Wrong Yardages on Garmin

AddisonRoad

Visit site
Hi Garmin owners,

Has anyone had an issue with a Garmin giving wildly wrong yardages? I played a few holes at my local municipal yesterday and the yardages were a good 300 yards off (I play here often and this has never happened before). The first hole is around 330 and was reading 600+ on the tee. I turned the watch on and off, deleted the course on the Garmin app, and redownloaded it, and still, it was giving these readings. Has anyone experienced something similar?

RichA

Visit site
I've got a Venu 2. The only issues I've had have been down to user error - normally when I've accidentally scrolled onto the next or previous hole.
Otherwise it's always seemed to be bang on.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The yardages are only as good as the person doing the mapping in the first place.

Mine does not give the yardages to the back of the green on some holes where I play.

I know with some GPS manufacturers you can contact them and get them to correct the error.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Might sound daft, did it start you on the correct hole? I was at a new course, to me, recently and it started me on the 10th for some reason. I only realised because the yardage was daft, as yours was. I changed the hole I was on to the 1st and all was well again. Too late to know now in reality but I suspect that is what happened and you didn't notice the hole number.

AddisonRoad

Visit site
Might sound daft, did it start you on the correct hole? I was at a new course, to me, recently and it started me on the 10th for some reason. I only realised because the yardage was daft, as yours was. I changed the hole I was on to the 1st and all was well again. Too late to know now in reality but I suspect that is what happened and you didn't notice the hole number.

Lol, don't worry - I very much could have been capable of starting it on the wrong hole. However, I triple-checked I was on the first (And then restarted it and double-checked again), so I don't think that was the issue this time.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
There is a contact on the Garmin website to inform them of anything that is incorrect with their mapping.

bradleywedge

Visit site

I had this problem. I used to turn on the watch soon as I arrived at the course and it automatically starts on the nearest hole to you at the time.

Best to turn on when you are on the first tee

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had this problem. I used to turn on the watch soon as I arrived at the course and it automatically starts on the nearest hole to you at the time.

Best to turn on when you are on the first tee
Ah, thanks for that tip. I suspect I was trying to be clever and starting the process in the car park.

I have a Garmin S12 and it locks on pretty quickly so there is no real need to start the search early.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Another daft possible..
Have they changed the layout, swapped the 9s recently?

Eastham Lodge ia a good example of this. Got to about the 6th and the yardage was increasing as we got nearer the green. Didn't have a clue what was going on and no one else in the group was getting a correct reading. Next hole, same again, so we asked the group behind and they were all the same. Messed around with the watch for a bit and eventually got a true reading but not for the hole we were on. They must have changed the layout in the middle of the course.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yardages to the wrong hole brings back a memory.*

Playing in a competition with two guys who have played the course for years, both have reasonable newly acquired GPS units get to a tee and both say what the what the yardage is and both come up woefully short of the green.

Now you think having played there for years they should know roughly what the correct club is and something was amiss when they take out a club 4 less than what they had taken before owning a GPS unit.

*We had just played our short 16th hole and were on the secondary tee for the 17th. Neither had advanced their units to the 17th hole and it was giving them the yardage to the 16th green just a 120 yards away, the 17th green being about 160 yards away.

AddisonRoad

Visit site
Yardages to the wrong hole brings back a memory.*

Playing in a competition with two guys who have played the course for years, both have reasonable newly acquired GPS units get to a tee and both say what the what the yardage is and both come up woefully short of the green.

Now you think having played there for years they should know roughly what the correct club is and something was amiss when they take out a club 4 less than what they had taken before owning a GPS unit.

*We had just played our short 16th hole and were on the secondary tee for the 17th. Neither had advanced their units to the 17th hole and it was giving them the yardage to the 16th green just a 120 yards away, the 17th green being about 160 yards away.

I've been a victim of this before when playing at Hadley Wood, lol. However, this time I'm pretty sure it wasn't the case. I had just returned from overseas the day before and hadn't used my watch in the UK since I returned, so maybe I need to update the software again or something.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had an issue with a Shotmiser . Played a new course and got to the 3rd hole which was 360 yards and had a blind tee shot over a ridge and down a hill to the hole. No danger on the display so hit my driver. Walked up to the ridge only to find a pond in front of the green where my ball had ended up. Emailed Shotmiser to let them know and within a week they'd updated the course and sent me a box of ProVs as an apology.