DP World Tour Feeder Tour ?

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What I think is a shame is that the Ryder Cup is not Europe v USA but is DP World Tour v PGA Tour.

The hosts of the bunkered podcast have been on twitter discussing it this week and in its first 48 years or something it was exactly that - then it all changed.

I don't think any of the LIV guys make the players group anymore but we're weak on Captains for a while now. Not that all of them would be great Captains.
Captain is a non job.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
This is going to be controversial, but I think that the DP world Tour missed a trick when they aligned themselves with the PGA Tour and Not LIV.

If they had it would have improved the fields of Tour events meaning more World ranking points more sponsors more fans and more money for the tour. More money means bigger events which means you attract the top players from the PGA and the DP World Tour becomes a viable alternative to the PGA tour.

I am not saying I am pro LIV Golf just that it would have been a better business decision.
It looks more like the European tour dodged a bullet. They explored it. Pellet discusses it in No Laying Up recently.
The second division to a clear first division PGAT, with a close link up, is a much better long term proposition.
There cannot be two winners. Rival tours are two hobbled tours.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
They have decided they don’t want to be a part of any Ryder Cups going forward.

I don’t think that’s entirely true, didn’t Pelley say in the Bunkered podcast that if you’re not part of the tour then you can’t play on the Ryder Cup? He was careful to word it that way leaving the door open for people to come back at some point, or at least that’s how I interpreted it.
Moving on, let’s say LIV goes tats up tomorrow, does Pelley welcome back the LIV players with open arms or leave them in the wilderness?

D

Deleted member 15344

But you didn’t really answer my question Phil.

And I’m sure any of Poulter, Westwoood and Garcia would have jumped at the opportunity to represent Team Europe, especially in a captaincy role where they have immeasurable experience of the event..
How is that good for the DPWT / Team Europe?

But they clearly didn’t feel it was a priority for them 🤷‍♂️

Who knows if it’s good or not ? They could have been awful captains - better players have made bad captains.

ET made a decision for what they feel is best for them. And the players made a decision for what is best for them

Why does there need to a “good reason”

It’s a choice

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
But they clearly didn’t feel it was a priority for them 🤷‍♂️

Who knows if it’s good or not ? They could have been awful captains - better players have made bad captains.

ET made a decision for what they feel is best for them. And the players made a decision for what is best for them

Why does there need to a “good reason”

It’s a choice

Both sides had a choice Phil, you need to understand that.

All those players that have resigned would have loved to have been involved in future RC’s, even Rahm has come out in support of his mate Garcia having future involvement.

So what good has it done forcing them to resign their memberships?

The DPWT is weakened.
The Ryder Cup is weakened.
The players miss out on an opportunity to represent a team that they have served all their professional careers, often with great success.

So moving forward, how is it now ‘better’?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site

All those players that have resigned would have loved to have been involved in future RC’s, even Rahm has come out in support of his mate Garcia having future involvement.

The DPWT is weakened.
The players miss out on an opportunity to represent a team that they have served all their professional careers, often with great success.

It is better because the DP World Tour will not have upset their PGA Tour overlords and because they have been good they get a nice treat, the honour of their best players heading off to the PGA Tour every year never to be seen in Europe again (outside of majors and the Middle Eastern leg which involves playing in countries with less than stellar human rights records for millions of dollars, familiar)

This is, of course, me being facetious as I honestly have given up caring. It is all so petty, because player a hits a little white ball around for Tour B then he is now no longer allowed to play with golfers from Tour A, oh we all have to hate him now as well and players on Tour B have to all say how hard done by they were by Tour A cause they are all bad now as well. It really is playground stuff and perhaps why golf needs a global governing body that stands above and rules on all tours as there is currently no neutral party to rule on any matter.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Think you are looking into the politics of it a bit too much, LIV + DP Tour link up would be as simple as allowing / Inviting LIV Golfers to play on the DP Tour - I am not suggest LiV / Saudi sponsorship of the European tour
It's business not politics, considering that LIV is literally Saudi govt money, there's no way they'd sanction that link up

D

Deleted member 15344

The DPWT is weakened.

How is the Ryder Cup - weakened ? Surely that’s unknown.

As for the ET - most of them hardly played on the majority of the ET anyway , the likes of Garcia and Poulter were based in the US

If the likes of Rory , Rahm , Hovland had left then it’s a case of the Ryder Cup being weaker as they are the core of the team now , not players who woold prob struggle to qualify even if still playing on the ET

Yes the ET had a choice and they made it , just like the players did

Quite clearly their desire to be Ryder Cup captains wasn’t as strong as their desire to play on LIV and the riches that provides . Stenson didn’t need to think twice about picking LIV

As been stated many times , they can’t have the full cake , their choices came with consequences, and ones they were fully aware of.

Time to move on now. The choices have been made and the relevant parties will deal with them how they see best.

The players picked the riches offered - the ET have picked the players who didn’t move

Springveldt

Visit site
This is going to be controversial, but I think that the DP world Tour missed a trick when they aligned themselves with the PGA Tour and Not LIV.

If they had it would have improved the fields of Tour events meaning more World ranking points more sponsors more fans and more money for the tour. More money means bigger events which means you attract the top players from the PGA and the DP World Tour becomes a viable alternative to the PGA tour.

I am not saying I am pro LIV Golf just that it would have been a better business decision.
Totally agree with you and I said the same at the time. This was the DP World Tour's last chance to take back some control from the PGA Tour but they bottled it and decided to become a feeder tour instead. From reports the Saudi's have funded LIV for nearly 10 years so it was a perfect opportunity for the DP World Tour to have some massive events with huge prize funds, world ranking points and some of the best golfers on the planet.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Totally agree with you and I said the same at the time. This was the DP World Tour's last chance to take back some control from the PGA Tour but they bottled it and decided to become a feeder tour instead. From reports the Saudi's have funded LIV for nearly 10 years so it was a perfect opportunity for the DP World Tour to have some massive events with huge prize funds, world ranking points and some of the best golfers on the planet.
Take back control? Of what?

D

Deleted member 1147

It's unlikely any were going to play much longer, and there's no guarantee that any would have been good captains. So is it a big loss?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Good point. But I guess they saw CASH as preferable to captaincy.

Really don't care. Just another petty squabble that shows all parties in a bad light. That said, the Ryder Cup is a circus these days and I really do not think it matters where golfers come from, who captains and how many picks you get. It is just a money spinner.