Yardage watches / rangefinders - recmmend please

UlyssesSky

Head Pro
Visit site
Just bought the Bushnell V3 and really like it. Sells for about 230€ (~170 GBP) here in Germany, which makes it almost a no-brainer if you're looking for a laser and don't need slope.

Steve1821

Visit site
I got Tom-tom this time last year and had to take it back as the course info was way off (400yd holes tagged as par 3, bunkers not identified) ended with Golfbuddy WT4 very pleased, not just FCB but also lay-up and carry for streams

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I have a Garmin S2 (got it as a birthday present, so it was not really my decision to buy it) and it is a solid and reliable piece of gear. Does what it's supposed to do. I like the convenience a gps based device provides, one quick glance on the watch and you've got your distance. Still, if I where to shop for a rangefinder again, I'd probably go with a laser this time. I sometimes wish I could measure the distance to a certain obstacle like a bunker or the like. Also, if your course changes to winter greens (which my home course does every year), the Garmin becomes pretty much useless.

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Also, if your course changes to winter greens (which my home course does every year), the Garmin becomes pretty much useless.

An option when this happens is to measure the distance the pin is on the winter green away from the centre of the main green and make a note of them all on a spare card. Then you have an updated yardage.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
An option when this happens is to measure the distance the pin is on the winter green away from the centre of the main green and make a note of them all on a spare card. Then you have an updated yardage.

Not a bad idea, but on our course the winter greens are in really weird places on a few holes, way to the side. So depending on the angle you have to the green it would be a very rough estimate. Better than nothing, though, I suppose.

Crawfy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Both the Garmin S1 and S2 are below your budget and will provide what you need

This. S1 is great/simple kit. Easy and quick to use. Plenty bargains on that Fleabay place from players who have upgraded. This will save on your budget too.
Maybe wait till after xmas as I'm sure plenty will be getting offloaded after santa has delivered new kit to some

Jake O'Reilly

GM Staff
www.golf-monthly.co.uk
Hi all, looking for recommendations re gps watches / rangefinders, what do you find best to use, don't necessarily need exact yardages to pin, front back and middle would suffice. I have a budget of around £150.

Thanks in advance

From our GM testing, and with your budget in mind, I'd look at the Bushnell Neo Ghost GPS unit (RRP £99) and the Nikon Coolshot 20 laser rangefinder (RRP £179 from memory). The former provides front centre and back numbers and four hazards per hole and fits discreetly in your pocket or clips on your bag, while the latter is an accurate laser from a respected brand and at a good price.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I got Tom-tom this time last year and had to take it back as the course info was way off (400yd holes tagged as par 3, bunkers not identified) ended with Golfbuddy WT4 very pleased, not just FCB but also lay-up and carry for streams

My wt4 is deadly accurate and gives me loads of information, only downside is the software freezes mid round quite regularly and needs to be rebooted.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I just bought the bushnell neo xs watch. It's great does exactly what you need.

Glad to hear that,just purchased one myself but haven't had chance to use it yet.
The rubber strap makes it very comfortable to wear & it seems pretty easy to use.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Glad to hear that,just purchased one myself but haven't had chance to use it yet.
The rubber strap makes it very comfortable to wear & it seems pretty easy to use.

You'll love it.
Very easy to use.
The only "problem" I have with mine is that it doesn't move on from our 11th green to the 12th tee, but they are very close to each other.
I know it does it every time so just make sure I alter in manually.
Other than that, it's a fantastic piece of kit.
Rob