my hands forward was the best, but now i practise with the v-easy, and out on the course i have saved loads of shots in the past year as a result

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Have you asked the pro to go out and play a few holes with you and see what changes?
I'm guessing it's a lack of confidence and commitment to the stroke.
Either that or the stroke gets panicky and jerky and jabby with no real follow through.

You will notice below the acceleration through the shot to a low finish

[video=youtube;UWS-7Uqt5I0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWS-7Uqt5I0&list=UUFeb2vdftHQESr49G8ZorhQ&index=8&feat ure=plcp[/video]

Mike_j_golf

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
All of the above Bob, that low running shot is the one that strikes the least fear into me. Once i have to put any height into it when i panic. I think it is just mental more than physical.
Mike

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The chip with the V-Easy stays low for the most part and not teally meant for the higher longer pitch shots.
Next time you are on the course try this.
Imagine there is a piece of string about 6 inches off the ground and stretched out about 4 ft in front of you.
Now, try and hit the ball under the string and be sure to take some form of divot with the shot.
The ball should pop up over the string with a nice downward strike

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Have the chipping yips, i spend a couple of hours on the short game area each week and i chip great but once i'm on the course i'm hitting thinning them, hitting them fat even topping them. The technique if fine have stood in front of the pro and hit 20 perfect chips in a row. So its all mental, anyone else been thru this and what have u done to recover or has anyone any tips.
Mike

Have you not read about my ongoing nightmare for the last year? I've been in your position and stood over it and been scared to take the club back. The V-easy has helped me a lot and I'd recommend it. I had a lesson too which helped. Try this. If the pro asked you to throw the ball onto the green would you go through a checklist of what you needed to do? No of course not. You just need to find a way of taking the thought process out of the action and keeping it simple and moving through the shot

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Isn't Golf odd. I can play the wedge chips a good 'un, it's the long low runners that cause me the most grief.

Years ago, it was totally the reverse.

???

Mike_j_golf

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Thanks for the replys, i think lessons have made things worse as i have too much going on in the head standing over the ball. I must admit a jigger has crossed my mind. Going to give it another week or so and if it does not improve will try a different method.
Mike

m10johnson

Head Pro
Visit site
The yips is a very hard situation to get out of. The amount that you practice will not necessarily help you improve because the yips is a case of somatic anxiety.

This is a physical manifestation of anxiety that is non controllable and is disruptive to fine motor skills. The muscular tension in your body cause reduced co-ordination, which leads to disruptive shots, fat, thin, whatever.

I would suggest playing a simple game of HORSE with a friend on a chipping green to create a little bit of competition, which is more like what you face on the course. Repetitive chipping will not sort the yips out.

Knew my sports degree would come in handy :)

Mike_j_golf

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The yips is a very hard situation to get out of. The amount that you practice will not necessarily help you improve because the yips is a case of somatic anxiety.

This is a physical manifestation of anxiety that is non controllable and is disruptive to fine motor skills. The muscular tension in your body cause reduced co-ordination, which leads to disruptive shots, fat, thin, whatever.

I would suggest playing a simple game of HORSE with a friend on a chipping green to create a little bit of competition, which is more like what you face on the course. Repetitive chipping will not sort the yips out.

Knew my sports degree would come in handy :)
Thanks