World Handicap System

Swango1980

Visit site
As I've pointed out, quitting for valid reasons shouldn't lead to disciplinary procedures. I think I understand how the system works now and I think it's daft, the old system also catered perfectly well for these situations except now there's no clear disincentive for people claiming illness and walking off. In such cases I can't see how any committee thinks it has a right to make or question medical assessments of a player without prejudice, the only thing a committee can do is to post the score.
Yes, and I agree. However, this conversation follows on from the post when you said:

"Except my obligation as a player to “make the best possible score at each hole” is done by not playing"

So, I was just clarifying if a player took THAT stance, then I do not think the Committee could deem this as valid.

bunkerblaster

Visit site
When did this change happen?

Note the difference between General Play scores and Away Competitions. Gemma Hunter England Golf:

Both Inderpendent Golfers and Club members will be able to use the MyEG app to return General Play scores, any scores from competitions must be done via the host venue.

Regards
Gemma

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Note the difference between General Play scores and Away Competitions. Gemma Hunter England Golf:

Both Inderpendent Golfers and Club members will be able to use the MyEG app to return General Play scores, any scores from competitions must be done via the host venue.

Regards
Gemma

You stated "There is a loss of the ability to play handicap rounds at another course unless the home handicapper plays ball and will process your scores"

You have the ability to play a handicap round at another course by pre-registering and entering scores via the MyEG app or returning your scorecard to your Home Club.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
OK - how about this . . . .

Does the World Handicap System apply to a golf competition over less than 18 holes? I know, for HC purposes, we can play 2 x 9 holes and use the 18 holes HC but does the WHC system dictates that it must be used pro rata over whatever number of holes played e.g. if the committee organised a 13 hole competiion does the WHC system dictate that entrants must play off 13/18th of their HC?

Our club does a Tuesday night 14 hole comp. HCP are calculated by the pros and I don't know if it counts towards HCP as I normally work so don't play in it. I'll ask and get back to you about the HCP thing.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our club does a Tuesday night 14 hole comp. HCP are calculated by the pros and I don't know if it counts towards HCP as I normally work so don't play in it. I'll ask and get back to you about the HCP thing.
And the answer is no as qualifying comps are run over 9 or 18 holes. The fact that you are unable to complete the 18 holes is different than having a 14 hole comp.

bunkerblaster

Visit site
You stated "There is a loss of the ability to play handicap rounds at another course unless the home handicapper plays ball and will process your scores"

You have the ability to play a handicap round at another course by pre-registering and entering scores via the MyEG app or returning your scorecard to your Home Club.

The quote from Gemma Hunter seems clear to me. There is no mention of "or returning your scorecard to your home club" and any away day competition of your club needs to be input at the host club, and for that to happen you will need the co-operation of the home club handicapper.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
The quote from Gemma Hunter seems clear to me. There is no mention of "or returning your scorecard to your home club" and any away day competition of your club needs to be input at the host club, and for that to happen you will need the co-operation of the home club handicapper.
It is up to your club what procedures they put in place to allow casual rounds at away clubs.

We allow it by the use of the EG app ( thats what its designed for) as long as pre registration is complete which in our case is, informing our club prior to play and if you are unable to use the app return a completed card back to the club asap.

If this wasn't allowed by EG why would they have designed and paid for an app specifically for this purpose.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

Your original post which I answered made no mention of "away day competitions", merely the "loss of ability to play handicap rounds at another course". Perhaps you mentioned that earlier in the thread but I was talking only about the post I queried.

bunkerblaster

Visit site
Old Skier, I would be grateful if you would clarify. "It is up to your club what procedures they put in place to allow casual rounds at away clubs" Why does my club have to be involved in where I play golf? Its my choice. If I play a pre-recorded round at an away course and use the England golf app where and why is my home club involved? Is it something to do with verification? And if I use the England golf app to input my score is there any verification process or is it done on trust?

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Old Skier, I would be grateful if you would clarify. "It is up to your club what procedures they put in place to allow casual rounds at away clubs" Why does my club have to be involved in where I play golf? Its my choice. If I play a pre-recorded round at an away course and use the England golf app where and why is my home club involved? Is it something to do with verification? And if I use the England golf app to input my score is there any verification process or is it done on trust?
As I understand it you need to be playing with someone else who has the App & can verify your score. If you play at one of the other UK nations then you'll need to use the Pro there to pre-register & in-put your score OR advise your own H/cap Sec & send him your card & who verified your score.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site

You have to pre register the round, how your club HC committee want you to do this is up to your club. Some clubs are happy if you just inform the pro shop at the playing club, some prefer you to inform the home club as well as the playing club, I prefer this option as I (or others) as HC Sec need to insure the next day that the rounds were pre registered and if not scores can be deleted.

Scores submitted via the EG app must be verified and the verification method is built into the app but remember pre registration as well as verification is required.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
I thought the whole premise of the EG app is that clubs don't have to be involved and this article suggests it to me
https://womenandgolf.com/news/club-...eral-play-rounds-with-the-my-england-golf-app
Slightly misleading article, there is no facility to pre register a round using the app although there are geo settings in the app to ensure you are at the ground specified and will not allow you to enter your score for a couple of hours.

At present WHS rules of handicapping state you must pre register a casual round. I suspect in the future there could be changes to this and that will reduce the workload on HC Committee members.

bunkerblaster

Visit site
Old Skier, The article is dated 16th April 2021, have you or any other contributors actually tried to pre register a round at an away course for a casual round using the EG app since then?

DickInShorts

Visit site
The Scottish Golf App appears to be superior to the English version
when you select GP score it warns that the round must be completed and score entered within a certain time and at the end requires name and phone number of your marker - presumably post Covid rules it will require a signature (as competition scoring will).

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Old Skier, The article is dated 16th April 2021, have you or any other contributors actually tried to pre register a round at an away course for a casual round using the EG app since then?

Due to some host clubs being unable to provide score entry facilities via their ISVs due to their covid restrictions, around 160 amateurs in our Winter Alliance fixtures have been using the MyEG app to pre-register and input scores for their rounds

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site

Played Tavistock 27 April, used the app to SUBMIT my round after pre registration with the my club.

Are you implying that your HC committee do not require you to pre register a casual round.

bunkerblaster

Visit site
Due to some host clubs being unable to provide score entry facilities via their ISVs due to their covid restrictions, around 160 amateurs in our Winter Alliance fixtures have been using the MyEG app to pre-register and input scores for their rounds

But an Alliance would be an organised competition between clubs and the handicap secretary of the host club would have input into the scoring system as verification? The Alliance would not be a casual round.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Are you saying that there was no requirement for them to register their intention to play a casual round other than login into their EG app.

Just seen @bunkerblaster post, don't think the Alliances come under affiliated rules when it comes to comps.