World Golf Tour

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The BBC have also run the story. I don't see it as being in the interests of the European Tour or players. I think it was Eddie Peperell who was quoted as saying that golf currently allows around 300 players worldwide to make a decent living. If the tours merged then the top players would likely make more but the bottom of the pyramid would be far narrower. Not healthy. I hope it doesn't happen.

D

Deleted member 15344

The BBC have also run the story. I don't see it as being in the interests of the European Tour or players. I think it was Eddie Peperell who was quoted as saying that golf currently allows around 300 players worldwide to make a decent living. If the tours merged then the top players would likely make more but the bottom of the pyramid would be far narrower. Not healthy. I hope it doesn't happen.

It’s not about merging the two tours - it’s creating a totally new tour with events all over the world.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It’s not about merging the two tours - it’s creating a totally new tour with events all over the world.

Which is, effectively, creaming the best players from all tours...leaving the other tours where..? And the lower ranked players on those tours...?
It's much the same as merging ....

D

Deleted member 15344

Which is, effectively, creaming the best players from all tours...leaving the other tours where..? And the lower ranked players on those tours...?
It's much the same as merging ....

It could potentially give more spots open - but it’s not going to have a massive affect on the European Tour because most of the top players don’t really play on the ET much anyway - it would though affect the PGA tour - right now that’s where the money and ranking points are hence the imbalances between the two tours. The ET could be very clever and join forces with a proposed branching out ( they already have events all over the world ) and use the money being given to a World Tour to entice the top Europeans/Australians etc to play on that tour instead of the PGA.

It’s not going to be long before the ET goes the same way as the LET - the guy with the glasses is trying all sorts of funky ideas but it’s not attracting the players because ultimately they follow the money and the ranking points and we all know they are sat over the pond on the PGA - something to come along to break that mould is good imo

D

Deleted member 18588

If you take the time to read the article you will see that OWGR points aren't likely to be on offer at these events.

As most players endorsement contracts are heavily dependent upon Majors and World Ranking this Tour could struggle to get sufficient support from the top players.

D

Deleted member 15344

If you take the time to read the article you will see that OWGR points aren't likely to be on offer at these events.

As most players endorsement contracts are heavily dependent upon Majors and World Ranking this Tour could struggle to get sufficient support from the top players.

I did read the article Hence why I believe the ET should approach them and look for a partnership - the Ranking points on offer ultimately are held by the players at the event , if they can entice enough of the top players to take part in the events and they get sanction alongside the ET then they take away the power from the PGA - it’s going to take a lot of money to start it off but if someone is really serious about it and has the backing then it could become a game changer. The sport is far too much balanced towards the US , far too much power there especially in the Pro Game and if they can find a way to re dress that for me it’s a good step forward

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
USPGA is worried about the potential revenue the European Tour is currently making and what it potentially can earn by endorsing more far east tournaments. Basically they want a bigger slice of "pie".

D

Deleted member 18588

To even contemplate the ET competing at the same level as the PGA is, I am afraid, fanciful.

The players, sponsors, crowds and TV money are so vastly different.

Great idea and hopefully it might make some consider some changes to benefit the game in other parts of the world but the power of the PGA Tour will see it going the same way as Norman's plan in the 90's.