World Handicap System - FAQ’s

• Thread starter Deleted member 16999
  • Start date

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our main Saturday one doesn't. It's friendly - a bit of fun - and we aim to get round in under 4hours. Four players holing out will make that very difficult to achieve. And if we spill over towards the 4 and half hours to 5 hours by having all hole out, then the midday roll-up - which might not require holing - out will run up behind us and there would be an almighty mess.
If all 4 players take the max pace of play allowance of 40 seconds for the 'gimme', this would add 48 minutes to the round.
Do your groups really take 40 seconds for these 'gimmies' and all 4 players on every hole? Two players playing 10 second gimmies on every hole takes 6 minutes total.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
If all 4 players take the max pace of play allowance of 40 seconds for the 'gimme', this would add 48 minutes to the round.
Do your groups really take 40 seconds for these 'gimmies' and all 4 players on every hole? Two players playing 10 second gimmies on every hole takes 6 minutes total.

Reality will be somewhere in the middle. With a 4 ball there's a lot more likelihood of at least 1 player marking, and obviously replacing etc , what might otherwise be reasonably given, to avoid standing on a line etc (not debating whether they should or shouldnt!)

If I was to guess the impact I would probably go for about 15 mins time difference for a 4 ball.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Another positive I can see which hasn't been mentioned is that one or two very good bandit scores won't/can't influence CSS.

Just need to get into the "swing" of it and hopefully my understanding will improve as I play.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Another positive I can see which hasn't been mentioned is that one or two very good bandit scores won't/can't influence CSS.
Unless I've misunderstood the process, bandit scores don't affect CSS anyway. It is based on the percentage of players who achieve buffer or better - doesn't matter how much better.

Wolf

Visit site
Been doing a lot of reading on this trying to work it out as I'm just returning to handicap golf and seems to me that it will be a better simpler way to work it all out.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Unless I've misunderstood the process, bandit scores don't affect CSS anyway. It is based on the percentage of players who achieve buffer or better - doesn't matter how much better.

Depends on the size of the field. At Mach Dunes it can easily effect the CSS.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Depends on the size of the field. At Mach Dunes it can easily effect the CSS.
Either you are reading clive's post differently from the way he wrote it, or you still have a mis conception.
It doesn't matter how excessive returned scores are, only whether they are in buffer or better, or not - completely binary.
For example, a 22 handicap golfer playing a par 72 SSS 72 course can return 33, 43 or 53 points in a stableford competition and the impact on the CSS calculation will be exactly the same for each.
However, if the field is less than 10 and the small field calculation routine is being used, things will change completely!

HamiltonGuy

Visit site
I’m a bit confused when does this actually come into play? Will your club have to provide the slope rating or is there a way of finding this out?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’m a bit confused when does this actually come into play? Will your club have to provide the slope rating or is there a way of finding this out?
Rating hasn't been completed, but once the system is fully in play it will be listed in the same way as SSS is currently. Equally all the calculations will be done for you.
Implementation is scheduled for 2020 - exact date isn't fixed yet as the ratings need resolving, some software needs finalising etc
Club representatives have already attended initial meetings.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Further to Duncan's reply.
In addition to the Course Rating (CR) replacing the SSS, the Slope will be published and tables/software will automatically convert your Handicap Index to the handicap you will use for the round on that course from those particular tees (ie Course Handicap). ie it will do the slope effect calculation for you.

Although in theory the system will come into force in 2020, it is probable that different parts of the world will start sooner than others. This is partially due to playing seasons and because some national principles are already in force already and some have to make major changes to the calculations behind the scenes. eg the formula for converting CONGU or EGA handicaps for players with less than 20 scores is still being worked on. The distinction between 'tournament' and casual rounds in the US possibly has to be back calculated.

GB&I is predicted for last quarter of 2020.