Would a 'better' driver make any difference?

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
I started playing Golf about 7 months ago and the bug has bitten. At that time however I wasn't entirely sure if it would be an infrequent thing or if it would become an obsession, so I basically bought a beginners set of clubs (Dunlop Tour and a Slazenger Big Ezee 10.5 degree driver - reviews were mixed but a combination of budget and a 1-stop package convinced me).

It has now become an obsession, and whilst the clubs are fine and get me around the course I feel as if I need some advice on whether I should be investing in new (or better 2nd hand) equipment. I'm particularly interested in the driver - with a lot of practice and some lessons I’ve improved dramatically – to the extent that I feel as if I can’t get anything more out it. When everything comes together, my drives consistently carry about 200yards.

So I guess my question is, if I was to invest £100-150 (I’ve joined a club as I’ve figured practice is more important at the minute and as such need to limit my budget) in a new or 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] hand driver would this better equipment help in squeezing out a few more yards whilst I continue to work on my technique and swing? Thanks!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
as long as it's appropriate to you in terms of loft shaft and any inbuilt bias the simple answer is yes

I wouldn't budget beyond the bottom end of you listed numbers - even buying new I haven't paid more that £99.99 for a driver - so take advice from who ever is teaching/guiding you, try a few other peoples drivers at the club over time, and take it from there.

where abouts are you playing (when the snow clears obviously!)?

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hello and welcome, a new driver may help it will increase your confidence a new shiney always does!
Plenty of decent clubs around for your budget would suggest trying before you buy too.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
as long as it's appropriate to you in terms of loft shaft and any inbuilt bias the simple answer is yes

I wouldn't budget beyond the bottom end of you listed numbers - even buying new I haven't paid more that £99.99 for a driver - so take advice from who ever is teaching/guiding you, try a few other peoples drivers at the club over time, and take it from there.

where abouts are you playing (when the snow clears obviously!)?

Thanks Duncan. I'm playing in Armagh at the moment - I'm lucky in that there's lots of courses near me with really good deals at the minute.

I've tried a few other drivers (including Cobra S9, Callaway Ft) and they've sounded better and felt like they went further but these were simply single shots at different tees and I couldn't be positive. I'm getting mixed advice on whether it'll make much difference, and if it does make a difference what would a realistic expectation be? Also, would you recommend any particular drivers for the next step? Sorry to be a pain!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
No need to spend much money to get a good driver - my pro sold me his 1yr old Ping G15 for £50 (don't dare tell me I was ripped off :))

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
If the Driver is consistent - as opposed to the consistent distance when hit well - then I'd be inclined to keep the current set-up for the meantime. Though an upgrade could be worthwhile later this year.

How far do you hit your 7 iron?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm getting mixed advice on whether it'll make much difference, and if it does make a difference what would a realistic expectation be? Also, would you recommend any particular drivers for the next step? Sorry to be a pain!

Probably the single most important gain (expectation) from a driver is confidence; so the remote evaluation of a realistic expectation for you doesn't make a lot of sense. You touch on this with your observation on 'sound'.

As to recommending particular manufacturers, let alone models, this makes even less sense; and you will tend to get people recommending what they have rationalised as the right choice for them. Keep trying them on the course, and take a note of the shaft spec of any you feel you like (inspire confidence) - this will probably be a simple matter of R or S at this stage. The other key is alignment; how the club sits and looks behind the ball. This tends to have some consistency by manufacturer (there are exceptions but generally applies. Again note any manufacturer, or model, that looks good to you. You can short circuit this a little if you have access to a range with demo clubs etc, but not jumping in and taking a couple of months to draw your conclusions and make a buying decision will pay dividends.

Good luck.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
How far do you hit your 7 iron?

7 iron generally going about 135 yards? In the past few months club distances have sort of levelled out which makes course management & club selection a bit more predictable. Continuing to work on my swing and this has helped with how I'm striking the ball and flight path but no real gains in distance.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
7 iron generally going about 135 yards? In the past few months club distances have sort of levelled out which makes course management & club selection a bit more predictable. Continuing to work on my swing and this has helped with how I'm striking the ball and flight path but no real gains in distance.

That sort of equates to the 200 carry of the Driver.

So again. I'd recommend holding off for a bit - but try others and see if they feel/go significantly better. As Duncan posts, there is little to be gained in others recommending particular gear as it's quite personal! And certainly try to 'try before you buy'. If you can't, at least try to get something with a shaft flex that feels best - even though there is no standard!

As your swing improves, both those distances (Driver and iron) should increase.

Enjoy the ride!

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am with Fox on this one. If that is how far you hit your 7i then 200 is probably about correct with your driver. If you look at how far people hit their 7i compared to their driver it would show you that the distance you carry your driver is about correct. I hit a 7i around 170 yards and my driver has about 250 carry on it, just to give you a comparison.

But if you are going to get a different driver and want some ideas then I would always advise looking at TM Superfast 2.0 on Ebay. Pick them up at around the £50 mark, very nice bit of kit for hte money.

Last edited:

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks everyone - this is actually very helpful. I suppose my main (mental!) problem has been that having seen a progression over a period of time, things appear to have levelled out and this has led me to think part of the limitation was to do with the fact that my kit was inadequate - for example, Madadey hits his 7 iron 170 yards, would he hit my Dunlop Tour 7 iron 170 yards?

Certainly I know I need to work on everything else and given the good advice here I think I'll take my time and spend a bit of time on the range with demos.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Thanks everyone - this is actually very helpful. I suppose my main (mental!) problem has been that having seen a progression over a period of time, things appear to have levelled out and this has led me to think part of the limitation was to do with the fact that my kit was inadequate - for example, Madadey hits his 7 iron 170 yards, would he hit my Dunlop Tour 7 iron 170 yards?

Certainly I know I need to work on everything else and given the good advice here I think I'll take my time and spend a bit of time on the range with demos.

MadAdey hits the ball a long way. Most of us would be crying into our coffee if we compared ourselves to him!

There's lots of single figure players hit their 7 iron about 140-150 so considering you're relatively new to the game 135 isn't too short to play to a decent standard.

If you hit it 135 and straight EVERY time, it's not difficult to play in the 80's with an ok short game.
EVERY time is the thing most of us struggle with.

To answer your other question, yes he probably would hit your 7 iron 170yds, but it would also be 50yds left because the shaft would be too soft for him. That's the time when you NEED to change, when the shaft no longer suits. If you want to change that's fine too, but I don't think they will be holding you back at this stage of your golfing life.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
MadAdey hits the ball a long way. Most of us would be crying into our coffee if we compared ourselves to him!

There's lots of single figure players hit their 7 iron about 140-150 ....

I spluttered into mine reading it, and at this time of year I'm under the above 7 iron figures too..... :whistle: but that must be because I don't try and hit it any further :)

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I spluttered into mine reading it, and at this time of year I'm under the above 7 iron figures too..... :whistle: but that must be because I don't try and hit it any further :)

My figures are based on playing in normal conditions duncan. This time of year it is probably about 1-2 clubs shorter. I was just putting those figures up to give him an idea that getting a new driver isn't probably going to get him hitting it 250 yards if his 7i distance at the minute is only 135 yards.

But rksquire stick with it mate, that extra distance comes as you get better and you start striking the ball sweeter. But if you can carry your driver 200 yards so probably when the weather gets better with some role it will probably be going 220 and a 7i 140 that means with a drive and then a mid iron you can hit anything within around 350-380 yards in 2 shots. With that you will easily get a good handicap and be breaking the 90 mark.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
My figures are based on playing in normal conditions duncan. This time of year it is probably about 1-2 clubs shorter. I was just putting those figures up to give him an idea that getting a new driver isn't probably going to get him hitting it 250 yards if his 7i distance at the minute is only 135 yards.

I didn't respond when I spluttered into my coffee. only after Region3's post, because I fundamentally agree the principle - I'm just don't think the numbers support it as presented. Anyhow message agreed.

jason6r

Assistant Pro
Visit site
To the OP - I really wouldn't get hung up on distance right now and comparisons with others, although unavoidable for us all, are not really relevant. I'd suggest that you focus on the quality of your ball striking and your short game, before spending a ton of money on a driver. A good pitching wedge and sand wedge will probably serve you better right now IMHO.

Full disclosure - when I started out all I wanted to do was hit it a huge distance and I totally overlooked chipping, pitching, putting. Only when I began to concentrate on these aspects of the game when I returned to golf a few years ago did I really make progress in respect of playing and scoring.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks everyone, I’d a lesson last night and remarked on the advice that’d I been getting on the forum and he agreed that I shouldn’t change equipment just yet as he feels (like you all said!) I’ve a bit more to get out of the clubs I have. At the minute I’ve worked hard to get a repeatable swing through all the clubs, essentially this is a ¾ swing so I’ve to work on producing a full (but not harder!) swing – this played a bit of havoc with my weight shifting and through my accuracy of a bit but at least I have lots to work on. To indulge me however he did a bit of measuring pulled out an old King Cobra with a 1” longer shaft and hit a few balls, which was interesting. But the advice across the board is to leave it a few months and work hard with the kit I’ve got.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It may be against the grain - but my thoughts - and this is what I advised my fourball partner to do - was to put his driver away for a while. He could hit it well, but far too often hit a high fade and it was getting him into all sorts of trouble and lost balls. My advice (rightly or wrongly) was to forget his driver and take his 3 wood off the tee. He can get plenty of length using that and fault swings causing his high fade would have less of an effect. I suggested that he stuck with his 3 wood and worked a bit on his take-way and pick-up (which imo were causing his high fade) until he was pretty consistently hitting it straightish with his 3 wood. Until he was doing that he wouldn't be able to hit his driver. He has started hitting 3W relatively straight - he is also getting good distance and staying out of trouble.

I've encouraged him to stick with 3W for a while, getting a feel for his better take-away - build up confidence in his swing - and only then take out his driver when the hole permits. I did it myself many years ago - learnt to hit my 3W really well and played 3W off the tee for many years - getting down to 6h/cap without a driver.

So as an alternative to looking at a new driver that's what I suggest.

Last edited: