Visit site
Unbelievably slow

'Different handicaps based on cultural differences'

Gawd, put the ball in the hole

What cultural difference!

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If they started planning this in 2011, how long will it take them to implement it, considering they are talking about everyone using the same course rating system?

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
There seems to b3 a lot of licence in the timeliness and past dates in that document!

Unless my memory is failing badly, the original group that sat and produced the 10 principles for the delivery of the new system started more than 2 years ago!

Ultimately it's a good thing, but it won't solve the issues it sets out to - just more them around a bit.

Whether you (losely) base your system on an assesment of underlying capability or set out to reflect current form may be a great philosophical discussion but there are so many basic practicalities to any system (fundamentally based on the early period when someone starts the game, but generally reflecting playing habits) that to set out to resolve the unresolvable for no benefit at all for 99% of golfers (and probably hassle for more than 1%) doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Having played under New Zealand's version of the USGA system the sooner the better. I was very much against it when we emigrated but having got used to it feel it's a much fairer system for handicapping , it's your best 10 of your last 20 and yes every round can count but when you tee it up aren't aiming to to play the best round of golf you've ever played ? It certainly takes out the premise " OOh I cant play with a card in my hand " Yes you can , it's your mind set that's wrong.

Await developments with interest

Soft hands

Assistant Pro
Visit site
When I tee it up I'm not aiming to play my best score every time? When do you get the chance to practice things in friendly rounds then?

If people can't play with a card in their hand, surely they need to work on the mental side of their game?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'm relying on the fact its taken so long to get this far that I'll have stopped playing before it comes in. Not sure I'm a fan especially if we go to the US version of recording every round. Not worrying just yet though

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hard to argue that it makes sense to have one handicap system, the hard bit is finding one that keeps most happy as most are going to sway towards what they are used to

I certainly wouldnt want to be submitting a card every time i played, would be a lot of blobs on them :) does playing matchplay change the requirement to return a card under usga handicapping?

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hard to argue that it makes sense to have one handicap system, the hard bit is finding one that keeps most happy as most are going to sway towards what they are used to

I certainly wouldnt want to be submitting a card every time i played, would be a lot of blobs on them :) does playing matchplay change the requirement to return a card under usga handicapping?
In NZ in inter club matches we had to keep a card and hand it in at the end. If you finished early you scored yourself as per what you have scored per your handicap.
When I tee it up I'm not aiming to play my best score every time? When do you get the chance to practice things in friendly rounds then?

If people can't play with a card in their hand, surely they need to work on the mental side of their game?
Really, so do you have the mindset on the 1st tee, "Ok lets play rubbish and shoot my worst score ?" Maybe it's me just me thinking I'm going to shoot the lights out but there again I'm pretty positive .No reason why you cant practice shots on the course, remember it's best 10 from 20 some some rounds will be rubbish to your handicap index.

How is this policed. What happens when you have a friendly 4 ball and you don't finish a hole?
We used to score as per what you would have had per handicap wise i.e. par with no shot , bogey with

Your handicap index is just a number , it doesn't make you play better or worse , it has no effect on your swing but it will allow to play on a more even playing field when away from your home course when used in conjunction with the slope system