Would you bother?

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Day off work booked for Thursday to play in a comp in Wallasey but 'Doris' is forecast to be bringing 60mph winds and heavy rain during most of my round. Would you bother playing or even turning up even if you had paid a deposit?

FWIW, as long as the course is open I will be playing but finishing the 18 may be a different matter.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
tomorrow is my normal golf day for the roll up.

25mph winds and some fog in the afternoon, wondering if I can be bothered.

I think rain and 60mph I would skip for sure.

What is the wind limit for most you guys?

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's our comp day on Thursday and as long as the course is open I'll be out there playing. Half the time the forecast is wrong for us anyway on the Fylde.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What is the wind limit for most you guys?

Played in a H4H charity Texas scramble a couple of years back and for most of the round the winds were around 70mph and there were numerous horizontal hail showers. It was worth sticking it out as we came third. The top two places were taken by the last two groups out who played in bright sunshine and a light breeze.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's our comp day on Thursday and as long as the course is open I'll be out there playing. Half the time the forecast is wrong for us anyway on the Fylde.

I agree that the forecasts have not been that accurate for us either, luckily we have received better weather than forecast and over the winter we have only had rain for one of our Saturday comps. Thursday though doesn't look good.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It depends. How much have you paid and would it be refundable if the competition was cancelled. Personally if the financial loss wasn't huge I'd probably give it a miss

The deposit is only £20 so it is not an issue and would be refunded if the course was closed. Course open = comp on.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And to be pedantic, if it was on and then conditions deteriorated and became unplayable I assume once you start, your forfeit any refund. Personally given the winds forecast I'd be giving it a miss

To be fair to the organiser, I am sure that he would do something to recompense everyone who started. I am pretty sure that anyone who turns up will be under no illusions as to what to expect from the weather.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
When I played Silloth a few years ago the wind was pushing towards 40mph, I was chatting to the Captain when I came in and he said it was borderline for it to be closed as 40mph+ is a gale force and dangerous, so 60mph sounds unplayable to me.

MrBrightside

Assistant Pro
Visit site
When you hit the ball and it lands behind you, then it's time to walk in :D

I many years ago used to conduct abseil surveys of high rise buildings, 20-30 storeys high and we had a similar cut-off. If you threw your ropes off of the roof and they blew back up and over your head, its too windy, go home.

D

Deleted member 17920

Day off work booked for Thursday to play in a comp in Wallasey but 'Doris' is forecast to be bringing 60mph winds and heavy rain during most of my round. Would you bother playing or even turning up even if you had paid a deposit?

FWIW, as long as the course is open I will be playing but finishing the 18 may be a different matter.
Having played Hoylake in 50mph winds a couple of years ago it was unplayable.

Hopefully Peter will make the right decision and cancel it tomorrow.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Wallasey is a great course played the Frank Stableford many times.
Its not where you want to be in a storm.?
Brave man if you do.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I agree with what has been said: 60 mph winds are unplayable and potentially dangerous (even though you are on a links course, so at least there is little risk of branches falling on your head). But I would wait for Thursday and decide then, because the forecast may be wrong and the brunt of the storm may have already passed when you play.