World Handicap System (WHS)

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It will (almost certainly) be 1 of his best 8 scores, presuming he has 20 in the book. What it does, depends entirely on what his next 7 are. My understanding of golfers is that while he will (almost certainly) get some form of cut, there will be a fairly vocal few who have decided the cut is wrong and he should have been cut to 8.
There will be an ESR to consider as well which reduces all his differentials by 2.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
We had the same happen. A new 24 H/capper wins with a Nett 57.... next time out is off 7....... CONGU would have been saying that you can't do anything based on 1 card.

Dave, I would be asking some very probing questions - though you probably have - to your man and to Billy's man as well.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How could a net 57 not cause a 0.4 reduction for every shot under CSS?
Oh yes, he'd get that but nothing more, based on one card under CONGU.
Jim, he submitted 3 cards for H/cap of 24 last Oct but only was able to play in one Comp that gave him a 0.1 no other evidence.

Swango1980

Visit site
Have you tried, is that a fact.
On Club V1, as handicap sec, I can see who has registered and submitted a General Play Round. Any ideas if the same will be true if players enter scores on MyEG instead albeit I know it is early days.

Now that players can enter scores at will, makes me a bit nervous how many of these scores may need to be subsequently deleted after it has already altered their handicap. Some who pre register a minute before score entry, or issues with physical scorecards (or lack of). I had 2 cards I found yesterday yesterday, with player name and their scores. No marker, no date, no tees marked, no signature. Another card submitted, player name was simply "Mick". Another player who had submitted scores for himself electronically. But, when I saw card, the scores matched his marker scores. He was Player A on the card and actually went round in 15 shots lower.

I think it is going to be impossible to keep on top of this, especially as more and more players submit scores. Might be easier at clubs with permanent staff who can maybe do daily checks. Covid makes things harder with various scorecard restrictions, and asking players to send photos of card. Some do, some don't. Those that do may well forget to submit physical cards, so I know it will become next to impossible to go back check 100% of the time if need be.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
On Club V1, as handicap sec, I can see who has registered and submitted a General Play Round. Any ideas if the same will be true if players enter scores on MyEG instead albeit I know it is early days.

Now that players can enter scores at will, makes me a bit nervous how many of these scores may need to be subsequently deleted after it has already altered their handicap. Some who pre register a minute before score entry, or issues with physical scorecards (or lack of). I had 2 cards I found yesterday yesterday, with player name and their scores. No marker, no date, no tees marked, no signature. Another card submitted, player name was simply "Mick". Another player who had submitted scores for himself electronically. But, when I saw card, the scores matched his marker scores. He was Player A on the card and actually went round in 15 shots lower.

I think it is going to be impossible to keep on top of this, especially as more and more players submit scores. Might be easier at clubs with permanent staff who can maybe do daily checks. Covid makes things harder with various scorecard restrictions, and asking players to send photos of card. Some do, some don't. Those that do may well forget to submit physical cards, so I know it will become next to impossible to go back check 100% of the time if need be.

I think this is what we all saw coming, its going to need alot more policing than was advertised. Youve got my respect for at least trying!! Many wont!

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site

Within HandicapMaster you can see reports of who has submitted general play rounds, within the DotGolf system you can also see reports of which players currently have "unfulfilled intents" to submit a score...i.e. they've registered but not entered a score yet. Would be surprised if Club V1 doesn't offer the same facility.

Why would scores need to be deleted?

The EG app (and other ISV based apps that I am aware of) does not let you enter a score immediately after pre-registration (you can enter the scores on a hole by hole basis....but you cannot submit the scores for at least a couple of hours).

Other than that...your fears are well founded...its something that our handicap sec (and myself) have been banging on about for months now. It seem like the higher golfing authorities are prepared to accept a little less "integrity in the system itself" for the perceived benefit that giving players the flexibility to submit scores, as and when they want, from outside competitions, will attract more players to the game.

Last edited:

Swango1980

Visit site
Within HandicapMaster you can see reports of who has submitted general play rounds, within the DotGolf system you can alos see reports of which players currently have "unfulfilled intents" to submit a score...i.e. they've registered but not entered a score yet. Would be surprised if Club V1 dont offer the same facility.

Why would scores need to be deleted?

The EG app (and other ISV based apps that I am aware of) does not let you enter a score immediately after pre-registration (you can enter the scores on a hole by hole basis....but you cannot submit the scores for at least a couple of hours).

Other than that...your fears are well founded...its something that our handicap sec (and myself) have been banging on about for months now. It seem like the higher golfing authorities are prepared to accept a little less "integrity in the system itself" for the perceived benefit that giving players the flexibility to submit scores, as and when they want, from outside competitions, will attract more players to the game.
Club V1 (howdidido) allows players to enter a score immediately after registration. So, I think I have had 3 players now who have entered a score a minute after registration. Surprise surprise, all 3 were good scores. I had to delete them, although one player had already played off the lower handicap in a competition before this was identified (albeit, I know that negatively impacts him on this occasion).

But, it is deleting or editing scores for the other reasons that I've mentioned, and I am sure I will come across many more issues with entered scores in the future. It may come to a point, where we just need to let everything go, and only act of other players make a complaint. Or, at least find easy ways of identifying suspicious patterns. Pre WHS and pre Covid it was so much easier, because at least every score had to be verified by someone on Committee before being loaded into their record. I miss those days.

I think I'd be happier if, when a player entered their score on the day, the next day WHS told them what their handicap will be if their score(s) are verified, and what it would be if not. They then must play off the lower handicap. Once the handicap sec verifies scores, then WHS tells them what their Index finally is.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Regarding the last comment....if you enter a score on the DotGolf website it actually tells you what the change to a players index is going to be....I understand that players don't have access to the DotGolf site but its certainly an indication that what you propose is feasible.