World Handicap System

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Had a strange one... Played an open, differential was 4.8, knocked off a score in my 8, of 5.8, yet my handicap hasn't changed??
Maybe there was another 5.8 in your last 20 that was not included in the best 8. Just have a look at your last 20. Or your HI is still within the range for a certain course handicap.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Maybe there was another 5.8 in your last 20 that was not included in the best 8. Just have a look at your last 20. Or your HI is still within the range for a certain course handicap.
no ref one of my 8. After mentioning it to one of our pros who played in the rollup yesterday, he said this had happened a couple of times to others on the S G app. Club are going to look at it

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Late afternoon front 9 with Fragger after work.
He says he's putting in a 9 hole card
Why not..might shoot a good one.
The fact that I didn't isn't the query here.
My index of 6.7 gives me 8 shots from both sets of tees.
Why, when I sign in for a 9 hole round, does the system give me 5 shots for the 9 holes?
All logic in the universe would give me 4...:unsure:
Fragger normally gets 28 from the whites and the system gave him 14 for the 9....
Confused.....

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why, when I sign in for a 9 hole round, does the system give me 5 shots for the 9 holes?
Fragger normally gets 28 from the whites and the system gave him 14 for the 9....
Confused.....

Possibly because the slope and CR are different from the 18 hole slope and CR.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Confused.....

Maybe the golfing gods are feeling sorry for you, giving Fragger so many shots.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Confused.....

In addition to what Old Skier has said, Course Rating-Par is used in calculating 9 hole handicaps.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
So the system has the front 9 as being harder than the back 9..fair because it is.
So it seems my 8 shots are split 5:3 if I play just 9....5 on the more difficult front, 3 on the less difficult back..probably fair.
But if I play all 18 those 8 shots get split 4:4

wjemather

Visit site
So the system has the front 9 as being harder than the back 9..fair because it is.
So it seems my 8 shots are split 5:3 if I play just 9....5 on the more difficult front, 3 on the less difficult back..probably fair.
No. 18-hole handicaps cannot be split into front and back nine components to deduce 9-hole handicaps for each.

As Colin states above, 9-hole Course Handicaps are calculated slightly differently to 18-hole Course Handicaps in that they include the difference between Course Rating and Par. This is why it may seem like there is an anomaly.

IanMcC

Visit site
Your course should have a conversion table prominent somewhere. Not just for 18 hole courses, but for 9 hole courses as well. If they haven't, then your M&H Secretary should be informed.
Our front 9 is easier than our back 9. I get 3 shots in a 9 hole comp, but 10 in an 18 hole comp.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
6.1b For a 9-hole Round
A 9-hole Course Handicap is calculated as follows:
Course Handicap = (Handicap Index ÷ 2) x (9-hole Slope Rating ÷ 113) + (9-hole Course Rating – 9-hole par)

Alan Clifford

Visit site
Not a good start to the year, so I am in soft cap territory. But struggling to see how calculation done.

My low index is 2.5. I have new calculated index of 6.2. According to my understanding that should give a new index of 5.85, which would be rounded up to 5.9. However my new index is shown as 5.8.

If I remove the rounding to 1DP of my new index then it is 6.175. So using that in soft cap calculation would give 5.8.

So is that how it works? Or is the 5.85 rounded down to 5.8 rather than up to 5.9?

I found that in order to match the calculations done by England golf, I had to use the newly calculated handicap index UNROUNDED. I'm not sure if this is correct but I don't care - I just want to get the same result!

The next question is that when deciding whether the new index is 3 above the low index, do you use the unrounded or rounded value? I suspect that it won't matter as the soft capped index will be rounded at the end of the calculation

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yesterday’s round was uploaded to WHS but shows no Adj Score and HI remains unchanged even though it would have definitely been changed, this round coming in and a counting one going out. BTW hole detail is uploaded correctly.

I have a knockout match today do I proceed with the HI showing today on WHS or recalculate it myself?2904BF2E-ED74-42BF-901F-5CD24D4AEE3D.jpeg

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yesterday’s round was uploaded to WHS but shows no Adj Score and HI remains unchanged even though it would have definitely been changed, this round coming in and a counting one going out. BTW hole detail is uploaded correctly.

I have a knockout match today do I proceed with the HI showing today on WHS or recalculate it myself?View attachment 37039

If not too late

Whatever is shown on England Golf on the morning of play is the correct H.I.. Self adjustment disappeared with the WHS.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The next question is that when deciding whether the new index is 3 above the low index, do you use the unrounded or rounded value? I suspect that it won't matter as the soft capped index will be rounded at the end of the calculation
Handicap Index is always a decimal value.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Why does it show gross difference on most my scores but on some it doesn’t? Both in highlighted best 8 and others in last 20.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Rounding does not infer an integer.
It is usually accompanied by a reference to the precision. In the WHS this may be to an integer or 1 dec place. Rule 5.1 specifies that His are "rounded to the nearest tenth, with .5 rounded upwards" and 5.2a "Round the result to the nearest tenth"
Your statement "I had to use the newly calculated handicap index UNROUNDED. I'm not sure if this is correct ..." seemed to suggest the HI may be rounded to the integer value and you were not sure which in the situation described.

badgergm

Visit site
I found that in order to match the calculations done by England golf, I had to use the newly calculated handicap index UNROUNDED. I'm not sure if this is correct but I don't care - I just want to get the same result!

England Golf seem happy that not rounding before applying soft cap is correct. I haven’t as yet managed to get any acknowledgment that this is not what the rule says....