World Handicap System (WHS)

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Had a bad round last week. Didn’t knock off any of my best 8 scores. Went up 0.1

Had a bad round this week (consistent). Didn’t knock off any of my best 8 scores. No change to handicap.

Any ideas?

I miss the ‘threat’ of the 0.1 increase. If I’ve had a poor front nine, I can then adjust strategy and fight for buffer. Now, I’ve got little to play for.

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Had a bad round last week. Didn’t knock off any of my best 8 scores. Went up 0.1

Had a bad round this week (consistent). Didn’t knock off any of my best 8 scores. No change to handicap.

Any ideas?

I miss the ‘threat’ of the 0.1 increase. If I’ve had a poor front nine, I can then adjust strategy and fight for buffer. Now, I’ve got little to play for.
Whatever platform you are using should show what scores are counting etc.
For the first bad round you mentioned I suspect a counting round moved outside the last 20, so another started counting.

You (& I) just need to adjust your mindset to scoring the best you can to help the overall record

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

Any ideas?
Just check that they are in fact the same best 8. Calculate the average of the 8. Does that tally with your current Index.
If it doesn't contact whs.support@englandgolf.org

Your target should be the oldest of your best 8.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

Any ideas?

"Soft Cap" in effect?

TigerTime

Visit site

Worse than I expected. I had been going along with the assumption that anything more than double bogeys don't count :cautious:

I'm definitely not a 21.8 handicapper thats for sure. Hopefully my next few cards will lower it a bit.

TigerTime

Visit site
The numbers do not lie.

No of course not. In this instance I just feel it's more a reflection of the cards I've put in rather than my actual ability. I can break 90 fairly regularly. I could go out next medal and shoot a nett 65 or just as easily I could go and shoot a nett 75. Trying to find that on a consistent basis is going to be key for me.

Last edited:

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
No of course not. In this instance I just feel it's more a reflection of the cards I've put in rather than my actual ability. I can break 90 fairly regularly. I could go out next medal and shoot a nett 65 or just as easily I could go and shoot a nett 75. Trying to find that on a consistent basis is going to be key for me.

The good news is that your HI will start to tumble immediately you start submitting scores that are consistently better than your first 3 cards for handicap.

Swango1980

Visit site
The good news is that your HI will start to tumble immediately you start submitting scores that are consistently better than your first 3 cards for handicap.
The other good news is that, if he submits these cards through playing in competitions and believes his handicap is truly a lot higher than it should be, he could well score some crazy good scores and obliterate the field. The benefits of being a new golfer :)

D

Deleted member 15344

Well first scramble today - we had 4 shots , a low HC two mid and one high HC

We went round 12 under plus our HC

Only then to find out that there are multiple groups who have over 13 shots plus with one group getting 18 shots ?

Would like to understand the rationale for changing the HC allowance

Can see a 48 winning

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had the same. However, a 77 was binned off with a 72 yet I still went up 0.2. I thought I had worked out how WHS worked, but until I have the full 20 scores in under the new system I am not going to try working it out anymore. Today’s 74 will replace an 82 so hopefully I shouldn’t go up again.
having looked on the EG site the 77 was on a par 72 course in a county competition. It would seem that the standard scratch for that round went up, hence why it was a "better" score than my 72 off the yellow tees for my casual round which is why I went up 0.2. The sooner you get twenty rounds in under the new system will make things much easier to understand I'm sure.

wjemather

Visit site

Only then to find out that there are multiple groups who have over 13 shots plus with one group getting 18 shots ?

Can see a 48 winning
As with all the changes, the aim is simply to give everyone as even a chance of winning as possible.

I would always recommend trying to achieve a fairly balanced handicap spread across all teams in a scramble, but we have held one under WHS without doing that and it seemed to work perfectly well. The whole field was separated by 10 strokes, and the first three teams were split by just 0.2 - one of those teams was made up of 18+ handicappers, another of low single figure golfers (all under 5), and the other somewhere in the middle.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Can see a 48 winning

Only a 48. I have played in many a scramble where that sort of score would put you in with the also rans

D

Deleted member 15344

As with all the changes, the aim is simply to give everyone as even a chance of winning as possible.

I would always recommend trying to achieve a fairly balanced handicap spread across all teams in a scramble, but we have held one under WHS without doing that and it seemed to work perfectly well. The whole field was separated by 10 strokes, and the first three teams were split by just 0.2 - one of those teams was made up of 18+ handicappers, another of low single figure golfers (all under 5), and the other somewhere in the middle.

We have 2 a year -

Last year - the whole field spread by 8 shots in the first , 8.1 shots the second

The year before one was spread by 6 shots , the other by 9 shots

Three years ago one was spread by 5.2 shots and one by 6.4

Every scramble was won by 6 differently teams

One was 4 cat 1 players , one was four players above 20 HC, the others a mix

The best score was 52.1

So far in this scramble we have 4 high handicaps have got 49 at the moment , the worst score is 64 - 15 shots difference so far.

We will just put in a maximum shot because a team getting 18 shots is ridiculous

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

So you know how it works for future score

https://www.congu.co.uk/whs/

click on the link for rules

its on page 49

tobybarker

Visit site
It seems to me that the old system gauged your potential ability (if it all came good on one day) whereas the new system gauges how average you are.... So now you can win by being just average and getting your 36 or 37 points. That seems wrong to me.