World Handicap System Question

Dharry

Visit site
Hi, if anyone could answer a question that I have about the world handicap system, I would really appreciate it. If I play a 4 ball competition(I am aware that a playing in a 4 ball competition won’t effect my handicap) and I were then to play in a singles competition later in the same day, will my score in the singles competition count as a counting score in the 20 scores that determine my handicap or will it not count as I have already played a 4 ball competition that day?
Thanks

IanMcC

Visit site
You would be ineligible to play in the singles comp later in the day, as you would have been deemed under rule 5.2b to have previously practised on the course that day.
If the 4 ball was a match play event, and if the rounds had been reversed, then that is the only way that both rounds would have been valid.

Dharry

Visit site
You would be ineligible to play in the singles comp later in the day, as you would have been deemed under rule 5.2b to have previously practised on the course that day.
If the 4 ball was a match play event, and if the rounds had been reversed, then that is the only way that both rounds would have been valid.

Thanks for the reply. Sorry, I should have also mentioned the following. The 4 ball competition that I would play in the morning is on a different course to the course that I would be playing the singles competition later in the day. Would the fact that the competitions are on different courses make me eligible?
Cheers

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. Sorry, I should have also mentioned the following. The 4 ball competition that I would play in the morning is on a different course to the course that I would be playing the singles competition later in the day. Would the fact that the competitions are on different courses make me eligible?
Cheers
Note that the Rule (5.2) refers to “Practising on the course ” not just any course.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Even if the singles competition were on the same course, would the score not count for as a counting score for handicap, but separately disqualification from the competition ?

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Even if the singles competition were on the same course, would the score not count for as a counting score for handicap, but separately disqualification from the competition ?

No. A DQ for practising on the course before a round renders your score unacceptable. [Appendix J, CONGU Advice on the WHS]

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
No. A DQ for practising on the course before a round renders your score unacceptable. [Appendix J, CONGU Advice on the WHS]

Sounds bizarre.
What's the difference between that and a 36 hole in one day competition?
Is the second round in that not valid for handicap either?

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Both rounds in the 36 hole competition are acceptable for handicapping.

A difference is that everyone will be playing both rounds in the single competition whereas it can't be assumed that everyone has the opportunity to practise before a single round competition. Similar to the difference between stroke play and match play.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sounds bizarre.
What's the difference between that and a 36 hole in one day competition?
Is the second round in that not valid for handicap either?

Effectively in a 36 hole competition the committee is authorising practice on the course before the second round.

The club are permitted to allow it for play between two competitions on the same day and the score for the second is acceptable.

Skytot

Visit site
My mate has a P next to one of his rounds on EGgolf dashboard. Anyone know what it means ? None of my other mates have one

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site

Both rounds in the 36 hole competition are acceptable for handicapping.

A difference is that everyone will be playing both rounds in the single competition whereas it can't be assumed that everyone has the opportunity to practise before a single round competition. Similar to the difference between stroke play and match play.

The question wasn't about a competition though, see above, it was about score counting for handicap, where there wouldn't be a competition field to be adversely affected.

This is like saying that you can't play a few holes on a course for a warm up and then go out and play a round for a general play score, which I can't remember ever hearing wasn't allowed.
But then I don't tend to submit general play scores so maybe I've just missed it, please confirm.

wjemather

Visit site
My mate has a P next to one of his rounds on EGgolf dashboard. Anyone know what it means ? None of my other mates have one
It's a Penalty Score - at some point he's registered to submit a score and not done so, or a score has not been attested via the MyEG app.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
The question wasn't about a competition though, see above, it was about score counting for handicap, where there wouldn't be a competition field to be adversely affected.

in case I have misunderstood, let me clarify. If you play on the same course and on the same day before a stroke play competition you are disqualified from the competition and your score does not count for handicapping. If you played a full round before the competition and met the requirements of a general play score, your score would be acceptable.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
The question wasn't about a competition? ?

The way I read the sentence, the key element of the question is the bit in bold, the competition element is setting the scene. :)
But you've answered it now in post #18, cheers, still seems odd though.

Can you clarify the earlier query about playing a few holes to warm up and then playing a full 18 on the same day as a general play score, is this acceptable for handicapping?

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
@Colin L
I've found it now, but it's not something that's not easy to find and I'd bet that very few people putting in General Play scores are aware of it.
I guess it's a scenario that rarely crops up in reality though.

1658665348722.png