Yardage watches / rangefinders - recmmend please

Kaizer_Soze

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi all, looking for recommendations re gps watches / rangefinders, what do you find best to use, don't necessarily need exact yardages to pin, front back and middle would suffice. I have a budget of around £150.

Thanks in advance

D

Deleted member 15344

Both the Garmin S1 and S2 are below your budget and will provide what you need

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I have the Bushnell Neo XS which also gives 4 additional hazards each hole and has excellent battery life, certainly enough for two rounds with charge to spare. Just about your budget but well worth it. If you do decide on them, go for the Grey or White and not the black as they have the better screen.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
The SkyCaddie Sport is well within your budget and guaranteed to be updated with course changes or the Linx which you can keep as basic or grow into with more features available as the need arises.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
I have the Snooper SG250 well under your budget and does all you require, only thing is you have to manually advance the holes.

Goldie

Club Champion
Visit site
My dad has an S3 which I have borrowed a few times to help me decide whether to get one of my own. After a few rounds I noticed that I hardly ever used the hazards features, only really use it for distance to F-C-B of greens. Went for the S1 and couldn't be happier with it. Perfect design and weight, not as bulky as others on the market and does all I need. On the odd occasion I play at a course other than my home I would more than likely buy a course guide for distances to bunkers/water from tees etc, but I don't really need that on my watch when playing at home.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I don't think I'll ever use a GPS watch, but if I were looking for one I'd be seriously tempted by the Microsoft Band.

Don't know if you need a Windows phone for it to work with, but as well as front/middle/back it tracks shots from the vibrations when you hit the ball so keeps score automatically.

There is also some form of partnership with Taylormade (probably fee paying) where you can get it to track your game like GameGolf.

http://www.microsoft.com/microsoft-band/en-gb/golf

Pin-seeker

Visit site
The SkyCaddie Sport is well within your budget and guaranteed to be updated with course changes or the Linx which you can keep as basic or grow into with more features available as the need arises.

Is there a subscription fee?

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
I've got the TomTom Golf and couldn't be happier with it. F/M/B, hazards and very easy to use score tracker. Very importantly, it's extremely comfortable as well. Plus I personally like the look of it

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I have the Bushnell Neo XS which also gives 4 additional hazards each hole and has excellent battery life, certainly enough for two rounds with charge to spare. Just about your budget but well worth it. If you do decide on them, go for the Grey or White and not the black as they have the better screen.

I have the same watch as Robster and can confirm exactly what he is saying. Unfortunately, I have the Black one and can also confirm that the screen is not quite so clear.
But the important thing he mentions is battery life. I had the Garmin S1 and it was okay for 18 holes, but if you are planning on playing 36 you can forget the last few holes unless you have the ability to charge it between rounds.
The Bushnells battery life is much, much better, easily lasting 36 holes. And the added convenience of having up to four hazards per hole listed is a bonus, especially if you are playing a new course.
As I say, I had the S1, but sold it.
I won't be selling my Bushnell.

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A
I have the same watch as Robster and can confirm exactly what he is saying. Unfortunately, I have the Black one and can also confirm that the screen is not quite so clear.
But the important thing he mentions is battery life. I had the Garmin S1 and it was okay for 18 holes, but if you are planning on playing 36 you can forget the last few holes unless you have the ability to charge it between rounds.
The Bushnells battery life is much, much better, easily lasting 36 holes. And the added convenience of having up to four hazards per hole listed is a bonus, especially if you are playing a new course.

One more here.... I swapped form an s1 to this and am very happy....

phils226

Medal Winner
Visit site
Has anyone tried the new Smartwatches? The Sony 3 has gps and will load apps such as Hole 19 and the new Moto 360 has the same. They offer so much usage that just for golf but I wonder how good for golf they are??

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Bushnell map upgrades are also free. Pay once and that's it. No additional charges for extra features.

G

guest100718

Nikon Coolshot 20 laser rangerfinder in worth a look. I had a Garmin G6 for a while but was forever forgetting to charge it.