World Handicap System - FAQ’s

• Thread starter Deleted member 16999
  • Start date

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
They would need those extra shots on a tough course. There are 3 par 4s at my place that would be a par 5 to most high handicappers off the back tees. But they are still par 4s to most low handicappers.

Indeed - the shot average for the last 5 holes on my course is exactly 250. One par 3, one par 5 and 3 par 4s totalling 2500 yds between them from the back.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Indeed - the shot average for the last 5 holes on my course is exactly 250. One par 3, one par 5 and 3 par 4s totalling 2500 yds between them from the back.

Opening hole at my place is 430 yards. You have to hit into an upslope off the tee if your not carrying it 260 yards so you lose some distance. Then faced with a small green with water in front and oob right. So even if you get it out there 250, your still faced with an approach needing you to carry it in excess of 180 yards. So for most high handicappers they have to play it as a par 5. That's why if those tees the indexing gives the higher handicapper 3 shots compared to my 1.

Mike07

Head Pro
Visit site
I had a really interesting experience yesterday in a club knockout match with an American guy who has been a member at the club for 3 years.

When he first joined, he submitted 3 cards and was given a playing handicap of 10... roll on 3 years and he’s played 3 or 4 Q comps a year partly to keep the handicap active and partly because he prefers to play with friends and the weekly swindle... his handicap hasn’t changed much and now sits at 10.6 as he hasn’t played amazingly in the comps.

However...

He is still a member back in the US and therefore submits the score of every round he plays, as per the American system and his US handicap is 6.8..! A huge difference but it reflects is current form and playing ability based on the last 20 rounds.

The handicaps for our match was irrelevant as it was off scratch... but we talked about the different systems at length...

Personally I’m looking forward to the new system and I hope most golfers choose to submit more non completion and social rounds for handicap purposes... roll up and swindle rounds in my view in a perfect example of where the cards should be submitted...

On another note... the new system will enable a handicap to reduced (very slightly) even when we shoot outside the current systems buffer zone, meaning every shot counts and we still have a reason to play well when we are 3or4 over our handicap...

D

Deleted member 15344

I had a really interesting experience yesterday in a club knockout match with an American guy who has been a member at the club for 3 years.

When he first joined, he submitted 3 cards and was given a playing handicap of 10... roll on 3 years and he’s played 3 or 4 Q comps a year partly to keep the handicap active and partly because he prefers to play with friends and the weekly swindle... his handicap hasn’t changed much and now sits at 10.6 as he hasn’t played amazingly in the comps.

However...

He is still a member back in the US and therefore submits the score of every round he plays, as per the American system and his US handicap is 6.8..! A huge difference but it reflects is current form and playing ability based on the last 20 rounds.

The handicaps for our match was irrelevant as it was off scratch... but we talked about the different systems at length...

Personally I’m looking forward to the new system and I hope most golfers choose to submit more non completion and social rounds for handicap purposes... roll up and swindle rounds in my view in a perfect example of where the cards should be submitted...

On another note... the new system will enable a handicap to reduced (very slightly) even when we shoot outside the current systems buffer zone, meaning every shot counts and we still have a reason to play well when we are 3or4 over our handicap...

Most roll ups and swindles are played with gimmies so cant be used and I suspect most wont put in social scores because they just want to enjoy the game without having to think about any HV stuff

Mike07

Head Pro
Visit site
Most roll ups and swindles are played with gimmies so cant be used and I suspect most wont put in social scores because they just want to enjoy the game without having to think about any HV stuff

Not always... some of our Wednesday roll up play in the mid week comp so will putt out.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not always... some of our Wednesday roll up play in the mid week comp so will putt out.

So they are already Q cards....

The key point is that you can currently submit a supplemental rounds in exactly the same way as you will be able to in the future; this aspect is a complete no change one.(with the possible exception of lower handicaps)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah, I'll never hand in a social round. We use gimmes, drops when you lose your ball etc. It's just a fun round and I'd rather not be thinking about my score that much or my handicap.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

However...

judging by the American golfers i've see playing my club, the handicaps are way lower at home than they would be if they played here

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My 'problem' with using swindle rounds for handicap purposes is that we always play off the yellows.

I KNOW SSS ETC ETC but there is a difference, notable on the par 3s which are not affected by the SSS and big differences on 2 par 5s and 2 par 4s.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
My problem with using swindle cards for handicapping is the time it would add to the round. Yes, it should not add much, but in practice, it just would. In medal, no one just walks up and taps in these 'gimmies'. They mark, wait, replace, align, stalk out, etc, and then stick in a nervy poke, and have to do it all again.
Every Saturday and Sunday? No thanks.

chris3081

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think the new system will be good, swindles should be included as the more rounds studied the closer the handicap would be. The one thing people are bringing up is gimme's.

I saw a vlog in Thailand where they drew a circle around each hole if your putt touches the line it then counts a gimme. This removes all questions marks of "is that good enough" or "is this a gimme".

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

Agree with this. And tbh the last thing we want surely is for a club to be encouraging their members to hole out when playing roll-ups and other friendly rounds - do we want our four balls to be out there for 5 hours every time we play?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
jim8flog;1875047 I KNOW SSS ETC ETC but there is a difference said:
Perhaps not on your course but if a par 3 is not reachable by a higher handicapper (ie over 200 yards) it can make a difference

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Agree with this. And tbh the last thing we want surely is for a club to be encouraging their members to hole out when playing roll-ups and other friendly rounds - do we want our four balls to be out there for 5 hours every time we play?
Interesting. My club has 4 major swindle groups. By common consent, they all require players to hole out if their score is to count. Apart from one notorious group, we have no pop issues.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Interesting. My club has 4 major swindle groups. By common consent, they all require players to hole out if their score is to count. Apart from one notorious group, we have no pop issues.

Our main Saturday one doesn't. It's friendly - a bit of fun - and we aim to get round in under 4hours. Four players holing out will make that very difficult to achieve. And if we spill over towards the 4 and half hours to 5 hours by having all hole out, then the midday roll-up - which might not require holing - out will run up behind us and there would be an almighty mess.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Our main Saturday one doesn't. It's friendly - a bit of fun - and we aim to get round in under 4hours. Four players holing out will make that very difficult to achieve. And if we spill over towards the 4 and half hours to 5 hours by having all hole out, then the midday roll-up - which might not require holing - out will run up behind us and there would be an almighty mess.

An extra half hour for a 4-ball to hole out! Them's mighty generous gimmies ;)

D

Deleted member 16999

What distance are you giving gimmee’s from if you reckon it would add an hour to the round!