World Handicap System

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why does it show gross difference on most my scores but on some it doesn’t? Both in highlighted best 8 and others in last 20.

I don't know what the "it" is that you're looking at but for handicapping your gross score at a hole is adjusted to a net double bogey if higher. That's a maximum of Par +2 + any handicap stroke(s) received at the hole. Could that explain what you're seeing?

Last edited:

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I don't know what the "it" is that you're looking at but for handicapping your gross score at a hole is adjusted to a net double bogey if higher. That's a maximum of Par +2 + any handicap stroke(s) received at the hole. Could that explain what you're seeing?

Sorry for the confusion, my adjusted gross scores are shown on some of my results but on others the adjusted gross scores are not shown.

badgergm

Visit site
For a par/bogey competition, is there a difference between bogey and net double bogey for handicap purposes? i.e. can you pick up when you have lost the hole, or do you need to hole out for net bogey? I cant see anything which says other than net double bogey applies if you pick up.

Am I right in saying that it was different pre-WHS, and that all you needed for handicap purposes was match result (e.g. 3 up or 3 down)?

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
For a par/bogey competition, is there a difference between bogey and net double bogey for handicap purposes? i.e. can you pick up when you have lost the hole, or do you need to hole out for net bogey? I cant see anything which says other than net double bogey applies if you pick up.

Am I right in saying that it was different pre-WHS, and that all you needed for handicap purposes was match result (e.g. 3 up or 3 down)?

If you tried that (pre-WHS) it would be a DQ if you didn't enter the gross scores. Using Handicapmaster (post-WHS), you can enter a score or 0 if it's a loss of hole (-).

badgergm

Visit site
If you tried that (pre-WHS) it would be a DQ if you didn't enter the gross scores. Using Handicapmaster (post-WHS), you can enter a score or 0 if it's a loss of hole (-).

Yes, understand that. Didn't express that very well. But what I mean is that pre-WHS there was no difference handicap wise between a net bogey (hole lost) and a net double bogey (hole lost). Is that still the case in WHS? Would seem potentially advantageous handicap wise - i.e. max score is max bogey.

But I see that Rule 21.3b still says "To help pace of play, players are encouraged to stop playing a hole when their score exceeds the fixed score (as they have lost the hole)."

badgergm

Visit site
England Golf seem happy that not rounding before applying soft cap is correct. I haven’t as yet managed to get any acknowledgment that this is not what the rule says....

Final word from England Golf:

"We have passed this to the World Handicap Authority for consideration. They are responsible for the Rules of Handicap and the wording used.

However I can confirm the system is responding inline with the technical specification we have been given."

Ridgeman

Visit site
Probably been asked but can't see it. Today I sign in to be told my handicap is 12 but my playing handicap for the competition is 13. That I understand. What I don't get is when I enter my score into how did I doday it shows it as only have 12 deducted from the gross and not 13. I know what handicap purposes it doesn't matter but for place in the tournament it does. Is this the same for everyone?

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Probably been asked but can't see it. Today I sign in to be told my handicap is 12 but my playing handicap for the competition is 13. That I understand. What I don't get is when I enter my score into how did I doday it shows it as only have 12 deducted from the gross and not 13. I know what handicap purposes it doesn't matter but for place in the tournament it does. Is this the same for everyone?

What format were you playing?

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site

Is the 95% used in Scotland? If so and you have a CH of 13 then your PH will be 12