World Handicap System (WHS)

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
The two outcomes of the WHS is that I know my CHD by heart now, and that I have seen pictures of every single fire hydrant in the world.
We only got asked in the middle of last week to give permission to share email and dob and therefore I don’t know yet if my index is right, or why it is so low. Not that I dislike having it that low, it’s where I think I should be aiming at.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The two outcomes of the WHS is that I know my CHD by heart now, and that I have seen pictures of every single fire hydrant in the world.
We only got asked in the middle of last week to give permission to share email and dob and therefore I don’t know yet if my index is right, or why it is so low. Not that I dislike having it that low, it’s where I think I should be aiming at.
I hope you know your CDHID also ;)

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My Congu handicap was 12.7 and last week my indicative index was 13.7 and following the weekends adjustment I now have 10.7 as an index - giving 13 at Enville , 12 at Wharton Park and 11 on Harris. That all sounds remarkably sensible - given all the problems noted here, I feel very lucky.

Last edited:

Griffsters

Hacker
Visit site
Well, my Index is more than I worked out. I had me being between 13.1 / 13.3 depending on if CSS was used but I've got 14.0. A bit disappointed really, it means effectively I've gone up as I'll receive 2 more shots on my home course.

Strangely, the tees and course ratings are still wrong and if I search my name at the bottom of the page it comes back as 14.9 - like on HDiD :rolleyes: I'm still hoping there might be another refresh of data and it goes to what I'm expecting/hoping but not looking likely now.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Checked mine this morning.

We still have a problem over course names wrong Course and Slope Rating and hence wrong index at least the next time I play in comp one score affected (shown as 2 better than actual) falls on the the 20 and best 8.

IG still not connecting to the WHS.

Visit site
The BBC has an article on their website entitled "Amateur players face seismic change as new handicap system introduced in Britain".
There are about 550 comments to the article which is not exactly full of praise for the new system.
I haven't read all of the comments, but at a rough guess I would say that the majority are pouring scorn on the new system.
"Far too complicated" seems to be a a fairly common theme. And that is exactly my sentiment.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The BBC has an article on their website entitled "Amateur players face seismic change as new handicap system introduced in Britain".
There are about 550 comments to the article which is not exactly full of praise for the new system.
I haven't read all of the comments, but at a rough guess I would say that the majority are pouring scorn on the new system.
"Far too complicated" seems to be a a fairly common theme. And that is exactly my sentiment.
In my view the new system is only complicated if you want to understand every dot and squiggle of the workings of it.

If I accept my HI as I find it, and wherever I play I check the table for my CH - then that's it. As simple as that. I then play whatever format of golf I am there for with shot allowance no more complicated than the current variations.

Where it could become 'complicated' would be if I wanted to start to try and work out prior to, or during, every round what I must score to reduce (or increase) my handicap index. But I take that as a benefit of the new system. It is not so easy for me to 'manipulate' my handicap by working out before a round what I want to score to achieve my objective.

Different perhaps for handicap secs/committees but for the mere member/golfer - dead easy to adopt. I don't get the problems that folks are seeing.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Interesting that nobody from the CONGU area has actually used it yet.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I've got tomorrow off to get a final game in before lockdown and there is a midweek stableford on. Forecast is lovely so it will be my first card under WHS. Let the fun begin.........

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
I normally like the detail of the information but I really think it'll be a case of letting it bed in and seeing how it in works in practice over a period of time rather need to know & understand everything now. My HI hasn't changed (0.1) but I can see that a lot of my scores aren't on the Golf Ireland system (eg, I played 5 qualifiers in September, only 2 on the system, both used as a 'best 8; similar story for August and July'.) What does this mean? I've no idea, but we were told at the weekend that it would really be Wednesday before we could take our new handicap as a 'given'.

sunshine

Visit site
I really like the concept of the WHS, the idea of introducing comparability of handicaps across different courses is great, but was always going to involve complicated formulae as there are so many variables.

I'm fine with the difficult maths, we live in a world where most people have apps at their fingertips so it will become user friendly and second nature by next summer.

However, I'm struggling with the execution of slope rating. I had a look at a bunch of courses around me and they all had a SI of 128-130, so golfers are typically going to receive the same number of shots across the courses. But there is a huge gap in difficulty across these courses - some of them I would say 4-5 shots for a bogey golfer. Just feels like the CR and BR ratings haven't been done properly.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
My HI is wrong, of that I am 100% certain, however at the moment I'm not sure how wrong it is...

After all these discussions, is there definitive advice now on how the Score Differential should have been calculated for all our pre-2nd Nov scores, ie against CR or CSS do we know? My CR is 71.5, CSS has been 72 mainly and once 73 (when I shot 70) so it makes a big difference.

Thanks in advance...

The calculations I see on the WHS portal for my scores clearly demonstrate that Course Rating has been used, taking into account any adjustments for CSS

Scott W

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Mine is still wrong (my club uses Intelligent Golf) - I know what it should be as a simple spreadsheet can do the calc if you know the rules - absolute pony - about to go play so no idea what h'cap I should be LOL

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I really like the concept of the WHS, the idea of introducing comparability of handicaps across different courses is great, but was always going to involve complicated formulae as there are so many variables.

I'm fine with the difficult maths, we live in a world where most people have apps at their fingertips so it will become user friendly and second nature by next summer.

However, I'm struggling with the execution of slope rating. I had a look at a bunch of courses around me and they all had a SI of 128-130, so golfers are typically going to receive the same number of shots across the courses. But there is a huge gap in difficulty across these courses - some of them I would say 4-5 shots for a bogey golfer. Just feels like the CR and BR ratings haven't been done properly.
Are the CRs all the same for them then?

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
FFS.
We use IG. They have said they are waiting on England Golf / Dot Golf to ‘release‘ the indices.
As such, IG isn’t showing my index.
But My Account with England Golf is - and as far as I can see it is correct.

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My HI is wrong, of that I am 100% certain, however at the moment I'm not sure how wrong it is...

After all these discussions, is there definitive advice now on how the Score Differential should have been calculated for all our pre-2nd Nov scores, ie against CR or CSS do we know? My CR is 71.5, CSS has been 72 mainly and once 73 (when I shot 70) so it makes a big difference.

Thanks in advance...
I'm in Scotland, so whether that makes a difference or not I don't know. My differentials before being "de-sloped" are listed as 3, 2, 5, 7, 6, 6, 3, 3. Course rating is 70.8, so that can't have been used to create the differential.
After de-sloping, the differentials are 2.6, 1.7, 4.3, 6.1, 5.2, 5.2, 2.6, 2.6, which averages 3.8 and that's the Index I've been given.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

Thanks in advance...

On England Golf, my WHS has been worked out vs CR, and for each score, an adjusted gross is calculated (probably not an issue for you, not too many large scores), a PCC (CSS correction, none of my 8 counting scores has one applying), leading to a score differential. This is, if you like, a desloped differential. Then the index is formed of the average of the best 8 of 20.

If you have the scoring record for your last 20 available, post a screenshot or spreadsheet and someone here (including me, but others are more expert) will have a go at estimating the WHS. Mention the slope for courses included too.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
All replies noted thanks,

Score - CR - CSS - All Slope 128:

69 - 71.5 - 72
69 - 71.5 - 72
70 - 71.5 - 73
71 - 71.5 - 72
72 - 72 - 72
72 - 71.5 - 72
73 - 71.5 - 72.

Nice shooting.

That is just 7 scores, but the diffs are -2.5, -2.5, -1.5, -0.5, 0, 0.5, 1.5, total -5, average over 7 of -0.71, desloped at 113/128 to -0.63, i.e a +0.6 HI, then add slope back in for a course handicap of +1.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

Thanks in advance...
The original run erroneously used SSS. Since that was reported it is now using CSS. The difference (+ or -) between CSS and SSS shows as PCC.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm in Scotland, so whether that makes a difference or not I don't know.
It may well do. Scotland is using different software to convert their CDH data to WHS.
England, Wales and Ireland are using DotGolf. I believe Scotland have commissioned/written their own conversion.