World Handicap System (WHS)

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Why do you say that? Are you referring to casual rounds?

Because in the Android store, when you look at the notes relating to the release version it says...

"PLEASE NOTE: Since this is a pre-release version, scores submitted thru the app are not eligible for handicapping"

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
On Club V1, as handicap sec, I can see who has registered and submitted a General Play Round. Any ideas if the same will be true if players enter scores on MyEG instead albeit I know it is early days.

Now that players can enter scores at will, makes me a bit nervous how many of these scores may need to be subsequently deleted after it has already altered their handicap. Some who pre register a minute before score entry, or issues with physical scorecards (or lack of). I had 2 cards I found yesterday yesterday, with player name and their scores. No marker, no date, no tees marked, no signature. Another card submitted, player name was simply "Mick". Another player who had submitted scores for himself electronically. But, when I saw card, the scores matched his marker scores. He was Player A on the card and actually went round in 15 shots lower.

I think it is going to be impossible to keep on top of this, especially as more and more players submit scores. Might be easier at clubs with permanent staff who can maybe do daily checks. Covid makes things harder with various scorecard restrictions, and asking players to send photos of card. Some do, some don't. Those that do may well forget to submit physical cards, so I know it will become next to impossible to go back check 100% of the time if need be.

I think (but not sure) that the only way to check Casual Rounds submitted direct via the EG App will be on the DB and it shows there doubt it will go to V1 but interested to know if anyone finds different. I cant even get on it today as it keeps coming up with a bad gateway error.

We have good control of cards done at with a sign in book, if I check the book and the rounds haven't been pre registered they get deleted. Those playing away must also inform our reception who will add them to the book, obviously there will be a problem here if it is necessary to check the whole clubs records.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Club V1 (howdidido) allows players to enter a score immediately after registration. So, I think I have had 3 players now who have entered a score a minute after registration. Surprise surprise, all 3 were good scores. I had to delete them, although one player had already played off the lower handicap in a competition before this was identified (albeit, I know that negatively impacts him on this occasion).

But, it is deleting or editing scores for the other reasons that I've mentioned, and I am sure I will come across many more issues with entered scores in the future. It may come to a point, where we just need to let everything go, and only act of other players make a complaint. Or, at least find easy ways of identifying suspicious patterns. Pre WHS and pre Covid it was so much easier, because at least every score had to be verified by someone on Committee before being loaded into their record. I miss those days.

I think I'd be happier if, when a player entered their score on the day, the next day WHS told them what their handicap will be if their score(s) are verified, and what it would be if not. They then must play off the lower handicap. Once the handicap sec verifies scores, then WHS tells them what their Index finally is.

I have just noticed that there is a scores listed by day report on the WHS DB

Swango1980

Visit site
Anyone know how I can change a member on the WHS DB that has Home Club not set in the Record even though his club is showing correct.
Do you mean add the player to your club?

Not sure if this is relevant to you, but I had several guys join from another club. I was able to find them on WHS, but it gave me no options to add them to my club. Instead, after taking a note of their CDH, I had to go to Members - Add New Member and then search for that CDH. I was then able to add that player as a member.

Each time, I also had to add their e-mail address and DOB. I wonder if this is the reason I couldn't simply add them when I found them through the initial search, because I have been able to add other players through the initial search before.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Because in the Android store, when you look at the notes relating to the release version it says...

"PLEASE NOTE: Since this is a pre-release version, scores submitted thru the app are not eligible for handicapping"
There's an update now and the bit about not counting for handicapping has gone ?

D

Deleted member 15344

It seems that the ISVs are having big issues connecting to Dotgolf which is affecting uploads

Been going on for a couple days now

Can sense that IG not very happy and it seems it’s down to Dotgolf not being able to handle the traffic since we returned

Swango1980

Visit site
It seems that the ISVs are having big issues connecting to Dotgolf which is affecting uploads

Been going on for a couple days now

Can sense that IG not very happy and it seems it’s down to Dotgolf not being able to handle the traffic since we returned
Surely not. We were told the tech would make everything straightforward. And not taken seriously when we asked "what if there are ever issues with the tech?"

Personally though, I seem to have been able to process a new members 3 cards for handicap yesterday, and didn't notice any issues the couple of times I logged into Portal today. Maybe just lucky though, and we've had no comps today

D

Deleted member 15344

Surely not. We were told the tech would make everything straightforward. And not taken seriously when we asked "what if there are ever issues with the tech?"

Personally though, I seem to have been able to process a new members 3 cards for handicap yesterday, and didn't notice any issues the couple of times I logged into Portal today. Maybe just lucky though, and we've had no comps today

They were very lucky that lockdown happened when it was implemented because it was a mess for many reasons - they have had a lot of time over the last 4 months to ensure it all works and it’s failing. We have multiple cards not being uploaded.

Swango1980

Visit site
They were very lucky that lockdown happened when it was implemented because it was a mess for many reasons - they have had a lot of time over the last 4 months to ensure it all works and it’s failing. We have multiple cards not being uploaded.
I noticed a few were not being sent from Club V1 to WHS. From memory, I think I went to WHS and saw the player didnt have an email address. I entered it, then I went back to Club V1 and hit resend to CDH, and it seemed to work.

However, that just may have been a fluke, and I still have no confidence in what is going on. I'm basically going to wait until members come to me and express issues they are having with their handicaps, so I can see if there is an issue or not. Because I doubt I'll be able to spot everything, or even most things that may go wrong immediately

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Used the EG app yesterday to log a score whilst playing ‘away’

Pretty easy process. only issue i experienced was the app randomly signed me out completely at one stage. All 3 of my playing partners also had the same issue at pretty much the same point - so have emailed EG to let them know in case of a bug etc.

on the whole though - impressed

MrGrumtastic

Visit site
There's an update now and the bit about not counting for handicapping has gone ?
I've lost the thread a bit now! Have you (or anyone else) managed to get scores submitted through the EG app to count towards your HI then?

I have an away round tomorrow and it would be good if I could use this method to put a score in, rather than the usual IG at home.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've lost the thread a bit now! Have you (or anyone else) managed to get scores submitted through the EG app to count towards your HI then?

I have an away round tomorrow and it would be good if I could use this method to put a score in, rather than the usual IG at home.

yes. Did it yesterday. Its on my handicap record, but wasn’t good enough to be one of my 8 scorers. Probably never will be one of my 8 best scorers...but it is there!

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site

Major issues yesterday which I can only assume was increased traffic with “Gateway“ Errors.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
When a comp results are posted are the cards sent to whs next day? Or that day

WHS requires scores to be transferred on the day of play but that may be difficult if the person responsible is a volunteer and has a large number of cards involved. Using Handicapmaster software, scores are going to WHS very shortly after submission by the player but I think their application is not confirmed until the competition is finalised, which may not be on the day.