Would you walk off if you injured yourself?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Playing today, hit a drive on the 5th and felt my back twinge. Kept on playing and kept on feeling the twinges. Was having to lean on my putter when picking the ball up.

Managed to complete the round and didn't feel too bad, but totally seized up during the 20 minute drive home, and can hardly stand up straight now.

I do have a bit of a history of back problems - ended up having surgery to remove one disc and shave another a few years ago - but it's been fine recently.

Am now thinking I should have walked off when I first felt it. It was a 3 ball so I wouldn't have left anyone in the lurch, but walking off does seem like a bit of a wussy over-reaction to me unless you have broken your arm or something like that!

D

Deleted member 21258

Think I have only injured myself on the course once, typically at Sunningdale, tore muscles, I couldn't do anything without pain, wife had to push the trolley. I was gutted I couldnt play, all that money and no 1 on my bucket list.

Was I going to walk in, not on your nelly I wanted to see the rest of the course.:D

I walked the rest of the course, may only be there once and probably do the same at any course provided I could walk fairly pain free and playing partners wanted to carry on.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
why not inevitably you would probably been doing yourself more harm than good.

All too often we straggle around when we should probably walk in, did the same myself, had an intercostal Muscle tear a couple of years ago and kept on playing despite every time i hit a shot it was like someone stabbing me between the ribs.. hard.

Robin Hood

Visit site
It's the easy thing to say walk off, however I understand why you stayed out.
I hope you have a good regime for a quick recovery.
BUT - Next time - DO WALK OFF 😁

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have once before. Already had a dodgy knee and thought i was ok to play, managed about 6 holes before I thought I couldn't carry on. but the walk back to the clubhouse and the next 3 holes was the same walk so finished after 9. No point carrying on if your hurt. It's only a game after all.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wouldn't walk off if it just felt like a twinge. Although I would take some ibuprofen, which I usually have in my golf bag. I would probably walk off if it still hurt every time I tried to swing.

I would also have strongly considered walking off if I had a "history of back problems" as you put it.

It also depends on the circumstances. I am far, far less likely to walk off from say the 5th hole, than the 15th hole, and much more likely to walk off if it's a poor round than a good round, which I'd like to finish if at all possible.

P.S. Then again I once played 18 holes six days after spraining an ankle, with a support bandage on and plenty of ibuprofen in me.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
When I played in my first ever serious comp, I played with my brother and a woman. First time I had ever played with a woman. I was seriously on my best behaviour. I was playing well. Anyway she stopped playing as she aggravated an old injury. Cannot remember what. She walked with me and my brother for the last six holes. She was fantastic encouraging me. I came in with 42 points and won captains day. I never knew what agony she was in. But am convinced her being there helped me win and for that am eternally grateful. Me brother also said "she didn't just encourage me but she covered your back". I was unsure what he was on about. He said that ' her being there ensured that everything was 100% correct, in a sense that if she had walked in and left us two brothers to finish the round, there would of been whisperings re my victory". Bless ya Jackie 😘

Wolf

Visit site
Had to hobble off the other week due to pain in my foot that started months ago as a niggle, since been diagnosed with a bad case sesamoiditis that may require removal of a small bone in my foot. For days after that I couldn't walk at all, today I played after having steroid injections which helped but wish I'd walked off the first time I felt the pain may not be where I am now. Will be out for weeks if I have to have the surgery. My advice based on this experience is next time you get a twinge don't risk it, get off the course and get it seen to. Nobody will ever hold that against you.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Have done so twice, once with a back problem at Silvermere and last July at Buckingham in the bonkers heat when I pushed it too far, too soon after surgery.

It’s not worth possibly making an injury far worse by continuing.

It’s just sensible 👍

Boabski

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I would have walked , golf will still be there when you recover , someone already said, it’s a game , we don’t rely on it to pay the mortgage

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Yes. Back went on second. It's about 150-200 yards from the clubhouse and took me about 15-18 minutes to get there. Also tried playing the macho and done myself longer term damage and missed more golf than had I left the course

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hell, yes. Played 9 holes with a prolapsed disc (didn’t know at the time) and set my game back a year. Idiot. Still, shot 3 over though 😉😂