Would you have told him?

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
Playing with a regular PP who is known to miscount shots on some holes. There is no malice in it and it's always a genuine error. We laugh about it from time to time, as I've done it myself.

What has never happened before is that during a bounce game he played his fifth stone dead and in for 6 (par 5). However he stated it was there for four and in for 5.
I was on the green for 3 and had a putt 'for the win'. It was a lengthy putt and not even a 2-putt certainty. I questioned the number of shots and he confirmed it was in for 5. There were people waiting to play so instead of wasting time I hit the putt and it dropped so I won the hole anyway.

On the way to the next tee I brought up his shots as I wasn't happy about being under pressure when I could have just had a simple 2 putt for the win. The other two in the group were out of the hole by that point so not really paying attention.

He just said 'you won the hole anyway' and he seemed miffed that I even brought it up. Like I say there's no malice and the thread isn't about that, but would you have told him?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I never actually pay attention to how many shots other people have had, so I'm not sure I would have even noticed. I've probably been told the wrong score in the past and just happily wrote it down. :LOL::unsure:

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
I never actually pay attention to how many shots other people have had, so I'm not sure I would have even noticed. I've probably been told the wrong score in the past and just happily wrote it down. :LOL::unsure:
😀 To be honest it could happen more and I just don't notice.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Playing with a regular PP who is known to miscount shots on some holes. There is no malice in it and it's always a genuine error. We laugh about it from time to time, as I've done it myself.

What has never happened before is that during a bounce game he played his fifth stone dead and in for 6 (par 5). However he stated it was there for four and in for 5.
I was on the green for 3 and had a putt 'for the win'. It was a lengthy putt and not even a 2-putt certainty. I questioned the number of shots and he confirmed it was in for 5. There were people waiting to play so instead of wasting time I hit the putt and it dropped so I won the hole anyway.

On the way to the next tee I brought up his shots as I wasn't happy about being under pressure when I could have just had a simple 2 putt for the win. The other two in the group were out of the hole by that point so not really paying attention.

He just said 'you won the hole anyway' and he seemed miffed that I even brought it up. Like I say there's no malice and the thread isn't about that, but would you have told him?
If it is a regular thing it would annoy and grate. He's either trying to cheat, although I use that word reluctantly, but more likely trying as you say to put undue pressure on. If he is getting miffed he is probably annoyed you rumbled his tactic or using it as a defence mechanism assuming you thought it was a deliberate mistake. Tricky how you deal with. My concern would be if he tries and gets away with it in comps as well. One thing in a bounce game and another in a comp

D

Deleted member 25172

I have 2 of the same kind that I play with sometimes. It very annoying having to correct their score at least once every round, but yeah, they never play any comps or such but just the friendly knock with the same group of friends every time. If they were members and/or ever playing with people outside our group I probably would've had a more serious kind of talk with them about it.

But to answer the question, I usually always ask if they're sure on the count and then start adding up their shots, with the same outcome every time "oh yeah, forgot about that one"...

D

Deleted member 21258

If I notice and its a social game and not playing for money, then I wouldn't bother saying anything or I may say are you sure you didn't miss 'this shot'.

I would rather everyone just enjoyed it without confrontation, and the scores are irrelevant and don't count for anything.

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
I have 2 of the same kind that I play with sometimes. It very annoying having to correct their score at least once every round, but yeah, they never play any comps or such but just the friendly knock with the same group of friends every time. If they were members and/or ever playing with people outside our group I probably would've had a more serious kind of talk with them about it.

But to answer the question, I usually always ask if they're sure on the count and then start adding up their shots, with the same outcome every time "oh yeah, forgot about that one"...

It's the exact same scenario. We don't play comps and it's just the quote 'forgot bout that one'.

Was talking to another PP who's a psychology expert asking why better players can keep an eye on what everyone is doing and know how many shots everyone in the group has taken. He put it down to cognitive ease. They don't have to think much about their golf and all golfing stuff just comes naturally through lots of practice. Whereas us hackers need to spend too much time thinking about what we're doing to notice what everyone else is doing. (I'm aware this is a generalisation and won't apply to all good or bad players).

The PP who miscounts his shots is a duffer so he has difficulty recalling all his shots 😀.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's the exact same scenario. We don't play comps and it's just the quote 'forgot bout that one'.

Was talking to another PP who's a psychology expert asking why better players can keep an eye on what everyone is doing and know how many shots everyone in the group has taken. He put it down to cognitive ease. They don't have to think much about their golf and all golfing stuff just comes naturally through lots of practice. Whereas us hackers need to spend too much time thinking about what we're doing to notice what everyone else is doing. (I'm aware this is a generalisation and won't apply to all good or bad players).

The PP who miscounts his shots is a duffer so he has difficulty recalling all his shots 😀.
Alternatively they are super competitive so make a point of noticing how well every other player is doing.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site

You really should keep track of someone whose card you are marking, you are signing it to say the scores are correct.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You really should keep track of someone whose card you are marking, you are signing it to say the scores are correct.
I guess I just don't expect people to lie or struggle to count. If it sounded blatantly wrong I might notice. Like if they hacked around all over the place and told me they got a birdie.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I know someone who does this, I have pulled him up a few times. He tends to not count a shot like when he puts one OOB then has to play a drop. Another PP has joined us and does pull other PP up re scores.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
The guys I play with wouldn't miss a shot by anyone, after all we are playing for £1.00 and 'bits'!

same here except ist £2;)

i did play a couple of times witha guy a few years ago who reg did this, people alway us said it was in innocence, but he was missing 1 or two shots per hole, i'm not sure how you do that TBH. one medal round at Torvean he walked off the 8th (you crossed the road to the 9th Tee) saying he was 3 under gross, i was making his card and disagreed as he had lost a ball and only made 2 pars and no birdies, went though the scores, he just threw the other guys scorecard away and walked off:unsure:

if it was a bounce game with nothing on it who cares, but a comp or for money, why wouldn't you have some clue what the others were scoring?

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
With people who have difficulty counting (either because they 'forget' or take lots of shots) I tend to check their score once they're on the green "you're on for 3?" (or 4 or 6...)
Then you just have to add in the putts.

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site

I always know the number of shots all my PPs have taken ... and I’m certainly not a good player. I have a great memory though ... I don’t do it intentionally, I just have the sort of mind that effortlessly counts them. Fortunately, I have yet to need to challenge a PP in a competition ... I’m not sure how I would do it if I had to, I guess in a non-accusatory way ... and all my social games are with long standing friends who I know wouldn’t cheat and wouldn’t mind being reminded of their actual score if they accidently miscounted.

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I was always laugh to myself when my mate sinks his putt and says that’s a par. Doesn’t count the 7 balls he drove into the woods off the tee. Only fairway balls count off the tee you know 🙂

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Like others if its casual I couldn't care less, however once there is something on it (amount is irrelavant) then the right score is important and I am one who will count for some players who 'too often' miscount. I suspect its an attempt to cheat. When it happens too often then I stop giving the benefit of doubt.

There are others in my group who I would never count their shots as I simply don't need to. Their integrity is beyond reproach

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I pretty much always correct someone if they give me the wrong numbers. Always phrased as a question, e.g. "are you sure it wasn't..." Its habit I guess.

Only once had a guy take the huff over me querying it. I'd been accidentally on purpose drawn with him because he had a reputation of dodgy scoring and leather wedges. He's not played with us since.