DP World Tour Feeder Tour ?

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15344

It’s prob fair to say that since the mid 00’s and maybe earlier players from the ET have looked to move across to the PGAT

Reasons - money , entry into majors , ranking points

So is there anyway the DP Tour ( hate that name ) can try and find a way to Buck the trend ? Or has the ship sailed

Should they as a tour look at ways to enhance being a global tour

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
For sometime now the ET has been a feeder tour to the PGAT, these new arrangments merely formalise it, whether that is good for the ET I am not sure but guess time will tell.

I think its the way of the world Phil I am afraid. Its always been my view that without proper regulation one business in any given sector will eventually dominate in a capitalist world. The US market is currently the largest by someway when it comes to golf, so businesses and players gravitate there. Someday perhaps the Asian Market may offer some better competition than Europe are able to, but don't see that in my lifetime.

I would love to see a proper official world tour, I am just struggling to see how it can happen. You've just got to look at Liv to see where they are holding most of their tournaments, even though they are using money donated from an Asian Government. Their event in Austalia looked their most successful so far by someway, but I would be very much surprised if their commercials stacked up.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
As said, the top golfers have followed the money and opportunities for some time. Europe and USA may have similar GDP but historically interest (& cash/sponsorship) has been higher in the US, and then a certain Eldrick Woods turned up in the USA. So feels like the ship has sailed.
The formalising of the top players receiving PGAT cards perhaps in reality makes little difference, but seemed significant to many of Joe public, and that perception inevitably leads to the feeder tour tag.
In reality the DPWT has a distinct split, the handful of high end events that many of the regulars can't play in, and the majority of other events which are closer to KFT level. If the changes hadn't happened last year I suspect Jay & co were looking to position the KFT ahead of the DPWT.
It is still a good tour but it is hard to see much changing. And they'll need to keep their wits about them as the PGAT chops & changes it's plans with designated events etc.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not looked at it in years
I thought there was only a few ways to get on the PGA Tour
Position on the Korn Ferry tour.
Win or do really well in a co sanctioned major.
Get invites and earn enough money to be high enough in the Fed Ex rankings.

I presume from others that some on the DPWT now get automatic status.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The best for fans is that it remain a feeder tour. The number one feeder tour to the PGAT. The best for fans is to have a premier division, that has all the cream. That provides the highest quality entertainment, and the PGAT is it. Thats why LIV threatened to be bad news, but its failure has meant that risk has abated. We dont want another tour trying to be in any way a rival, but a strong second division is interesting.

No more than we would want for example a breakaway Premiership with half the teams splitting off to a different league in parallel to the existing one which would have some Championship teams fill the gaps of the loss of Arsenal, Spurs, and Chelsea for example, while ManU, Liverpool and Man City compete for a devalued premiership. This effect is the reason LIV is pointless and the world doesnt want it. But we want a second division. And a third etc, and pathways between them for players to reach the top tier. The DP role in the world is to secure and improve its offering as the Championship of world golf.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I'd love to hear a rational reasoning as to how these guys, who have been integral to The Ryder Cup, and to a lesser extent (maybe) the European Tour is a good move for both those parties?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I'd love to hear a rational reasoning as to how these guys, who have been integral to The Ryder Cup, and to a lesser extent (maybe) the European Tour is a good move for both those parties?

Is anyone saying its a 'good move' though

I'd describe it as a disspointing consequence and I'd be quite surprised to hear anyone in either camp say its a good move

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Well, the players are now free to spend more time with their families or ‘growing the game’ in Asia and the Middle East.

The ET now don’t need to worry about players that have left the tour at every opportunity when it suited them.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Well, the players are now free to spend more time with their families or ‘growing the game’ in Asia and the Middle East.

The ET now don’t need to worry about players that have left the tour at every opportunity when it suited them.

I said 'rational'...

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Its not a move by the RC or the DP. The move was by the players.

Newnsy

Visit site
This is going to be controversial, but I think that the DP world Tour missed a trick when they aligned themselves with the PGA Tour and Not LIV.

If they had it would have improved the fields of Tour events meaning more World ranking points more sponsors more fans and more money for the tour. More money means bigger events which means you attract the top players from the PGA and the DP World Tour becomes a viable alternative to the PGA tour.

I am not saying I am pro LIV Golf just that it would have been a better business decision.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
What I think is a shame is that the Ryder Cup is not Europe v USA but is DP World Tour v PGA Tour.

The hosts of the bunkered podcast have been on twitter discussing it this week and in its first 48 years or something it was exactly that - then it all changed.

I don't think any of the LIV guys make the players group anymore but we're weak on Captains for a while now. Not that all of them would be great Captains.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is going to be controversial, but I think that the DP world Tour missed a trick when they aligned themselves with the PGA Tour and Not LIV.

If they had it would have improved the fields of Tour events meaning more World ranking points more sponsors more fans and more money for the tour. More money means bigger events which means you attract the top players from the PGA and the DP World Tour becomes a viable alternative to the PGA tour.

I am not saying I am pro LIV Golf just that it would have been a better business decision.

I actually sort of agree with that. I would have liked to have seen the DP world tour actually stand up for itself, and try and protect and increase it's status against the PGA Tour and try and grow as a global alternative. What it did was roll over to have its belly rubbed. The classic tournaments of the past had the best of Europe heading off the challenge the Americans and that combative edge has gone since they all play together every week on American soil. Whilst it has been so for many years now, there is something quite sad about the formalisation of the once proud European Tour as simply another feeder tour producing talent for American audiences to enjoy watching.

CountLippe

Visit site
What I think is a shame is that the Ryder Cup is not Europe v USA but is DP World Tour v PGA Tour.

The hosts of the bunkered podcast have been on twitter discussing it this week and in its first 48 years or something it was exactly that - then it all changed.

I don't think any of the LIV guys make the players group anymore but we're weak on Captains for a while now. Not that all of them would be great Captains.

Interesting point. From the US side its always been the PGA of America (not the tour), versus I believe the GB &Ire PGA and subsequently 'Ryder Cup Europe' which is an amalgamation of the Euro tour / PGA of GB & IRE and PGA of Europe. So basically there is no restrictions on the US side. Can't find anything online about how exactly the euro side changed and why it is mainly run by the euro tour (60%) and not the PGA's.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site

You fail to understand the demographic here, Saudi v Dubai, that would never have happened. Companies looking to do business in Saudi but who have offices for the middle east in Dubai, are being forced to base themselves in Saudi or they can't do businesss there. There'd be no chance of a LIV + DP Tour link-up

D

Deleted member 15344

Yes the players “were” integral to the Ryder Cup - hence the past tense , ( well not Bland ) , but that time is gone now . They made a choice to move to a new tour , the ET made their decision and it’s then up to the players. They have decided they don’t want to be a part of any Ryder Cups going forward.

It’s all down to choices people have made. As they said - they made a choice to protect the future of their families by taking the money on offer to them.

The ET and Ryder Cup appear to no longer a priority for them so both the tour and Ryder Cup will move on now and concentrate on the players that do want to play in the Ryder Cups going forward.

Newnsy

Visit site
You fail to understand the demographic here, Saudi v Dubai, that would never have happened. Companies looking to do business in Saudi but who have offices for the middle east in Dubai, are being forced to base themselves in Saudi or they can't do businesss there. There'd be no chance of a LIV + DP Tour link-up
Think you are looking into the politics of it a bit too much, LIV + DP Tour link up would be as simple as allowing / Inviting LIV Golfers to play on the DP Tour - I am not suggest LiV / Saudi sponsorship of the European tour

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Yes the players “were” integral to the Ryder Cup - hence the past tense , ( well not Bland ) , but that time is gone now . They made a choice to move to a new tour , the ET made their decision and it’s then up to the players. They have decided they don’t want to be a part of any Ryder Cups going forward.

It’s all down to choices people have made. As they said - they made a choice to protect the future of their families by taking the money on offer to them.

The ET and Ryder Cup appear to no longer a priority for them so both the tour and Ryder Cup will move on now and concentrate on the players that do want to play in the Ryder Cups going forward.

But you didn’t really answer my question Phil.

And I’m sure any of Poulter, Westwoood and Garcia would have jumped at the opportunity to represent Team Europe, especially in a captaincy role where they have immeasurable experience of the event..
How is that good for the DPWT / Team Europe?