World Handicap System

Swango1980

Visit site
To me what I find irritating is that in Stableford Comps (the most common form of competition play here) far too many are obsessed by their points instead of their gross score and many want to check the points rather than the gross scores. I totally agree with you last sentence and wonder how many pick up
too early thereby affecting their Handicap Index calculation.
If you're playing in a competition, then it is more than likely you are a competitive golfer. If you have that drive, then it makes sense that you'll focus on the handicap that counts for your result. Ironically, the ones more likely to be focused on their handicap (wanting to keep it low) are the single figure handicappers, and their course and playing handicaps are the same anyway, so doesn't really matter,

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The Australians put it slightly differently but it comes to the same thing:
The result of the calculation is rounded to the nearest whole number..
Isn't the result of the calculation the 'Daily Handicap'? Subsequently a Handicap Allowance is applied (if appropriate) to the rounded DH.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you're playing in a competition, then it is more than likely you are a competitive golfer. If you have that drive, then it makes sense that you'll focus on the handicap that counts for your result. Ironically, the ones more likely to be focused on their handicap (wanting to keep it low) are the single figure handicappers, and their course and playing handicaps are the same anyway, so doesn't really matter,
Mines not.
I am6.4 playing off 7.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
The reality is that when 4 golfers get together for a friendly fourball they use their rounded course handicap. Exact values are for machines to deal with. and the reality is that for that friendly match it doesn't matter a jot.

That might be your reality, it's not the reality around here.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
That's absolutely not the case, it's almost as likely to be one shot different as it is the same. A 7.8 CH plays off 7, a 5.7CH plays off 5 for eg

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
The reality is that when 4 golfers get together for a friendly fourball they use their rounded course handicap. Exact values are for machines to deal with. and the reality is that for that friendly match it doesn't matter a jot.

It seems in deference to golfers in Cumbernauld and all who are straining their mental arithmetic powers, I should rephrase that:

The reality is that when 4 golfers get together for a friendly fourball they should just use their rounded course handicap. Exact values are for machines to deal with and the reality is that for that friendly match it doesn't matter a jot.

The basis for that advice is in the CONGU advice document:
For other National Associations, the Course Handicap used in the Playing Handicap calculation will be the full calculated CH value, as it is expected that the player will always have ready access to an App or other software to generate the Course Handicap rather than be expected to perform the Playing Handicap calculation themselves.

I must say that expectation seems unduly optimistic, unrealistic even but that's not the point. I think it is entirely reasonable to infer from this that if players do not on occasion have ready access to an app or other software, they can't be expected to use the exact value of their course handicap. For example, for a seniors match against another club we prepare a team sheet with playing handicaps, calculated on a spreadsheet, noted on it. When the same people roll up for a bounce fourball, they will take the differences amongst their course handicaps from the back marker as shown on the tables or on their SG app and get on with the familiar 90% of the differences (and yes I know that's no longer how they should do it).

The world won't end; the sky won't fall down; and Scottish Golf won't be sending round the heavies to knock them into line.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
It seems in deference to golfers in Cumbernauld and all who are straining their mental arithmetic powers, I should rephrase that:

The reality is that when 4 golfers get together for a friendly fourball they should just use their rounded course handicap. Exact values are for machines to deal with and the reality is that for that friendly match it doesn't matter a jot.

The basis for that advice is in the CONGU advice document:
For other National Associations, the Course Handicap used in the Playing Handicap calculation will be the full calculated CH value, as it is expected that the player will always have ready access to an App or other software to generate the Course Handicap rather than be expected to perform the Playing Handicap calculation themselves.

I must say that expectation seems unduly optimistic, unrealistic even but that's not the point. I think it is entirely reasonable to infer from this that if players do not on occasion have ready access to an app or other software, they can't be expected to use the exact value of their course handicap. For example, for a seniors match against another club we prepare a team sheet with playing handicaps, calculated on a spreadsheet, noted on it. When the same people roll up for a bounce fourball, they will take the differences amongst their course handicaps from the back marker as shown on the tables or on their SG app and get on with the familiar 90% of the differences (and yes I know that's no longer how they should do it).

The world won't end; the sky won't fall down; and Scottish Golf won't be sending round the heavies to knock them into line.

What is happening in my experience is most folk are using either their playing handicaps from individaul comps or the differences between the indexes. I haven't yet encountered anyone using rounded CH values from the charts as a basis to work anything out.

I have been asked on more than one occasion on the first tee what the proper playing handicaps should be and could I work everything out for everyone but have always politely declined, usually because early on a Saturday morning, the last thing the queue of players wants to watch on the tee is me on my mobile phone calculator app.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
What is happening in my experience is most folk are using either their playing handicaps from individaul comps or the differences between the indexes. I haven't yet encountered anyone using rounded CH values from the charts as a basis to work anything out.

I have been asked on more than one occasion on the first tee what the proper playing handicaps should be and could I work everything out for everyone but have always politely declined, usually because early on a Saturday morning, the last thing the queue of players wants to watch on the tee is me on my mobile phone calculator app.

A good illustration, I'd suggest, of what I was saying. Players should use the unrounded CH shown on their app or a chart in those circumstances.. If they are not using their course handicaps at all, that is fundamental. Some player education needed ?

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
A good illustration, I'd suggest, of what I was saying. Players should use the unrounded CH shown on their app or a chart in those circumstances.. If they are not using their course handicaps at all, that is fundamental. Some player education needed ?

I don't think it helps that there have been no scorecards to fill in since WHS was launched, so knowing your CH is largely an irrelevance in competition golf i.e. you don't need to know your CH to write it on your card as there are no cards and the app tells you your PH when you sign in and your new index after the comp rounds hit your handicap record. So all most folk know handicap wise in the new world is PH and Index.

You mention unrounded CH's on apps. Our club use V1 so I have HDID and the Scottish Golf app, but neither of these show unrounded CH's as far as I can see?

Last edited:

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't think it helps that there have been no scorecards to fill in since WHS was launched, so knowing your CH is largely an irrelevance in competition golf i.e. you don't need to know your CH to write it on your card as there are no cards and the app tells you your PH when you sign in and your new index after the comp rounds hit your handicap record. So all most folk know handicap wise in the new world is PH and Index.

You mention unrounded CH's on apps. Our club use V1 so I have HDID and the Scottish Golf app, but neither of these show unrounded CH's as far as I can see?
Maybe use your calculator function on the phone? Remember, it's up to the player to ensure that the correct handicap is on his or her "card" - it is not a Committee responsibility.
I would go along with player education required!

DickInShorts

Visit site

I use Scottish Golf app for scoring - when playing in a competition it shows PH. When playing a General Play round it shows CH.
There is no reason for it to show unfounded CH

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site

On the SG app, go into "Course Lookup" and enter any Scottish course and you will get your course handicap for each set of tees, 18 holes, front 9 and back 9