Yardage in winter ?

Yogidog1

Visit site
Happy New Year to all.In the winter how do you measure your yardage ? Do you go a club more ?(I.e if you hit a 9 iron 120yds in the summer would you use a 8 iron in the winter ?or more to get there)
All replies appreciated.🏌️‍♂️🏌️‍♂️🏌️‍♂️

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I review how far my strike went after any "good" strike, and keep a half hearted track based on that of how far my clubs currently will deliver for me, so there isn't a club up or a club down, its more than the distances just migrate with me over the year.

I'm definitely feeling less distance on my drives, but for the irons at the moment i'm striking it much better on average, so i'm actually carrying a bit further than i did during the summer.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
General rule of thumb = go up 1 club.
Have to try and learn as you go though and adapt accordingly. Playing into a cold wind will need significantly more club

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
About 1 club up for me. Any sort of wind and I'll go up another club quicker than I would in summer as well.

I have no ego on that front, whatever club gets me there does for me.
I think this is about right for me. 150 yards for example, 8 iron in summer, 7 iron in winter. And as you say if it's blowing an absolute gale then there is cause to go up another club. (Unless that wind is coming from directly behind you of course.)

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Agree with the general consensus of all answers. Up one club and assess if that's too much on a good strike in neutral conditions

PaulyMcK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Lucky enough to be a member of two courses, one is parkland and the other is more links. Because of this I've mainly been working on strike throughout the winter as a Wedge at my normal course can carry 125 - 130 yards during Winter but at my second course it can roll out an extra 5 - 15 yards depending on the strike, wind etc. I get enough time to practice at my home course, but a lot of the time it's just about trusting your shot and knowing your strike.

If I strike the ball more out of the bottom, my spin rate drops which could see my ball rolling out more yards than I would want, but I usually still have the same carry or near to the same carry but overall total distance will be higher.

Looking forward to the warmer climate coming in and the light nights too.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Very temperature dependent for me

Approximately 10 to 18 degrees and I will be plus one club

Below 5-10 degrees and I will be plus 2 clubs.

Below 5 degrees and I could be plus 3 clubs

Below 0 and I do not play.

I use a buggy and all the extra layers to keep warm are a big factor as well as the effect of cold temperatures on the ball.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
it really does depend on air temp and pressure along with what ball you use.

For instance a Prov 1 I believe loses 1 yard per deg under its optimal temperature, which I believe is 30 deg C (I think) so you could easily lose 20 yards per shot. I have been using a soft comp ball over the last 2 months with good results, no loss in distance to my summer distances, depending on the wind.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
For me it is about one club more for the irons, but definitely more than that for the woods and hybrids (but since I normally hit those with the intention of hitting them as far as possible, clubbing up is not much of an option, it is more living with the fact that I will be woefully short whatever I try). I am striking the ball suprisingly well at the moment, but the combination of lower temperature, extra layers of clothing and no roll whatsoever really takes its toll.

D

Deleted member 23344

I tend to go up a club in the winter. Last summer, when the ground was so very hard, I found myself having to go down a club ... that was a new experience.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
With the mud making a perfect strike difficult and the cold air, I'm starting every shot assessment by going up one club more. Then if we have some wind I'll factor that in. Some holes, our 9th and 18th in particular into the wind are playing three clubs more into the green

D

Deleted member 1147

You have to bear in mind:

-The ball doesn’t compress as much when it’s cold

-You can’t swing as fast with the extra layers of clothing & because your muscles are unlikely to be fully loosened up

-Cold damp air affects how far the ball travels

As such you should probably club up at least 2 clubs. One or two for the weather and one for the usual under clubbing we all do😁

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
it really does depend on air temp and pressure along with what ball you use.

For instance a Prov 1 I believe loses 1 yard per deg under its optimal temperature, which I believe is 30 deg C (I think) so you could easily lose 20 yards per shot. I have been using a soft comp ball over the last 2 months with good results, no loss in distance to my summer distances, depending on the wind.
Same here, been using Titliest Trusoft and hitting same distance as summer yardages

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You have to bear in mind:

-The ball doesn’t compress as much when it’s cold

-You can’t swing as fast with the extra layers of clothing & because your muscles are unlikely to be fully loosened up

-Cold damp air affects how far the ball travels

As such you should probably club up at least 2 clubs. One or two for the weather and one for the usual under clubbing we all do😁
This is good advice.
I go up two clubs but vary it by going down the grip a bit .
A good way to do it is say 150yds is normal 7iron so hit 5iron choking down the grip a bit.
If you learn to hit your longer irons you will be able to hit anything.