The all things EV chat thread

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
One of my motors is coming to the end of its deal and am looking at options to replace it. The current supplier has offered me a pretty good deal to keep me as a customer, new motor for minimal deposit and an extra £6 a month. Trouble is it's a 2L diesel.

Another good option I've also been offered is on the new Peugeot e-208. It's a full electric model, which supposedly does 200 miles to a charge, although closer to 150 in real world terms. Mostly to be used by Mrs wedge as a run around, but will occasionally drive it to work (130 mile round trip, charging point at the office).

I'm kind of leaning towards the e-208, but still not sure on the slight extra cost vs the savings on using electric etc. I have a regular diesel for long journeys, so it really is for local runs mainly.

Anyone else running electric? Is it cost effective vs diesel? Would you go electric?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
At the moment..no.
Both cars are paid for.
No reason to change either, especially the Mrs car. 15 plate, 50k diesel...barely run in.
She likes it and it does what we need it to. Having said that, for the amount she now uses it, an electric would be ideal but the cost to change isn't worth it.
Mine will last a couple more years at least before it needs replacing.
The market for automatic lessons is small...rising but small.
Most want to learn manual and electrics are automatic
For the number of years I have left to work it wouldn't be worth it unless the market changes within a couple of years.
Never say Never but....

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
My company moves cars and we deliver lots of electric vehicles, they are certainly cheap to run, a full charge costing around £7 at a commercial charging point.

Whether it is the right car for you depends on your circumstances, you really need the capacity to charge the vehicle at home, a 3 pin plug cable will give you 50 miles overnight, but a dedicated supply which you can get a grant for, is the smart option.

The cars themselves are really good, nippy and responsive, the range will depend on how you drive it, too much right foot with lights on and the heating will dramatically reduce it

Also they are a premium price at the mo, this needs to reduce to match the petrol vehicle cost.

Battery technology is moving forward quickly and the electric car of 5 years hence will be much better and cheaper than the electric car of this moment in time

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
My company moves cars and we deliver lots of electric vehicles, they are certainly cheap to run, a full charge costing around £7 at a commercial charging point.

Whether it is the right car for you depends on your circumstances, you really need the capacity to charge the vehicle at home, a 3 pin plug cable will give you 50 miles overnight, but a dedicated supply which you can get a grant for, is the smart option.

The cars themselves are really good, nippy and responsive, the range will depend on how you drive it, too much right foot with lights on and the heating will dramatically reduce it

Also they are a premium price at the mo, this needs to reduce to match the petrol vehicle cost.

Battery technology is moving forward quickly and the electric car of 5 years hence will be much better and cheaper than the electric car of this moment in time

It's a lease option, so just give it back in 3 or 4 years depending on which term I take.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not at the moment. I think when we get rid of this one we'll think about it subject to charging. Thats definitely the biggest concern HID has at the moment. Hopefully by then things will have improved much more than they are now, cars will run further per charge

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There is an interesting concept about I can't remember the company but you rent the car

For the fee you get.. the car
Insurance
Service and maintenance
Tyres
And 1000 miles a month worth of free charge on the polar network

Fee set by car you choose

For example BMW i3 £469 pm

Anyways my next car I will be getting an electric car ... Hyundai Kona electric 64kw battery is one I'm eyeing.. 301 mile range .. real world 250 ISH

12,000 miles a year .. 4 year lease 3 months down .. £330 per month

Octopus energy 5p per hour to charge at night between midnight and 4am

Looking forward to it

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of my motors is coming to the end of its deal and am looking at options to replace it. The current supplier has offered me a pretty good deal to keep me as a customer, new motor for minimal deposit and an extra £6 a month. Trouble is it's a 2L diesel.

Another good option I've also been offered is on the new Peugeot e-208. It's a full electric model, which supposedly does 200 miles to a charge, although closer to 150 in real world terms. Mostly to be used by Mrs wedge as a run around, but will occasionally drive it to work (130 mile round trip, charging point at the office).

I'm kind of leaning towards the e-208, but still not sure on the slight extra cost vs the savings on using electric etc. I have a regular diesel for long journeys, so it really is for local runs mainly.

Anyone else running electric? Is it cost effective vs diesel? Would you go electric?

If you can charge at the office id 100% get one

The savings in fuel would be massive

A full charge on that would cost between £8.50 on a standard tarif but if you could charge overnight using a special tarif and combine with charging at work you could charge 4 hours a night £1.40 ... So a trip to work would cost you £1.40 ...... Just top up for free at work

We don't have charging at work

My current is 2l diesel or 1.5 petrol

I spend £160 month fuel for both cars combined

50 mile round trip

One charge using the 5p only ... £3.10 .. 250 miles that's a week at work for £3.10

Under £15 a month for fuel

You can programe it to only charge when you want so you don't pay the more electric fee

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
No. For what I use the car for, there is not yet the infrastructure or the vehicle that would suit my needs in terms of range; I can't guarantee having a charging point at places I would go to & the vehicles haven't got the range to make the round trip. The current car isn't 2 years old so no need to replace and I'm not prepared pay the current prices of electric cars, not that I could replace mine like for like with a full electric car; hybrid is as close as I could get.

Last edited:

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
There is an interesting concept about I can't remember the company but you rent the car

For the fee you get.. the car
Insurance
Service and maintenance
Tyres
And 1000 miles a month worth of free charge on the polar network

Fee set by car you choose

For example BMW i3 £469 pm

Anyways my next car I will be getting an electric car ... Hyundai Kona electric 64kw battery is one I'm eyeing.. 301 mile range .. real world 250 ISH

12,000 miles a year .. 4 year lease 3 months down .. £330 per month

Octopus energy 5p per hour to charge at night between midnight and 4am

Looking forward to it

The e208 Gti is a similar deal, 10k annual on a 4 year lease at £307 a month. It has great reviews too, am on the verge.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The e208 Gti is a similar deal, 10k annual on a 4 year lease at £307 a month. It has great reviews too, am on the verge.

Only reason I want the Kona is the 301 mile (250) range

It looks amazing aswell

Kia niro aswell another that looks good and has high range

I want the range so it can become my proper car whilst we keep the 7 seater for the family

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Not me at the moment for work due to the range limitation and length of charging, and my job takes me around the UK (in normal times). So I've just ordered a hybrid. However, my missus does very few miles in her car and nowhere near the range of a fully electric car so when she comes to change, that's something I will be looking at.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not me at the moment for work due to the range limitation and length of charging, and my job takes me around the UK (in normal times). So I've just ordered a hybrid. However, my missus does very few miles in her car and nowhere near the range of a fully electric car so when she comes to change, that's something I will be looking at.

See that's where I see changes happening

Second cars that aren't used as much

Since lockdown my wife's car has done less than 1000 miles

Before lockdown it was doing that a month .. and then I've replaced it as the main car

So easily could make it electric

My dad's toying with one for mum to drive to work in

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
See that's where I see changes happening

Second cars that aren't used as much

Since lockdown my wife's car has done less than 1000 miles

Before lockdown it was doing that a month .. and then I've replaced it as the main car

So easily could make it electric

My dad's toying with one for mum to drive to work in

Not gonna be the cheapest of options that surely? Would happily buy electric if I could justify it but as a low mileage user the purchase costs currently are exorbitant

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
We have a Nissan Leaf and a petrol Nissan. The all electric is a great car but, as it's a few years old the mileage isn't great but then Mrs D doesnt tend to drive far and generally we go in my car when necessary.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If the range was comparable to a tank of petrol/diesel and the new purchase costs were similar, then yes I would consider them a lot more.
I can see longer term issues though with charging of them. Only this morning I saw a dustman trip over the charging cable plugged into a lampost with the lead dragged along the pavement/gutter then behind a car next to the lampost then into the pug on the car which was on the live side of the traffic flow. Luckily the dustman didnt hurt himself or anything nearby, but it could have been much worse.