Yardage differance

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
White 6099 Yellow 5613

I'm actually quite shocked. After all my moaning regarding distances off tees. But some are only iddy biddy differences and others not so. Still quite short off whites though compared to some on here. Can't figure out why I'm struggling now??? It's shorter and easier than my last place. :oops:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
White 6099 Yellow 5613

I'm actually quite shocked. After all my moaning regarding distances off tees. But some are only iddy biddy differences and others not so. Still quite short off whites though compared to some on here. Can't figure out why I'm struggling now??? It's shorter and easier than my last place. :oops:
Is it tighter, greens domed etc? Length does not automatically equate to difficulty.

Bwgan

Hacker
Visit site
Whites 6301 / Yellow 5944
Par/SSS 70/68
An even spread of the extra distance, more noticeable on Par 3's moving to long irons/hybrids

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is it tighter, greens domed etc? Length does not automatically equate to difficulty.

Agreed, we played 9 holes last night and were having this discussion in the bar after, there were 3 of us off 5, 11 & 15 and we all scored consistently better over 6 rounds in Turkey recently on much longer courses than our own, our own course is narrow, tree lined with small slopey greens.

D

Deleted member 21258

Home club is ME 6020 vs 6233 par 71 (SSS 69, 70 respectively)

RSD is 6225 vs 6403 vs 6629 par 69 (SSS 71, 72, 73 respectively)

Not surprising I have never broken my handicap at RSD off any tee, maybe I should try the reds next time:LOL:

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
6512 off the Whites, 6269 off the whites. Not many holes where there's a big difference off the whites. 2nd, 8th and 14th the only ones where it makes any real difference.

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Whites 6226
Yellows 5956

So only 270 yards of a difference. Most holes it’s basically just an extra club or two at a push for your approach, though the 5th is about 60-70 yards longer, the 6th is a completely different angle and the 8th is way more elevated off the whites.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
306 yards.

We do have the land to make it a bigger difference on most holes.

Most significance is on the par 5s and the longest par 4 hence the SSS going up two shots between the 2.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Yellows 6383, whites 6778, 395yd difference. You notice the difference.

There are some long courses on this thread.

This is one of the points of me starting the thread LT. Missis Ts birthday so i may be commenting in a day or two👍

AdamC28

Visit site
286 difference here.
5739 off the whites and just 5453 off the yellows.
It's quite a narrow course with quite a bit of elevation change so seems longer than it is.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
6384 white, 6113 yellow, so a difference of 271 yards. In general it simply makes most holes 10 yards or so longer, but the par 4 11th goes from 360 to 410 yards. Its a dog leg to the left and only the longer hitters can make it to corner off of the whites

Tashyboy

Visit site
In essence the reason I ask is quite simple. Take for example our SI 1 580yds par five. From the whites its 175 yds to the fairway. Sometimes with wind in the face. Trouble left and right. Any fade or pull and it's dead. Yellow pots are 30 / 40 yds further forward. Play off the yellows you hit the fairway or semi rough RHS.
Fifth hole par five zig zag it's called, again 170yds slightly up hill to the fairway, mature oaks left and right. Yellows 20-30 yds forward. Fourth par five similar. 9 th par 4, 160 to fairway, over the pond, oob Lhs, I could go on and on. In essence when distance is the courses hazard and your not a big hitter. Quite frankly it's bogging me off. Being 56 yrs young I can play off the yellows as can all me PP. Ave spent money on clubs and lessons and slowly slowly me drives sometimes go where I want them. Got to the stage where am busting a gut to lower me hcap and yet by moving from white to yellow pots I can save 500-600 yds.
Most of the yards that kill my round are off the tee. So do I take the plunge. Ave told me PPS that next year am playing off the yellows, may well be before the end of the season. Losing three balls on Tuesday and two on Thursday is taking the enjoyment off something I enjoy.

Last edited:

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Seems a bit harsh for higher handicappers and even mid handicappers. Or just those with older gents that don’t hit too far. Without wind you could club down and just knock one to the start of the fairway, which is still not easy for some! Almost like a penalty shot before you start. But with wind and clubbing up you’d need to be pretty bang on every time. How do other members feel about it?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Seems a bit harsh for higher handicappers and even mid handicappers. Or just those with older gents that don’t hit too far. Without wind you could club down and just knock one to the start of the fairway, which is still not easy for some! Almost like a penalty shot before you start. But with wind and clubbing up you’d need to be pretty bang on every time. How do other members feel about it?

When he gets the slope ratings it will all change - the examples given are exactly what it will reflect most.

In answer to the early question

6777, 6465 & 6001 are the yardages for the 3 men's competition tees. The former can get pushed out to 6870 (within the relevant rules and ratings) and is played at that for the major events. Senior events are focused on the middle and lower length tees. Some events (at least 1 a month) permit competition across all these tees with individual players making their choice on the day, and scores adjusted to ratings.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Blues 7278
White 6740
Yellow 6300

During the Ryder cup they managed to add extra yardage as they had put in a few extra tees

Tashyboy

Visit site

I think the general consensus is " it's the same for everyone", but am not to sure that's the answer. On a few of the holes the fairways could be brought back another 20-30 yards eg, 6,9,11,14. You are talking about cutting grass, that's it. But the club has put effort into sorting out the black tees. I heard a comment off one of the green keepers the other week. He is a cat one player. " yes it looks nice where we have took out the rough between 13 and 16, it's now a lovely bail out area for us big hitters as it gives us a good line into 13 green. We never draw it outta bounds Lhs now". So things have changed for the big hitter, ironically it was never an issue for me.
I quite like Duncan's comment re when the ratings come out. It's gonna open a can of worms, but it's gonna be interesting. We had our pit golf day at the end of June. 59 lads there with a few from Lindrick and Sherwood.. In essence, they struggled to score. Long course, they were good players and hit fairways, but struggled on the greens, which are brutal but fair. This is one of the bits that does me. Driving is not me strongest part of me game at the moment, but once am on the fairway I am happy as a pig in muck, bunkers, pitching and putting. I play better than a 19 hcapper