World Handicap System

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I played a casual round at an away course (if that makes any difference?) on Sunday and started to add the score in the EG app. After 5 holes I realised that I had added the wrong tee, so I decided to delete the round and start again. This prompted a message saying something along the lines: "reason for deleting the round?". I stated the reason and deleted it, and started a new round from the correct tee's.

Anyone know if that will show in the system at my home clubs handicap committee?

Just curious as to how it works.

Yes it will. Not in your home system but in the WHS website that your handicap folks undoubtedly have access to. There is a report called "deleted score intents" that they can access. The report shows the reason that you entered, so as long as you had a reasonable reason (which you did to my mind) then I cant see your handicapping folk having an issue.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
No, it really isn't. Using the mean of the best 8 of 20 means the index approximates to the 4th or 5th best score out of the 20. The mean would be the average of the 10th and 11th. CONGU was really pretty similar because the numerical effect of a typical decrease outweighs the effect of an increase, which was capped.

CONGU tended to result in a lower handicap for a streaky player compared to a steady player, because their really good rounds brought the handicap down more for Mr Streaky, but the upwards effect of bad rounds were the same for both.

All handicap systems are essentially tackling the same problem, that less skilled players have more variable scores. On bad days they have a cricket score but on good days they diverge from their average much more than the better player can, so handicap systems are essentially trying to correct for this. One of the ways of doing this is to have the pivot point closer to your better scores than your worse scores, and others include the playing handicap correction.

WHS is more responsive, because it has much less "memory", you can have a completely new handicap every 20 rounds, whereas CONGU was pegged to the initial handicap then incrementally corrects up or down from that, so takes a longer time for large change.
I have been a streaky player for years. Battling the s***ks I could struggle it round to handicap or in buffer maybe 40% of rounds (though most would be above handicap); 40% above buffer as the s***ks would kill me, and 20% 2 or more under handicap when I kept them away and short game worked it’s magic.

I lose a 9.4 this weekend with my current next best diff being a 10.3 so as my HI is 9.5 my HI will go up unless I get it round in 10 over (9.4 + 0.94) or better. I’m interested in seeing how quickly my HI reduces with improved scoring (as that will happen once I have my new irons and get used to them ?)

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have been a streaky player for years. Battling the s***ks I could struggle it round to handicap or in buffer maybe 40% of rounds (though most would be above handicap); 40% above buffer as the s***ks would kill me, and 20% 2 or more under handicap when I kept them away and short game worked it’s magic.

I lose a 9.4 this weekend with my current next best diff being a 10.3 so as my HI is 9.5 my HI will go up unless I get it round in 10 over (9.4 + 0.94) or better. I’m interested in seeing how quickly my HI reduces with improved scoring (as that will happen once I have my new irons and get used to them ?)

That is the thing with WHS, there will be rises when you have a good score but not as good as the one that falls out of the 20, and other rounds where you play rubbish and no change. 6 of the 8 scores defining my index are in the youngest 10 of 20, if you see what I mean, so my handicap won't go up much, and I could put a few good scores in before then.

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We use HDID at Enville and I logged in that I intended to enter a score. When i came to add the scores later, I realised that I had entered that I was playing on our Highgate course when I was playing Lodge. I now cannot go back. How can I delete it or can I only drop the card in the box at the club with a note of my error?

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
We use HDID at Enville and I logged in that I intended to enter a score. When i came to add the scores later, I realised that I had entered that I was playing on our Highgate course when I was playing Lodge. I now cannot go back. How can I delete it or can I only drop the card in the box at the club with a note of my error?
Seems reasonable, the Secretary can delete the card entered in error.

Swango1980

Visit site
You may want to highlight your error by contacting your secretary maybe. Your club may be getting a lot of general play rounds being entered, so it may not be picked up when they collect your card. Not sure how thorough of a job your sec does, but most will at best be spot checking cards.

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You may want to highlight your error by contacting your secretary maybe. Your club may be getting a lot of general play rounds being entered, so it may not be picked up when they collect your card. Not sure how thorough of a job your sec does, but most will at best be spot checking cards.

I added a note to my card telling him what happened and asking him to delete the entry, or change to the correct course, depending on what is possible

Swango1980

Visit site
Had a strange one... Played an open, differential was 4.8, knocked off a score in my 8, of 5.8, yet my handicap hasn't changed??
I assume you checked the day after round? The round will appear on WHS as soon as you submit it, but handicap Index will not update until next day.

As mentioned, the score differential of your now 21st oldest score may need considered, as that could have been 4.8 also.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I assume you checked the day after round? The round will appear on WHS as soon as you submit it, but handicap Index will not update until next day.

As mentioned, the score differential of your now 21st oldest score may need considered, as that could have been 4.8 also.
yes next day. Dif is even higher on the 21 10.something!!

DickInShorts

Visit site
I don't think I've seen any pc c on any of my scores, both are discourses but same par, are both 70. Though the slope for the 77 is 134 and the 75 is 118

Par is irrelevant to handicap calculation. You need to subtract Course Rating from your Adjusted( for max nett double bogey) Gross Score - divide by Slope Rating and multiply by 113 to obtain your nett differential.