Woods to miss rest of golf season

Swiper

Hacker
Visit site
I'm not sure, but do feel it may help the US gel as a team better than they have in the past. Before they have all looked to Woods, now they have to look at each other. this may inspire them.

I still know we can beat them though
:D

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
this was inevitable to be honest but I can't help wondering why he would have played the us open if it was going to lead to more surgery. It is definitely a shame though, and I think if I'm honest we will start seeing less and less of Tiger apart from in the majors- even when he is fit.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bit of a wierd one this.

Not a bad thing for everyone else that Tiger will miss the Open. Maybe now we will see a great battle at the top with people genuinly believing they can win with him not there.

But then there is the good ole, 'would he have won if Tiger was playing'

Shame he's out, he is great to watch. But would like to see other players winning things. Just a shame they cant do it when he is playing.

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just goes to prove what a competitor Tiger is-to win a US Open carrying the injuries he has was a superb achievement-as i said in an earlier post his will to win and sheer determination to win is better than another player in the game.

USA may have a better chance of winning the Ryder Cup now WOods is missing but they need someone to step up and provide leadership and i can't see Lefty providing the leadership.

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It's bad news for golf fans and for his close rivals. Imagine if Justin Rose wins the Open. He'll forever be asking himself, ''Would I have done it if....?''
I just hope that Tiger's problems are not long-term and that his game is not permanently affected.

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Gutted for him and the game in general!!

As someone with no ACL believe me what he did over the last 5 days is beyond normal comprehension. I am lucky as my problem is with my right knee which only takes the stress on the way back,his is with the left which really gets it as you go through the ball!

forefortheday

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Bet a certain Mr Goosen is feeling a little red faced now!

You know he's got the biggest drive of any golfer on the planet at the moment but think how much pain he must have been in playing, maybe he just couldn't resist trying to win it at Torrey Pines.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not surprised. I though the US Open might have been a stubborn attempt to stamp a mark on the season. It's the right choice.
I don't think whoever picks up the Claret Jug will consider it a hollow victory......it's not a guaranteed Tiger charge....ask Padraig or Sergio....

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
It is a sad loss, and may remotivate the yanks, who will feel they are 'doing it' for Tiger in the RC.

I think that who ever wins the next major will get it in the neck from the media regarding hollow victory etc, but no one will remember in the future who was competing, all they will remember is whose name is on the trophy. You can only beat what is in front of you.

B

birdieman

Very bad for golf.
For me there is nothing like the same desire to watch the Open or the PGA without TW in it. I'm not Tiger's biggest fan by a long shot but it will definitely be a hollow victory for those that win these 2 majors, particularly in light of how well Tiger has been playing, when he went through that swing build slump in 2003-04 he wouldn't have been missed as much but nowadays he is so far away the best player that any tournament without him is incomplete and de-valued.
Nothing we can do about it but ultimately extremely disappointing for golf fans everywhere.

grumpyjock

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It is apity he will not be at the open, the sponsers will be gutted.
As to who will win? Let us get behind or own chaps and hope they do well in any event.
just remember that if woods does lose his sponser money it will go to the next best and woods can retire and start making more money opening new golf courses across the world.
just being a bit pedantic.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
No matter how good TW is/was he was never a fan of 'team' golf. Unfortunately the US team will be stronger without him.

There would have come a day when TW retired, maybe this is it. By that token the winner of a competition (and the competition itself) is not devalued because he's not there - except to the sponsors of US events.

The danger for golf is that the sponsors won't be as willing to stump up wads of cash as in the recent past, at least until the next (US) wonderkid appears.

benny

Head Pro
Visit site
Lets not get carried away - retirement is a bit far. He's not had a stroke, he's repairing his knee so he can come back next season even stronger. By sacrificing the rest of this season ( after arguably the finest 12 months by any golfer in history - 2nd at the us open, 1st at the pga, 2nd at the masters, 1st at the us open on one leg, 8 straight wins, 10 out of 11 top 2 finishes or whatever it was!) Tiger is doing it for the greater good - by the time he is 35 Jacks record will doubtless be a distant memory and maybe then we will see if he goes into retirement. Can't help thinking that Tiger will try for 20 Majors before stopping though.
With a stronger knee he will be good to play until his 50's in the shape he's in and lets be honest, if you look at the stats of the last few seasons, and people like OMeara and Singh who came good in their 40s - theres everychance Tiger will win 30 majors plus if he wants to.

I'll not be at Birkdale this year now, it'd be like Queen fronted by Paul Rodgers. And to whoever wins, and thinks 'Could I have won here with Tiger in contention?'. The answer is 'No. I'm afraid you probably could not'. Its not just about one major and lording it like Harrington, its about Multiple Majors now that maketh the man - Phils done it, Goose has done, Singh responded - one is just not enough any more.